guardian of ancient kings

i remember when they first announced this that they said it would be an automatic pet (like a non-unholy dks ghoul)
    GC in a post today said they didnt want it like that and that holy will have to select who it heals and prot ret wont just be able to fire and forget
    how much pet control do you think we will need? will it be like a hunter/lock where we can just point them at the target and they will attack automatically or will we have to manually select every spell?
    who else dosnt like the sound of this

also holy shield proccing on inquisition and SoTR sounds like a step in the right direction

For Holy: GoAK heals the target that YOU heal. That's what GC meant by player control.

I wouldn't expect a petbar.

Deleted
    If it's gonna work like an automatic pet like a DK's ghoul (non-talented) it doesn't have a petbar. So it's just doing everything it wants, you can't control it. But I haven't tracked the development of this talent so I can't really say anything firm, only guesses and second guesses :P

15+ Year Old Account
    I have some question for Guardian of the Ancient Kings:
    • How many different healing spells does he have?
    • What's the information on his healing spell(s) (cast time, healing amount, affect by caster stats, etc.)?
    • If he heals your target, will he then cancel his spell on previous healed target when you're healing a new target?

Deleted
    It's not in beta yet (level cap is 83) so nobody can answer those.

It's unknown if it will ever be in beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebeau View Post
    For Holy: GoAK heals the target that YOU heal. That's what GC meant by player control.

I wouldn't expect a petbar.
    well thats good i thought he ment litereally controll it in targetting and everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    AFAIK last time we were given info on GAnK the Holy version heals your target, I'm guessing he'll have the same cast bar as you, so the problem with Target switching wont matter. I.E you'll cast say.. Holy Light, when your bar reaches 100% you'll see your healing, then another burst of the 'Guardians' healing
    Ret's is a stacking buff on you, plus I think he Melees your target at the same time.
    Then Prot gets Shield Wall....yay interactive :P
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Jaitee View Post
    i remember when they first announced this that they said it would be an automatic pet (like a non-unholy dks ghoul)
    GC in a post today said they didnt want it like that and that holy will have to select who it heals and prot ret wont just be able to fire and forget
    how much pet control do you think we will need? will it be like a hunter/lock where we can just point them at the target and they will attack automatically or will we have to manually select every spell?
    who else dosnt like the sound of this

also holy shield proccing on inquisition and SoTR sounds like a step in the right direction
    What he means by 'it won't be fire and forget,' is that you won't just summon it and it does whatever it does automatically. For example, if you are Holy the guardian repeats the heals you cast on a target, similar to DRW, except the Guardian's heals also do an AOE to players near said target for 10% of the initial heal. Unsure of Ret/Prot. Okay. Just switched to my Ret spec on the beta, and it updates the tooltip depending on what spec you're in. I'll post them here.

---------- Post added 2010-08-10 at 08:29 AM ----------

Retribution: Summons a Guardian of Ancient Kings to attack your target for x seconds. While active, your and your guardian's attacks cause you to be infused with Ancient Power, increasing your strength by 20 per application. After x seconds or when your Guardian is killed, you will release Ancient Fury causing 102 damage, plus 102 per application of Ancient Power, divided among all targets within 10 yards. (So basically, this is identical to the effect of Shadowmourne, except on a 5min CD.)

Holy: Summons a Guardian of Ancient Kings to protect you for x. While active, your next 5 heals will cause the guardian to heal the same target for the amount healed by your heal, and targets within 10 yards of the target for 10% of the amount healed.

Protection: Summons a Guardian of Ancient Kings to protect you for x. While the guardian is active, all incoming damage is reduced by 60%.
    Last edited by Egitel; 2010-08-10 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egitel View Post
    What he means by 'it won't be fire and forget,' is that you won't just summon it and it does whatever it does automatically. For example, if you are Holy the guardian repeats the heals you cast on a target, similar to DRW, except the Guardian's heals also do an AOE to players near said target for 10% of the initial heal. Unsure of Ret/Prot. Okay. Just switched to my Ret spec on the beta, and it updates the tooltip depending on what spec you're in. I'll post them here.

---------- Post added 2010-08-10 at 08:29 AM ----------

Retribution: Summons a Guardian of Ancient Kings to attack your target for x seconds. While active, your and your guardian's attacks cause you to be infused with Ancient Power, increasing your strength by 20 per application. After x seconds or when your Guardian is killed, you will release Ancient Fury causing 102 damage, plus 102 per application of Ancient Power, divided among all targets within 10 yards. (So basically, this is identical to the effect of Shadowmourne, except on a 5min CD.)

Holy: Summons a Guardian of Ancient Kings to protect you for x. While active, your next 5 heals will cause the guardian to heal the same target for the amount healed by your heal, and targets within 10 yards of the target for 10% of the amount healed.

