Thread: Paladin healing

Paladin healing

What is a holy paladins primary job in a raid? Obviously its not to group heal. I hear people say they are tank healers, but tanks have 100% hp most of the time, so by the time you cast holy light their HP lost is refilled by HoTs... so what exactly do they do in a raid?

Are you kidding? Clearly, you should run some decent content...
    Yep, I'm Lady GaGa. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyGaGa View Post
    Are you kidding? Clearly, you should run some decent content...
    Thank you for that great response, lady gaga.

well, it completely depends. I see myself as a situational healer for about everything. I but a beacon on a tank and i heal the raid if they tank damage, if the raid doesnt take any damage, i heal the tank directly. In 25man on encounters like marrowgar, you most likely have 2-3 holydins, so a beacon for every tank and they mereley just heal the raid and keep the tanks topped off.

In the current state of wotlk, we are desinged to be tank healers. If your tanks are topped off 100% of the time, your healers are doing too much overhealing or your tanks are doing the wrong difficulty content.

What i love doing most is encounters like festerface (typo intended). The tanks take SPIKE damage at the point where the blight goes away, and that is the place where we really shine. Tanks take quite large amounts of damage throughout the entire fight and the raid takes quite a bit aswell. Having a beacon on a tank, and healing the raid with HL/FoL is very viable cus you top your tank off a fair amount, and you still manage to keep the raid alive making pala really viable.

Any paladin that only ever heals tanks is, IMHO, either a bad or a leetist player. I do healing wherever i can, unless i am assigned tank only healer, where i only occasionally through heals on the raid when the tanks dont need it.
    Still waiting for competitive PvP to not be a trainwreck...

If you find yourself not needed in a raid, that means you have to many healers, or you are just to slow off the button. If its the first I'd suggest you go ret, and if no one dies, keep on keepin on. But if its the later, then I dont know what you should do, when I check recount after fights I see paladins main heals are #1.Holy Light #2.Judgement of Light #3.Beacon of Light from the holy light spam....So that tells me that you should keep your beacon and judgement up and just spam the shit out of holy light.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Paladin's are great tank healers because they can heal the MT and beacon the OT. THAT'S why tanks seem to always be at full health.

The easiest way to explain it is to look at a generic fight, not any gimmick fight. Say the boss has a constant AoE pulse for 5k magic damage every 2 seconds and a swing timer of 3.5 seconds with his melee hits dealing 10k per swing.

Sure, the hots would take care of the 5k every 2 seconds if that was the only damage being dealt and there were constant rolling hots. But a Paladin could just as easily cast a single Holy light and heal both tanks to full health instead.

Basically.
    85 Fury Warrior 85 Holy Paladin 85 Resto Druid 85 Blood Death Knight 85 Shadow Priest 85 Fire Mage 85 Affliction Warlock 85 Survival Hunter 85 Assassination Rogue 85 Resto Shaman

Possible problems:

1. To many Healers.
    2. Healers healing wrong targets. Druids should not be healing the tank and leaving a paladin to heal the raid, that is asking for trouble.
    3. Tanks are over geared.
    4. Healers are over geared.
    5. Healers and tanks are over geared.
    6. You are to slow getting heals off. If you are waiting until you see damage on a tank to cast you are waiting to long. When healing in a raid healers tend to be always casting something, if it isn't needed when it is about to finish, interrupt it and start again. If everyone waits until they see the tank take damage to start casting the tank could die.

From what you have said I would guess that you have way to much healing for some reason. More info would help. What are you raiding?

We're primary tank healers, simply cause we do it better than anyone else. Beacon the tank you're assigned to and heal the raid. Regardless if tanks need healing or not, I'm constantly spamming HL. And once you start doing HM fights, the tanks will constantly need heals..
    The content you're doing is either too easy, or you're running with too many healers. Perhaps someone should assign heals too, so there wont be as much overhealing.

To heal..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Bolvar: Dammit! Kel'Thuzad, its happened again! I need you to go to get me more ice!
    Kel'Thuzad: But my master, the corner store is all the way in Kalimdor!

Deleted
    If you have nothing to heal, your raid contains way too many healers.

Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    Possible problems:

1. To many Healers.
    2. Healers healing wrong targets. Druids should not be healing the tank and leaving a paladin to heal the raid, that is asking for trouble.
    3. Tanks are over geared.
    4. Healers are over geared.
    5. Healers and tanks are over geared.
    6. You are to slow getting heals off. If you are waiting until you see damage on a tank to cast you are waiting to long. When healing in a raid healers tend to be always casting something, if it isn't needed when it is about to finish, interrupt it and start again. If everyone waits until they see the tank take damage to start casting the tank could die.

From what you have said I would guess that you have way to much healing for some reason. More info would help. What are you raiding?
    Yeah... except in Cataclysm we won't have the mana-crutch we've had through all of Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLostFish View Post
    Yeah... except in Cataclysm we won't have the mana-crutch we've had through all of Wrath.
    What does that have to do with what I said?

With the current raid I am playing with, I have that same problem. There's almost no damage taken by the tanks except on fights like Festergut and I do heal the raid with beacon on tank but there's still little damage going out. Obviously, this probably means we're overgearing content so not much I can do about it (I only pug and we do a few hardmodes).

On a side note, I find myself ooming spamming holy lights, while pleaing accordingly, am I not suppose to do this?