My system will be about 2 years old by the time we see Cata (note: WoW is the only thing I do on this computer), so I'm thinking about upgrading a bit. Here's what I have so far:
- RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply
- GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
- ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
- Seagate SV35.3 ST3500320SV 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
- SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM
- Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - OEM
This was the first computer I ever built myself and I just had a friend suggest parts for me, so I really had little involvement in choosing specs and whatnot. I'm still not well versed, but from reading up a bit, I think I can safely upgrade what I currently have rather than starting from scratch (correct me if that's not the case here).
From what I've been reading, it sounds like WoW tends to bottleneck on the processor, so I'm guessing that would be the first place to look, but I don't know if a new one would be compatible with the mobo I have. Seems like I could upgrade the GPU for a quick boost as well (seen lots of good things about gtx 460, so thinking that's a good bet). I'm worried about the 500W power supply though, and whether or not I can upgrade that without getting a new case since the one I have came with the case. And speaking of the case, is it a piece of crap? It's nothing pretty to look at with the green lighting, but I could care less about looks as long as I'm getting the cooling I need.
I don't need a super-duper amazing setup, just something that is comfortable near the top end of the spectrum and so I can enjoy all the cool new graphics features in Cata. I could dump $5-700 or more into it if it needs that much work, but of course the less I spend, the better. Ideally I'd drop ~$500 to say upgrade the processor, GPU, and maybe the power supply, but again, I don't know if that's realistic.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!