Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemist View Post
    since when did "serious playing" = "willing to pay more" boiling down your point you basically want wow to be free but for blizzard to sell gear... so i'm going to say No like the rest of the people here.
    What I am saying is that it would actually take away the casuals players or the ones that just play to "spend some time" and make a line between those and the ones that want to play in a competitive, hardcore way. I'm not a nolifer, but when I play and am using, for example, the Dungeon Finder, I'd like to meet with serious and skilled players, not guys who actually don't know how to handle their character properly because they play one hour a week. You see my point?

Deleted
    when will you understand that blizzard isnt making money with SERIOUS PEOPLE

15+ Year Old Account
    What I am saying is that it would actually take away the casuals players or the ones that just play to "spend some time
    I...don't know what to say....

....Worst idea I've ever seen.

How about a history lesson.

After Evercrack, WoW was made to be the 'casual' MMO. It was MADE to be that way. It didn't become that way.

Now tell me, why would they kill off getting money from the people they aimed the game for?

Everyone is paying the same price to play the game right now (around $15ish depending on how often you pay) and that means you can play however you want, do you want to sit in a city and play the AH? thats fine you are allowed to because you payed to play, do you want to be a war who wears cloth because it fits with your roll playing? again you payed, you get to play how you want. just because YOU don't like running into those people doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to play how they want to. You can leave the LFG... you can form your own groups... or just don't pug and those people will never ever affect your gameplay. (oh and random dungeon finder isn't end game content anyway, i would be curious to know how many "serious players" still do those all the time)

No. just no.

No. Free To Play MMO's are bad.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heris View Post
    Well, like I said, I think that doing so would take away a lot of "non-serious" players and thus improve the quality of gaming for those that are willing to pay maybe a little more than actually.
    No. Because NO ONE who plays WoW likes a game where people who pay have an advantage over others, besides, who doesn't do high end content? Even with casual people, a good % of the WoW pop do heroics atleast, and it'd be a BAD move for Blizz to do what you mean. Check their interviews, WoW will always be Pay to play, cause that's how they want it to be. And for the reasons stated above, I think it'd be a bad idea. There, rational discussion, and people seem to agree for now :P

But that's also ruining a lot of serious players' gaming on a daily basis.
    ...How?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    WoW trials have a level limit of 20 last I looked?
    Wow... Seriously? If you buy WoW, you get 30 free days, he wasn't talking about the trial :/ Although 60 on 5 chars, for a newbie; isn't possible. Come on, who the hell would level that fast when they don't know what's a spec?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTKF View Post
    Wow... Seriously? If you buy WoW, you get 30 free days, he wasn't talking about the trial :/ Although 60 on 5 chars, for a newbie; isn't possible. Come on, who the hell would level that fast when they don't know what's a spec?
    Oh right. I don't remember this, lol. It was a long time since I started WoW...Oddly enough I do remember the trial, probably because I wet myself from the excitement!

Thanks anyway.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemist View Post
    Everyone is paying the same price to play the game right now (around $15ish depending on how often you pay) and that means you can play however you want, do you want to sit in a city and play the AH? thats fine you are allowed to because you payed to play, do you want to be a war who wears cloth because it fits with your roll playing? again you payed, you get to play how you want. just because YOU don't like running into those people doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to play how they want to. You can leave the LFG... you can form your own groups... or just don't pug and those people will never ever affect your gameplay. (oh and random dungeon finder isn't end game content anyway, i would be curious to know how many "serious players" still do those all the time)
    Don't you know? Everyone in Paragon/Premo do them dailies for the PS everyday. Cause gold is serious business.

Seriously though, what you said, is all that had to be said. Sadly I can't /thread... But I would.

---------- Post added 2010-08-11 at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Oh right. I don't remember this, lol. It was a long time since I started WoW...Oddly enough I do remember the trial, probably because I wet myself from the excitement!

Thanks anyway.
    Np I remember that cause I was so anxious when I could DL the trial, and then finding out it was till level 15 made me cry, so I decided to buy WoW/BC, and that's how it started :P Sorry if I sounded a bit dicky too :P

Quote Originally Posted by ripslyme View Post
    when will you understand that blizzard isnt making money with SERIOUS PEOPLE
    AKA blizzard realized they can make a cheap buck off the LOLOMGNOOBWTF morons.

Forgive me if I did that wrong I'm not too fluent in dumb @ss.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTKF View Post
    Recruit a Friend.

When I first read "Make It Free For Everybody," I thought, "Hell, no!" The day an MMO goes from pay-to-play to free is the start of its downfall.

When I actually read the post, all I have to say is this:

The game has 11 million active subscribers. A vast majority of those are Casuals. That scheme would cause Blizzard to lose the vast number of casual players the game has. They won't ever deliberate do something with the sole intention of reducing subscriber numbers.

You'd have to be both insane and a complete moron to pull that kind of business move off. They already showed how much they care about subscription numbers but taking back their RealID forum plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

No...just no...

Blizz doesn't want to offer opportunities for people to pay to be better than others. All micro transactions they have are purely cosmetic, and have no affect on gameplay. I think if you look at the games where people pay to be better in the game, they aren't that popular, and it's that way for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

this would essentially make wow a premium account game which is very bad.
    it also allows players to get better gear by paying for extra content, which is one step away from letting people buy tier gear outright rather than having to earn it.

then any old scrub can get the best gear in the game cos they have a rich daddy.

i can't pt into words how bad an idea this is
    medicus quercum, venit.
    One's soldiers should not yell abuse at the enemy. "Arouse a bee and it will come at you with the ferocity of a dragon." - Takeda Nobushige

What I am saying is that it would actually take away the casuals players or the ones that just play to "spend some time" and make a line between those and the ones that want to play in a competitive, hardcore way. I'm not a nolifer, but when I play and am using, for example, the Dungeon Finder, I'd like to meet with serious and skilled players, not guys who actually don't know how to handle their character properly because they play one hour a week. You see my point?
    It would not leave just the serious players. First ok yeah you make it to where at lvl 70 you pay a one time fee (sounds like an expansion already!!) to get the new content which is the dungeons, so you're still playing with the same people pretty much.
    Oh you have to spend so much each month to raid? Not like majority of the population already doesn't spend 15$a month to lvl, farm and raid. So in theory the people that are "casuals" or in a lot of the view points "shitty" players will more then likely continue to shell out the money to keep pace with the content the "hardcores" have access to. Problem still not solved.
    The final option which seems to be you're biggest concern is only having hardcore players in your content, is to charge in insane and assinine amount to where yeah only a VERY SMALL percentage would be able to afford to pay it. After this proposed change though, guess what!!?? You'll still have shitty players in your dungeon/raids. Even shittier now cause they have a complex that w/e they say should go because their paying an asshole of an amount of money.

Bottom line, no matter the price(specially free) you're going to have people that play this game for what the developers intended it to be, a hobby. Some people pour hours and money into hobbies, while others only poor in minimal time and money. No matter what you do your going to have people that you think shouldn't play.

The f2p module works for some companies (DDO for example) but not in the context you're thinking. No matter what, specially if you go to f2p you're going to have people of lesser skill/talent/w.e then you(making it
    f2p will just promote even more farmers and children)

Easiest solution for you, would be to grab up all your "friends" and play on a private server or find another game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    And, on a more hostile sidenote that I can't put in a news post. Seriously, who the fuck takes mmowned as a reliable source to the point where news sites will just repost it without any double check? Now I'm sad, or mad, or both. I don't know. >
    Thanks Boub for this epic sig! lol.

Deleted
    It could work but I'd quit, I dislike paying for in-game things (like TRH, Kungfu Panda, or Mini KT), and paying £20 every two months is fine by me, at the Cinema that'd be 9 hours of entertainment and I'd get a LOT more from WoW for two months.