Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    Well fights and even trash is supposed to be more CC heavy in Cata so you will probably be expected to bring it if you are Marks. It's already very useful in WotLK as an actual CC tool and not just a minor DPS boost. I just use it like normal for DPS on fights that don't need it but when dealing with caster trash or fights like LDW I save it so I can actually use it to silence something. Big fight where it comes in handy is actually Dreamwalker Heroic as melee can't always get to a Mage the very second it spawns and it's really nice to make sure it doesn't get it's Frost Bolts off. I expect we will see it become more important in Cata.
    We'll have to wait and see if it becomes more useful, but as of WotLK standards it's nothing more than a dps boost.

I don't really think you're going to be "expected" to bring it like you would be "expected" to bring something like TSA. I really can't see any raid leader saying "Oh, sorry, MM hunter, we're not gonna bring you on this raid because you can't interupt once every 30 seconds."

See now you're contradicting your own logic. If it's a utility talent, it's something that some people take and others don't. So if raid leaders "expect" you to have it, that basically makes it mandatory, and then it's not really a utility talent anymore.

Are some MM hunters going to take it to be more useful? Yes probably. Are a lot of MM hunters also going to skip it to do more dps? Yes, most likely. I dunno about you, but most dps that I've met (including myself) are a bit of dps crazed. It's the reason that you don't see hunters running around with Hawk Eye, for instance. Nice utility talent that can be very useful in certain situations, but you have to sacrifice dps talents to get it, so no one does.

Quote Originally Posted by shakkenbake View Post
    Silencing shot's damage probably accounts for 1% of your totaldamage in a normal ICC boss fight if macro'ed into all your shots. That 1% will easily be wrapped up into some other ability and if you honestly think that there will be no talent points left over to be able to pick up silencing shot without sacrificing dps, well then my friend haven't been reading any blue posts for the past 3 months.
    Go to the current beta talent build and make an MM spec. You'll find that you can fit all your points and then some into dps increases in some form or another. I'm going off the current beta build, because I can't exactly know what the final trees are going to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by internetheroxD View Post
    If this is the right way to do it, all pro's are doing it wrong..
    If someone doesn't have their SilS macro'd to all their other shots on fights like marrowgar, saurfang, fester, rot, putri, etc., they're certainly not a "pro." The only fights that really warrant un-macro'ing it are deathwhisper, dreamwalker, and LK, and even then it's far from a necessity to un-macro it.

Yeah I agree with this change. It really created completely mindless clutter and unnecessary macros just to get automatic extra damage. Completely pointless. Rather get that meager damage from something that I didn't just bind to commonly used keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Good.
    ^^^^^^^^

Meh,
    I don't like this change.

Its really to fun to burst a SiS together with a ChimShot.
    Otherwise, this skill is kind of invisible anyway.
    Do we get something in return by the way?
    TBH, we lose more then we win..

Quote Originally Posted by grolschs View Post
    Meh,

What do you mean are we getting something in return? It's not like this is a change they're pushing live right away and will be a dps nerf. This is Blizzards way of saying "we feel you've all been using the ability wrong, or at least not how it was intended to be used, so we're changing it to discourage that behavior."

I don't macro it in with all my shots. I actually use it for it's intended purpose of interrupting and silencing, and yeah, in a fight where that isn't needed, I'll just fire it off when it's off CD. In my opinion one of the hunter classes biggest strengths is our versatility, and silencing shot just gives us more of that.

I like this change. Now if they could only make it baseline instead of talented...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grolschs View Post
    Meh,

Well, instead of using a 50% damage shot, you can chain Chimera>Arcane>Arcane or something, since our GCD is only one second in Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by internetheroxD View Post
    If this is the right way to do it, all pro's are doing it wrong..
    Pros macro it in for pretty much everything. The only fights that it would be beneifical to not have it macroed are stupid easy anyways so there is no point. Except of course for LK, where its useful to have it for interrupting the spirit. And the "pros" will be doing heroic LK anyways, where its a different mechanic inside the frostmourne room.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

It's off the GCD, macro or no macro makes no difference. If you can watch the cooldown and use it yourself, you'll do the same DPS as "the pros," and you won't have to change your buttons for interrupt fights like LK. Honestly, the MM rotation puts me to sleep, having something like SlS to watch is the only thing mildly interesting hunters have left.