Thread: "Saving time"

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Saving time"

I'm developing a new pet peeve. There are a few dungeons such as HoL where tanks insist on maneuvering around groups to try to save time. And by time I mean 20 seconds. Someone always walks right next to the group we're trying to avoid and pulls and I end up heal tanking them as long as I can and we wipe. The tank will always say we "should" be able to skip them as long as no one is retarded.

What I want to know is where is this magical LFG group without a retarded person that hes referring to? What we "SHOULD" be able to do has absolutely nothing to do with reality. And if you keep banking on "should" and failing over and over then you are more retarded than the idiot who keeps pulling.

I was in one group in HoL where we wiped twice trying to skip one pack. So we get back and the tank insists on trying a third time. I refuse but he just ran off and pulled a group without me and the hunter followed him and pulled the same extra group for the third time and feigned death a third time and I dropped group. I'm not going to spend all day running back until we finally skip that group and save 20 seconds.

This also applies to raids. Especially bosses without enrage timers that the RL insists on doing with two healers even though you keep wiping. He doesn't want to use 2 healers because the fight will take too long and we're in a hurry. So instead we wipe 5 times before finally doing it with 3 healers and easily one shotting it. Yes, we SHOULD have been able to do it with two healers but since one of them is worthless we have to accept reality and work with what we've got.

Leave "should" in never-never land with world peace, racial harmony, and accurate service at McDonalds. They're all nice goals but don't pretend we're there when we're not even close.

Things will ALWAYS go wrong. The sooner you learn to count on that the sooner you'll stop wasting 10 minutes in the name of saving 20 seconds.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

I totally agree. Haste reduces speed. (seriously.)

This reminds me of the incredibly stupid slave pens heroic method of bridge climbing to skip the first bos which would always inevitably lead to a player falling off leading to a wipe and runback.
    Wow News And Guides
    http://www.excandersham.blogspot.com

Wow videos http://www.youtube.com/excandersham

Praise the new Activision-Blizzard overlords.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your sig is oddly appropriate.

Indeed why take a shortcut if the shortcut is going to sink you because someone fucked up the shortcut..

A classic example was back in TBC when people wanted to skip like 5-10 trash mobs from jumping down the bridge in The Slave Pens.. 9 out of 10 times people failed at the jump and had to swim back, run back, skip some trash that was patrolling, because "hey we skip trash".. Ive ended up wasting like 30+ mins by waitng on someone learning where to land at that particulair place.. Whats the idea of that...

10+ Year Old Account
    you are correct...as the old saying goes: "a stitch in time saves nine".
    "Brevity is...wit"

When I'm tanking I will happily skip packs to save time. It's unfortunate that some people fail at something as simple as walking close to a wall, and then come and cry about it on the mmochamp forums...

On the other hand, whenever we do skip a pack, I make sure that I'm ready to pick up the mobs if anyone should pull them accidentally.

if they are all doing their job properly you could easily take mobs up to the first boss without wiping ... its a random hc after all, you just got unlucky

Same goes for peopleskipping the two flying valkyrs in ICC.. Whats the point of skipping those.. At some time they will wipe the whole raid when someone forget about them, while ghost running back to x or y boss..

Quote Originally Posted by Nahte View Post
    Your sig is oddly appropriate.
    If we're discussing anything related to wow my sig is oddly appropriate
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

My personal opinion is that the best way to skip stuff is to make it dead.

Their agro range is surprisingly short that way.

With a few exceptions.
    God damn those casuals and their utter refusal to ever complain as much as the so-called hardcores.

You know this is one of those things tanks hate. Don't go fast enough and the group bitches. Pull a pack that someone thinks you should skip and the group bitches. Skip a pat and some random retard walks right into it without looking and now it's your fault and you've got to fix his/her shit.

I ALWAYS skip the first proto drake in PoS, 75% of groups realize that if they stay next to the wall or run up to the second proto (who I'm usually tanking by this point) they won't pull the pat. 25% of the time I watch as these idiots try to cut the corner when I very deliberately walk close to the wall to demonstrate what they are supposed to do then they just stand there casting in the middle of the road and I watch them for 30 seconds until the pat walks into them. Usually I see it coming long enough to drop a DnD right on their personage, they STILL don't get it. Do these idiots stand in the middle of the road irl?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlfrk View Post
    When I'm tanking I will happily skip packs to save time. It's unfortunate that some people fail at something as simple as walking close to a wall, and then come and cry about it on the mmochamp forums...

