Page 1 of 3
LastLast

(Lore) What is keeping the burning legion from landing on Azeroth?

I realize that many demons are trapped in a separate dimension (Sometimes the twisting nether is a separate dimension and sometimes it is talked of as if it is simply outer space). However, it is said that the Burning Legion has conquered and occupied numerous planets including Argus (which is in the "real world.") So, if they have an extensive presence in our plane of existence (as opposed to the Twisting Nether), why don't they simply "fly" to Azeroth and land on the surface rather than attempt to enter through dimensional portals?

One possibility: they are traveling to Azeroth by conventional means as well but it is very far away. We know that the Titans and Old Gods and and Draenei travel(ed) from planet to planet so it appears as if some sort of space-faring technology/magic exists. It might just be slow. Problems: 1. The Exodar can apparently fold space/travel great distances in an instant. Outland is home to some space-faring races that managed the trip too. One would think a being as old, powerful and intelligent as Sargeras would have access to similar or superior technology/magic (unless the Naruu are more than just an advanced space-faring race). 2. It appears that Draenor/Outland is not particularly far away from Azeroth based on the prominence with which it appears in the sky.

Another possibility: Space is heavily patrolled by the Titans tasked with destroying the Burning Legion. It is wasteful/useless to attempt to attack a planet directly via "armada" because the Titans would quickly take note of the Legion's movements and stymie their efforts. They may have also erected some sort of net to prevent folding/instant travel across some regions of space. Argus and other conquered planets might also be quarantined/under siege, making it impossible to breach the blockade without dimensional gates.

Of course, in-game the reason is simple: Blizzard doesn't want us to fight them yet and it's hard to have an MMO if Azeroth is nuked from orbit. Is there a lore reason I am missing?

for some reason or another, they're only able to get here by being summoned. the more powerful the demon, the bigger and more difficult to create without drawing attention portal you have to make. quite a frustrating process, it's a miracle they've conquered any worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I thought they could only get here via portals and we keep stopping them. They're kinda like Team Rocket but a lot more badass.

Its a bit of a giant gap in the lore i guess. I think the whole idea was that the more people on aezeroth use magic , the more power becomes available on the planet. With more power on the planet bigger portals could be opened or some nonsense. Basically the whole magic is bad thing that the night elves and malygos were pushing on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe azeroth is cloaked, i dont know. Too many planets for Sargeras to sift through, cant leave his planet at his current bodily state. Could be anything

10+ Year Old Account
    There are two known "planes", the Great Dark, where Azeroth is, which is like normal space. And then, there is the twisting nether, and being on a completley different plane, requires portal travel to cross between, and is home to all of the Burning Legion's forces. So they somehow send scouts from conquered worlds to others in the Great Dark, using means such as the Exodar, to corrupt the mortals there and summon the rest of the army. the reason they do not do this on Azeroth is that one spaceship full of lower level demons wouldn't make a deference. Draenor is now in the twisting nether, likely due to a powerfull spell that anchors it to the other demention, rather than pulling it into it completly. thats why we can see Azeroth from the Black Temple, a warp in space time.
    Last edited by Selastan; 2010-08-08 at 07:51 AM.

Maybe the titans are not nessecary looking after us, but watching us. If they sent Algalon to judge weather or not the planet was corrupt they obviously care to some extent about us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunmist View Post
    I thought they could only get here via portals and we keep stopping them. They're kinda like Team Rocket but a lot more badass.
    Haha soo true, I don't understand that some littler minions could get into Azeroth as we sometimes see them in several zones and the more powerful one's can't such as Illidan.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to warn you that the mention of old gods will bring the coming of Darkside, But I was to late =(

Not big on burning legion lore, so cant really help ya out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunmist View Post
    I'm sry, but no one is more bad ass than team rockett.
    "Why are you wearing that stupid Man suit?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphori View Post
    I'm sry, but no one is more bad ass than team rockett.
    yea, they are the only ones to kill a pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    yea, they are the only ones to kill a pokemon
    I don't recall a pokemon ever dying?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krenden View Post
    in the first games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by army1237 View Post
    Haha soo true, I don't understand that some littler minions could get into Azeroth as we sometimes see them in several zones and the more powerful one's can't such as Illidan.
    It's been stated that beings of lesser power can travel more freely among worlds. While it took the power of the Sunwell to bring Kil'jaeden to Azeroth, and the Well of Eternity to bring Saregeras, smaller demons can easily be summoned by a single mortal of average magical capability.
    Signature? Feck!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krenden View Post
    OLD OLD Manga

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a lore gap, though it may as you say, they're homebase of operations may be under a massive siege, we never ventured deep into space, god knows what's out there, there could be other races attacking, could be the titans, could be the naaru, hopefully we'll see those wonders in a future expansion :P
    "It is fortunate
    to be favored
    with praise and popularity.
    It is dire luck
    to be dependent
    on the feelings of your fellow man."

isnt it oblivious HOGGER

Deleted
    They are butthurt from the last war...
    So they regenerate now, preparing for the next expac.

WTB Protoss Invasion <3
    In the Groves of Death