Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question G15 macro. Legal or not?

Let me first describe, what you could do, to tell me, if this could get me in trouble or not:

When playing a Ret Pally your Rotation is pretty Simple. You use the hardest hitting spell, that first comes off cooldown.

So what you theoretically could do with a g15 keyboard.
    1) bind the spells to keys 1-6 in order of priority.
    2) Create a G15macro, that presses keys 1-6 in one single keypress (maybe 10 ms delay between 1-6).

this macro should normaly use the optimal skill by only pressing one button.

Is something like this considdered botting?

I know, that you never will play perfectly using such stuff! I do not care, if you like the idea! All i want to kow, if this would be legal or not.

Sorry, if my english isnt that fluent

Thanks for your help in advance!

I'm pretty sure you could do this with a normal keyboard and some macroskills, so no.

EDIT: Oh and would that realy be any fun at all? Once a ret pala, always a ret pala I suppose... Us normal people play for the challenge, and there realy is NO challenge in clicking one button over and over again. I mean, thats worse than facerolling!
    Last edited by Sleepysnik; 2010-08-07 at 07:30 AM. Reason: moar dots
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

Deleted
    My advice would be to just press these buttons yourself and become a better player. A "macro" like that can't know when it's not optimal to use that combination. If you absolutely want to play like a "bot" then ask Blizzard first?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus4eva View Post
    As long as you are still pushing that button, its legal. Once it becomes automated (Creating a loop script to push that button) then it becomes a bot
    I'll have to correct you on this one.
    If one button press actually triggers delayed button presses (automatically), it becomes "illegal" by blizzard terms.

yes its legal and it will work but i wouldn't recommend it. you might fall asleep and stand in defile.

for sure i would not play that way all i want to know, if things like this are legal or not.

there are uses for such macros. i just picked an extremer example,to clarify, that you can in some way automate things.

It is legal, until you put additional 'control' in the macro - for example

If your button activates A,B then C - it is fine.
    If your button activates A, sleeps(200ms), B, then sleeps(200ms) then C - it is against the T&C.

That is - whilst the player decides when to press a button it is fine, when an automation does it is not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    It is legal, until you put additional 'control' in the macro - for example

If your button activates A,B then C - it is fine.
    If your button activates A, sleeps(200ms), B, then sleeps(200ms) then C - it is against the T&C.

That is - whilst the player decides when to press a button it is fine, when an automation does it is not.
    Correct, since you can achieve the first scenario with changing actionbars in macro's.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    I'll have to correct you on this one.
    If one button press actually triggers delayed button presses (automatically), it becomes "illegal" by blizzard terms.
    so anything using a delay would be illegal? to stick with pala examples:

[bubble] + 1,5s delay + [heartstone] would be illegal?

Deleted
    Yes, since the second button is delayed and you are not actually sending a keyboard event at the moment it is pressed.

so anything using a delay is generally illegal and can get you banned, right? sry for asking that often. but i decided to play around a bit with the keyboard and dont want to risk a ban just for trying out some possibilities

thanks for your replies so far!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
    so anything using a delay would be illegal? to stick with pala examples:

[bubble] + 1,5s delay + [heartstone] would be illegal?
    I'm not sure, but I believe you could achieve that with something more simple:
    /cast Divine Shield
    /stopcasting
    /cast Hearthstone
    Saving for Cata.

As long as you are physically there pressing a button it should be ok however I have read about people being banned using similar programmable keyboards and mice that GMs said were making it to easy. Just depends on who you talk to really

10+ Year Old Account
    It won't be Illegal as there is not statutory offense to be breached. Thus anything you do in WoW cannot be Illegal, it merely breaches the ToS and allows Blizzard to take measures in House.

However i cannot see it breach the ToS as you have to manually press the one button which inturn does what it's programmed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brealaa View Post
    It won't be Illegal as there is not statutory offense to be breached. Thus anything you do in WoW cannot be Illegal, it merely breaches the ToS and allows Blizzard to take measures in House.

However i cannot see it breach the ToS as you have to manually press the one button which inturn does what it's programmed to do.
    By that logic, it wouldn't breach the ToS if you had a bot that activated by pushing a key.

well. it does what blizzard changed so you cant do it anymore.

in vanilla you could create macros containing several spells triggering the GCD. when you used this macro it took the first spell that could be used (not on cd). blizzard didnt want that anymore and only allowed one skill per macro that triggers the GCD.

using g15 macros, like i described one, does eactly what blizzard disabled.

so ... is it a workaround or simply illegal thats what im interested in.
    Last edited by TheDuke; 2010-08-07 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbor View Post
    By that logic, it wouldn't breach the ToS if you had a bot that activated by pushing a key.
    Correct, I think i mistype what i was trying to say. What i am trying to say is nothing you do in WoW can you be held accountable for in the real world, short of blizzard banning your account.

Deleted
    You can get banned if you get caught.
    You probably won't get caught.
    Decide for yourself.

okay so i better forget it and just use the 18 extra keys for simpler tasks like open/close bags

i dont wanna risk my acc for just trying some stuff...
    thank you all for your help!

So many answers and no official sources qouted ....

Anyway, what Blizzard dont allow is something that makes the decision what to press when for you. - A macro as describes do not do that, it only activates something that is off cd, and the same effect can me programmed in-game for the most part.

However, if you think optimal dps playing a ret is achived with pressing whatever is off cd without making any decisions you ar sadly mistaken ....