On the other hand, whenever we do skip a pack, I make sure that I'm ready to pick up the mobs if anyone should pull them accidentally.
    I would say this is closer to my stance on the issue than the OP. I tend to avoid shortcuts unless they're too simple to screw up. E.g., gundrak, jump in the pool just past the first boss to avoid going through 3? trash packs and a couple pats. It isn't that it's hard, it's just.. much faster, and people almost never mess that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw View Post
    You know this is one of those things tanks hate. Don't go fast enough and the group bitches. Pull a pack that someone thinks you should skip and the group bitches. Skip a pat and some random retard walks right into it without looking and now it's your fault and you've got to fix his/her shit.
    This is also a good point. If you aren't tanking "right", people complain. I've tanked for so many years I don't run into the issue myself, but if I'm on DPS or healing, I see lots of people pointing fingers at the tank.

'tis the price you pay for instant queues. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks are usually pu$$y-a$$ primadonnas anyway. Wanna skip, fine. Let everyone know. Me. I like to kill stuff. I like to press buttons. If it's too much of a hardship, perhaps find another game to play.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    This is also a good point. If you aren't tanking "right", people complain. I've tanked for so many years I don't run into the issue myself, but if I'm on DPS or healing, I see lots of people pointing fingers at the tank.

'tis the price you pay for instant queues. :P
    You know the other day I had some 1.1k dps rogue try to tell me how I should tank the brann event in HoS. Forgive me, but I've been doing this since 3.0.something you're going to have to give me an dang good reason to do it your way. At any rate I consider the tank role as veto power. I'm generally a pretty magnanimous guy, but if you're garbage DPS, if you stand in shit, if you melee from in front, if you can't avoid OBVIOUS PATS, you can suck it up because I'm not changing to accommodate you and I'm not going out of my way to help you. Don't like it, kick me, I'll finish my next group before you finish your current one. Oddly enough I've never been kicked from a group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw View Post
    You know the other day I had some 1.1k dps rogue try to tell me how I should tank the brann event in HoS. Forgive me, but I've been doing this since 3.0.something you're going to have to give me an dang good reason to do it your way. At any rate I consider the tank role as veto power. I'm generally a pretty magnanimous guy, but if you're garbage DPS, if you stand in shit, if you melee from in front, if you can't avoid OBVIOUS PATS, you can suck it up because I'm not changing to accommodate you and I'm not going out of my way to help you. Don't like it, kick me, I'll finish my next group before you finish your current one. Oddly enough I've never been kicked from a group.
    I'm sure said rogue, whom, if he was doing such low dps, was new to heroics and semi-new to the brann event, was just trying to help. But the tank (hey you) was a primadonna and decided to cry and whine.

Quote Originally Posted by Maikyl View Post
    I'm sure said rogue, whom, if he was doing such low dps, was new to heroics and semi-new to the brann event, was just trying to help. But the tank (hey you) was a primadonna and decided to cry and whine.
    He probably was pretty new to heroics in his 5 piece furious, had a couple 200 epic daggers but I don't remember where they came from. I walked to the bottom of the damn stairs, he told me to tank up in the hallway. In my experienced tanking opinion I really like charging mobs right as they come around the corner, extra rage, guaranteed to hit them all with TClap, full of win.

My response his "Tank them up here" was simply "I'm sorry, but you're trying to tell me how to tank?". You're right more than a little prickish, but considering I had a healer and a hunter who liked to hug on shatter, and a full group who liked to watch me demonstrate how to avoid the shock of sorrow stun several times, while they were stunned, and all around shitty dps and heals, I was getting a little frustrated.

I have to agree with this. people are absolutely enraged when I try and pull most of the groups in our way in order to avoid having people accidentally pull extras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

This be the truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Bolvar: Dammit! Kel'Thuzad, its happened again! I need you to go to get me more ice!
    Kel'Thuzad: But my master, the corner store is all the way in Kalimdor!

10+ Year Old Account
    Slow and steady always beats fast and fucked up.
    Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein