10+ Year Old Account

Engineering or Blacksmithing?

sorry, I do not know English and translated the text through promt
    What profession is better for dps Dk. Engineering or Blacksmithing?
    Help with such question - Really all the same bonuses from engineering it is better than 2 gems - 20 strength from BS?
    Whether it is necessary to dump BS on engineering?
    And whether it will be better in cataclysm?

15+ Year Old Account
    For DK Blacksmithing is better

10+ Year Old Account
    Blacksmithing, it's easier to level and it makes more money.

The engineering bonuses are over rated.
    Last edited by Frumpy Frumpy Frak; 2010-08-03 at 02:00 AM.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

All the professions are close as far as the buffs they provide, Engineering has the BiS tank head enchant with 45 Stam but BS gives you two extra gem slots for what ver you like. JC is slightly better then the rest but also one that's kind of a pain to lvl. The big difference is Engineering is VERY fun and has all sorts of goodies that no other profession comes close to. Nitro (Rocket) Boots, Parachute, Bombs and much more. For DPS, the Goblin Thermalsappers are a great boost along with the Hyperspeed Accelrator glove enchants that give you an attack speed boost once every minute. For tanking the Stam head enchant is again BiS and the Nitro Boots are great for either tank or DPS but not required. Getting in position quickly is always a good thing.

For Cata it looks like Engineering will get it's own version of Gem Sockets and Gems with higher then normal stats similar to JC but no one knows exactly how they are going to work. Engineering will also get a new set of goggles with better then average stats. The current ones in game work at lvl 72 or 73 but are ilvl 200 epics, basically giving you a piece of lvl 80 gear long before hitting 80. Same will be true in Cata. Unlike JC, you won't need much of anything crafted by other professions to lvl up your Engineering. I lvl'd Mining and Engineering together in about a week completly from the AH at a cost of about 8,000g. It's hard to do that with most professions and Mining is the only gathering profession that you can lvl simply by buying Ore off the AH.

I don't know about dk's, but for ret engineering/jc is the best you can do. Oh and off topic, your translated English skills are better than most natives lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marinos View Post
    Not for Unholy ( And arguably Frost ) DPS.

Engineering/JC is the best for those 2.

I'd say go Eng if you want, but it's not a huge omg-must-do type of choice. However, it seems like Eng will have their own gems as well in Cata, so that'll probably make it close to #1 for most classes. ( If that stays. )

Quote Originally Posted by marinos View Post
    Engineering is a ~125 DPS increase over Blacksmithing, so how is Blacksmithing better?
    The difference for Unholy should be even higher because of the value of haste for Unholy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering and Blacksmithing are more or less on par, you won't notice a huge difference as far as DPS goes, but Engineering is just much more fun. The toys you get are fun to play around with and in Cata we are getting some very nice upgrades.

Engineering/JC is a very versatile combination that's hard to beat.
    Plus engineering brings so many fun and useful things aside from the dps gain. Jeeves, mailbox, portals, parachute + rocket boots, ... good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

10+ Year Old Account
    That have explained thanks engineering it is really good profession,and rocket boots can help on LK from defilement.

I know people will say blacksmithing, but trust me, GO ENGINEERING! You'll have so much fun with it, it has many useful things (nitro boosts, slow-fall, etc) and many other fun gadgets too. Blacksmithing is pretty boring, and the dps difference between BS and engineering is very small.

I would go for Engi if this is your main, it brings some cool utility, some fun stuff and the haste is pretty good. If its an alt, go for Blacksmitting.
    And with the goblins racial we can be pretty sure Blizz will bring some very cool things to Engi in cataclysm

Engineering really brings some kewl stuff, like rocket boots, parachute (a true lifesaver) and the mindcontrol aswell, i dont use that myself, but its still fun

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd highly recommend Engineering for the sheer novelty of it. The fact that it's competitive DPS is just a bonus. Plus, having both Engineering and Blacksmithing on my Death Knight, I'd say leveling Engineering is far less likely to make you want to stab yourself than Blacksmithing.

As others have said, Engineering is top dog, especially for Unholy, with JC coming in a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Engineering is piss for pve, it brings very little improvement as the rocket boosts, parachute or rocket are almost 0% bump on the dps meter. If you wana comit to pve go bs-jc. It's the ultimate combo.

If you want to pvp, go engineering.
    Far from true.

Engineering offers some great perks, Rocket boots are useful for fights such as halion.

Haste is great for both unholy and frost dw, this makes the engineering tinker very valuable for both specs.

Bombs are another dps boosts, whilst somewhat minor it's still off the gcd, on a fairly short cooldown and free dps.

Not to mention the extra utility you can provide with jeeves, mailbox etc.

Oh forgot to add one thing, extra damage reduction on PP
    Last edited by [Apok]; 2010-08-04 at 01:54 PM.

Engineering also has one of the best glove enchants, and DOES have the best agility enchant for cloaks.

Not to mention exploding gadgets.

As a DK Tank I went JC and Engineering. The 45 stam helm enchant is nice. The armor to gloves is BiS (way above anything else). The nitro boots can be a life saver sometimes (even though it is not the best of min/maxing). But in my opinion losing 15 stam for a controlled charge is worth it to me.

Come Cataclysm things will change a bit. We get new "gems", how ever the new armor enchant is worthless in my opinion. Who wants a Usable armor ability? IMHO It should be set to static.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest