Poll: Would you like to see Raiding mods gone?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

If you could, would you ban raiding mods?

I am not talking about mods that help you heal, see debuffs, hell I will even let Omen slide, I am talking about mods like Bigwigs, DXE, DBM, and the now broken AVR. AVR I am glad was broken but also was sad because it was nice to use for positioning. Anyway I think mods take away from the game and trivializes fights, what do you guys think?

EDIT wanted to add, yes I know they will never go away, I am just saying if you could make them never exist in the first place.
    Last edited by zenkai; 2010-08-12 at 05:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Addons like these have been around for a long time, I don't see them going away.

Deleted
    I understand the breaking of AVRe. But it seems AVR was just caught in what i am now naming; BLIZZ RAGE!!!!

I think I could recreate most of their vital functionality using the in-built Blizzard stopwatch function and having a post-it note attached to my screen saying what happens at what time, but think that that's annoying to do compared to just using the mods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would I ban them? Not really, but only because they're barely any help. There's no substitute for manual preparation; if you turn up to a boss fight well-informed you never need bossmods in the first place.
    ~ Vengaul | Jaréth | Vengaul | Kettrícken | Astríd | Aribëth | Beauregarde | Lechùck | Guybrùsh | Nozomî ~

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I am not talking about mods that help you heal, see debuffs, hell I will even let Omen slide, I am talking about mods like Bigwigs, DXE, DBM, and the new broken AVR. AVR I am glad was broken but also was sad because it was nice to use for positioning. Anyway I think mods take away from the game and trivializes fights, what do you guys think?
    Well actually Blizzard balances a lot of high end raid content around the assumption that people have Deadly Boss Mods or an equivalent, thus making for much more interesting fights.

You should really take off the effin rose coloured glasses and actually think about a lot of the older raiding content.

Nub in the group: I don't know this fight.
    Raid Leader: It's a tank and spank. Okay.
    Fight #2.
    Raid Leader: Okay this ones another tank and spank but when the boss makes an emote you want to run to the opposite side of the room and continue the tank and spank.
    Fight #3.
    Raid Leader: Okay this ones just another tank and spank.
    Fight #4
    Raid Leader: Okay this one is a tough one... It's a tank and spank, but at 50% an Add comes out and you have to switch to the add and kill it, and then its a tank and spank again.
    Fight #5.
    Raid Leader: Okay this ones a tank and spank but there are 2 guys and they have to die at the same time.

etc etc.

If you call that interesting you are absolutely insane.

people would create their own ways of creating the mods... hell they could even go as so lowtech as starting a timer when a boss fight started to see when the next ability was going to go off for timed abilities/debuffs. dbm,DXE, etc also warn about debuffs on you, which one persona could just be called out in vent (which usually happens anyways, which also would not affect play that much), area effects things like shadow trap people would just have to keep their eyes open for and again ppl calling it on vent... im trying to think of a fight where dbm n stuff does more than that. but to be honest, it doesnt really trivialise things, it just makes it a bit more obvious for pepole who can't quadraple task (or however many things you pay attention to during a boss fight).

Quote Originally Posted by unillenium View Post
    Well actually Blizzard balances a lot of high end raid content around the assumption that people have Deadly Boss Mods or an equivalent, thus making for much more interesting fights.

You should really take off the effin rose coloured glasses and actually think about a lot of the older raiding content.

Nub in the group: I don't know this fight.
    Raid Leader: It's a tank and spank. Okay.
    Fight #2.
    Raid Leader: Okay this ones another tank and spank but when the boss makes an emote you want to run to the opposite side of the room and continue the tank and spank.
    Fight #3.
    Raid Leader: Okay this ones just another tank and spank.
    Fight #4
    Raid Leader: Okay this one is a tough one... It's a tank and spank, but at 50% an Add comes out and you have to switch to the add and kill it, and then its a tank and spank again.
    Fight #5.
    Raid Leader: Okay this ones a tank and spank but there are 2 guys and they have to die at the same time.

etc etc.

If you call that interesting you are absolutely insane.
    It is an illusion that vanilla raiding was hard. The only thing hard about it was getting the res gear, getting geared in general, getting 40 people in a raid, and getting 40 people attuned. The boss fights were very easy.

I don't use DBM or similar and I do very well. I just don't find it much fun to just do whatever comes up on the screen. It's like taking a math test with the answers written on the board. Sure, you have to do the equation but it's very hard to turn in with a fail in situations like this.

Also, I think some of them should be banned. I'm a boomkin with about 5.75k gs and I don't use any combat addons other than DBM and I'm top 5 dps all the time.

Before there was raiding mods telling you everything and marking everything I would get all I know from emotes or watching the Boss.

For example, on Ony, back when GH was a 4 second cast, I would precast it, see her head tilt back and let it fly, it would land almost right after the tank took fire breath bringing him back to full. It's stuff like that I miss, what makes me sad is with all the mods telling you not to stand in the fire, people still do

Aren't boss encounters designed around people having bossmods anyway nowdays?

Quote Originally Posted by Matran View Post
    I'm a boomkin.
    /golfclap

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I'd prefer that Blizz just straight banned ALL mods... and just made some changes to the UI to fill in the gaps (like they did with the wardrobe).

Unfortunately, for that to work, they'd have to (a) have a USEFUL threat meter (like Omen), (b) have better raid frames (is this in the Cata beta?), and (c) be able to just move stuff around on your screen. (That last is key: having health/resource frames off in the corner means more eye movement, which means less efficiency - that's why most people move them closer to the center.)

The rest of my mods are aesthetics or just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Matran View Post
    It is an illusion that vanilla raiding was hard. The only thing hard about it was getting the res gear, getting geared in general, getting 40 people in a raid, and getting 40 people attuned. The boss fights were very easy.
    Uh, have you cleared all the raids in vanilla? ever done C'thune without a range finder, I have healed every raid since release and raid healing was the hardest in vanilla vs any other ones I have seen. Yogg 0 is probably the only thing I think even came close to Vanilla raiding.

Deleted
    Blizz are designing boss mechanics in mind that *almost* every 80s have DBM or whatever they're called. I would like someone killing LK HM without any boss mod

People who play other competitive games often use desk-mounted timers to keep track of things like weapon respawns. It's silly. No, I would not ban such addons.

Quote Originally Posted by DocQuantum View Post
    To be honest, I'd prefer that Blizz just straight banned ALL mods... and just made some changes to the UI to fill in the gaps (like they did with the wardrobe).

Unfortunately, for that to work, they'd have to (a) have a USEFUL threat meter (like Omen), (b) have better raid frames (is this in the Cata beta?), and (c) be able to just move stuff around on your screen. (That last is key: having health/resource frames off in the corner means more eye movement, which means less efficiency - that's why most people move them closer to the center.)

The rest of my mods are aesthetics or just for fun.
    Except that there is an Addons directory, and built in Addon support. It's almost as though they intended for people to create addons.

The Combat log is clearly not meant for human eyes, because it would be impossible to actually follow. But if you could the game by default has a system by which it will tell you which mob is targeting which player and casting which ability.

But low and behold independant scripters created an addon that can convert that information into a raid warning and automatically use the build in raid target icons when certain things appear in the combat log.

It's almost as though Blizzard thought it would be better if the WoW community came up with it's own "proper" method of making use of the information in the combat log.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Blizz are designing boss mechanics in mind that *almost* every 80s have DBM or whatever they're called. I would like someone killing LK HM without any boss mod
    Actually blizzards stance/goal on mods is to have players not need them. I know they keep mods in mind when they do it but they put in plenty of their own warnings with emotes to let you know what is about to happen. I actually prefer audible emotes over visual notifications

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Uh, have you cleared all the raids in vanilla? ever done C'thune without a range finder, I have healed every raid since release and raid healing was the hardest in vanilla vs any other ones I have seen. Yogg 0 is probably the only thing I think even came close to Vanilla raiding.
    You're comparing there to something in late vanilla, after it became clear to Blizzard what kind of mods people were using. Look at the mechanics in Molten Core instead.