Protection: Summons a Guardian of Ancient Kings to protect you for x. While the guardian is active, all incoming damage is reduced by 60%.
    ret and holy sound cool prot sounds just like a divine protection clone ...hopefully they will find something a little fancier

Quote Originally Posted by Jaitee View Post
    ret and holy sound cool prot sounds just like a divine protection clone ...hopefully they will find something a little fancier
    Except that Divine Protection is getting nerfed to 20% damage reduction. 60% is a pretty huge amount. Especially for being unaffected by Forbearance.

If I had to take a guess, the holy GAnK won't have a cast bar: it'll simply throw out an instant heal whenever you land a heal. It kind of sucks that it copies your next five heals, and not a fixed period of time, though. I imagine it would be a lot more fun to pop GAnK and spam flashes/shocks on as many targets as you can for 10 seconds than it will be to pop GAnK and throw out five holy lights. :[

Also, does anyone know if GAnK will react to Healing Hands or Light of Dawn?

15+ Year Old Account
    Read my post halfway down on http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=86150:

Guardian of the Ancient Kings behaves differently based on your Specialization:

Holy:
    Summons the Ancient Healer, who uses the Light of the Ancient Kings spell to also heal your target. It is unknown if this is only applied from Single target healing, or all healing.

Protection:
    Summons the Ancient Guardian, who uses Ancient Guardian to reduce all incoming damage dealt to the Paladin.

Retribution:
    Summons the Ancient Crusader, which causes the paladin to gain Ancient Power each time the Guardian attacks. When the guardian is defeated or flees from battle, Ancient Fury is released, causing damage split between all targets in range. The damage dealt from Ancient Fury is unknown.

While the bonuses are nice, the Protection one seems a bit bland.

Also, GAnK is Immune to damage, but maybe not CC- That is unknown.

Unless it attacks really fast or is out very long, it won't be that big of a damage boost for ret.

Quote Originally Posted by Egitel View Post
    Except that Divine Protection is getting nerfed to 20% damage reduction. 60% is a pretty huge amount. Especially for being unaffected by Forbearance.
    they could have just left DP how it was and made our fancy new spell fancy and new instead of being the old DP (with a 10% boost that will probably get taken away)

a better one would have been casts a shield on you that reduces all incoming damage by X% (probably 20%ish) and absorbs X damage per second (think sacred shield but weaker and refreshed every second) all damage absorbed this way is mirrored back at the attacker
    that gives a very nice tanking CD with a little threat damage reduction and damage absorption all rolled into one (supposedly) very visually appealing spell

---------- Post added 2010-08-10 at 10:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Unless it attacks really fast or is out very long, it won't be that big of a damage boost for ret.
    your attacks and the guardians attacks each give you 20 strength...if SoC (seal of truth in cata) retains its 1 attack becomes 2 ability then every auto attack will give u 40 strentgh most special attacks will give you 40 strength
    using my bad math skills ill work out what that would equal
    say a 3 second swing timer (cause thats easy to work with)
    after 9 seconds u end up with 6 attacks so +120 str (more with buffs)
    in 9 seconds you get 6 GCDS if only half of them proc SoC thats 9 attacks for 180 str

so +300 str after 9 seconds

not sure how long it lasts but the usual length for a DPS CD is 20 seconds (atleast i the ones i can think of off the top of my head)

so around 640 str at the end plus the damage from the guardians attacks then 31 stacks of that thing explode for 3100 damage (which i assume is heavily modified with AP/SP)

My point is it will only provide about as much damage as a shadowmourne proc(scaled with level) and a minor strength increase for a short duration, not anywhere near as good as Avenging Wrath or trinket procs. I'll take any damage cooldown I can get, but unless they add some obscene numbers it's not going to do very much for us for PvE or PvP.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Holy seems a nice healing boost. However, the smart heal had the advantage of being a little different. The new setup is basically the Glyph of Holy Light. Its also limited by the fact its lasts only for 5 heals.

The Prot version is a bit bland. Yes, its needed since they felt the need to remove Divine Protection as Shield Wall, but I think it needs a little something special...the mitigation is nice, though. Hard to say what could be added to it without making it seem OP.....warriors would certainly cry over it. I like the Reflect some damage back idea. Then there is the restore mana/health/hp concept. Provide a temprorary boost to DPS?

The Ret version is essentially Shadowmourne. Worried about scaling. Maybe if it added 1% of you STR per stack instead of 20.

Also...if GAnk is immune to damage, how can it be defeated?

I would also like to see the Redemption spell changed to use the graphical effect. If it is the same as the WC3 graphic, it would be a good way to introduce the idea that Paladins summons guardians to help him perform tasks.

Better yet, paladins get Mass Resurrection baseline and this would be the graphic for it However, I don't want to see it used for the Guild Mass Resurrect.

EJL