Login screen and GFX oddity

This isn't so much a "help me!" thread as it is me wanting to see if I'm the only one experiencing this. I did try to report this to the official Tech Forum, but considering the thread wasn't given any attention (it wasn't even locked) and the last patch didn't fix it, I'm guessing they don't care.

Here's the thing, when I reach the login screen, my GFX card will instantly start to overheat. Usually I don't stay at the login screen long enough for anything to happen, but the problem arises when I get AFK disconnected, since it will boot me to the login screen where it will stay until I am no longer AFK.

I first noticed it after starting the game and then going AFK to have a smoke. I noticed how the fan noise increased dramatically in a very short time and so I installed a GFX card temperature gadget to see what was going on.

I launched the game and let it hang on the login screen. My GFX card temperature was 52ºC when it started and by the time I closed the game window to avoid overheating, the temperature said 80ºC. The time it took for this increase in temperature was less than one minute!

It should be noted that when I log in and actually play the game, my GFX card runs at around 60ºC. Logging in when my GFX card is at 80ºC will cause it to drop almost instantly, though recently I've noted that hanging on the character selection screen also causes high GFX card temperatures.

Now, I've made it a habit to never go AFK for more than 10-15 minutes without shutting down the program first, to avoid it booting me to the login screen, but I've also noticed that minimizing the window stops the overheating. It doesn't reduce the temperature, but it prevents it from rising.

Today, though, I made the mistake of going AFK to get a smoke, but instead I decided to go make dinner. I, being a single male, made dinner in about 10 minutes, but then I turned on the television and noticed X-Files was on. An hour later I returned to my room and the computer fans were going crazy. I could even feel the temperature rise in the room and the radiant heat almost knocked me over. I turned on the monitor and the GFX card temperature gadget showed the card to be at 92ºC, which is not really a temperature I'm comfortable with having inside my cabinet.

I closed the login window and the temperature dropped to 60ºC in a matter of half a minute (normal temperature given the room temperature). Apparently it doesn't go higher than 90ºC, which is a relief, so my card won't burn to a crisp. But still, there is no reason why the login screen, running that stupid Sindy animation on loop, should cause my GFX card to go into the red. I don't even get that kind of action when I'm playing video games on way too high video settings.

Anyone know what might be causing this? Anyone experienced anything similar? If you have a GFX temperature program, it's quite easy to test. Just open the login screen and let it be for a couple of minutes. If you don't have a GFX temperature program, just let it be and note any increase in fan speed, assuming you've got fans and not hydrogen or water cooling, of course.

60c is no problem. 90c might be though. You might try reinstalling/upgrading your graphics drivers. Check the settings in the drivers and make sure the fan speed is on auto/automatic. If it is you might try setting it yourself to about 35 - 40% and see if that makes a difference.

That actually sounds like the major bug there was in one version of the nVidia drivers, best to update to the latest drivers if you haven't already.

If it's not due to that, then I have no idea.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

One stuff like that happens always update drivers first. My PC only does what you described when I am in the lagfest that is Dalaran, which from what I read is pretty common for the zone. But the log in screen is a strange one.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead. And that World of Warcraft... died with him"

Also there is a macro to limit the fps of the game. It might not make any difference but its worth a try. I would limit it to between 35-45.

Also it kinda sounds like the starcraft 2 problem where on the menu peoples GFX cards where over heating and that was because there was no fps limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

If you don't have vertical sync on from the gfx options your fps will rise like mad in the logging screen since there ain't much happening there, which causes that heat most likely... atleast that was the thing that helped me with the same problem with my nvidia 285 card :>

There were issues with at least one version of nVidia drivers a while back which screwed up the fan control a while back.
    As suggested, try looking for updates be it nVidia or ATI.
    If you can find some means to do so, try monitoring the fan speed also.
    If the fans are running at a high speed, and the temperature still goes up, then that is a hardware issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its not a new problem. Its been around for quite a while and it even poped up in the SC2 campaign ship.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...95260004&sid=1

Simple solution: Dont sit on the log in page to long to avoid the temp rise.