Arrow Will we as tanks be able to self-heal ourself (in-combat) when Cataclysm hits?

Will we as tanks be able to self-heal ourself (in-combat) when Cataclysm hits?
    That's my question.

Because if I'm not mistaken - we can actually pick from the start of the Fury talent tree after we complete Protectiont talent tree.
    And what have we there? (Blood Craze - After taking any damage, you have a 10% chance to regenrate 7.5% of your total Health over 5 sec.)
    Plus (+) Start of the Arms talent tree we have (Field Dressing - Increases your self healing abilities by 20% and all healing effects on you by 6%.)

So does this mean that we will be able to self-heal now, kinda?

Deleted
    Not really, no. Healing ourselves 1,5% of our health every second when BC procs is not enough to be considered "self-healing" (It gives you an edge, but it's not something you can rely on). If you tank current level content and have enough mobs on your ass to keep this up at 100% of the time, they will hit you for more than 1,5% of your health per second.

Getting all these talents which increase healing, give you some health ticks and even allow us to Victory Rush for some health does feel good, though. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Not really, no. Healing ourselves 1,5% of our health every second when BC procs is not enough to be considered "self-healing" (It gives you an edge, but it's not something you can rely on). If you tank current level content and have enough mobs on your ass to keep this up at 100% of the time, they will hit you for more than 1,5% of your health per second.

Getting all these talents which increase healing, give you some health ticks and even allow us to Victory Rush for some health does feel good, though. :-)
    Current state is that we have no self-healing as Warrior tank, so even if it's small amount of healing I like it!

Deleted
    Frenzied regen ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes i can imagine it being great for soloing old content too, especially with block working as percentage of dmg now

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be dual speccing Prot (Threat) and Prot (Self-healing) anyway.

Instead of having to spec some funky bloodthirst spec for soloing shit like Baron Geddon/Skeram, can just go self healing spec. Not to mention it'll be good for high damage boss fights.
    "The truth, my goal."

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    I'll be dual speccing Prot (Threat) and Prot (Self-healing) anyway.

Instead of having to spec some funky bloodthirst spec for soloing shit like Baron Geddon/Skeram, can just go self healing spec. Not to mention it'll be good for high damage boss fights.
    I don't think the 3 points in Impale will outweigh a pretty decent amount of self healing that will be up pretty much consistently. Its not that much threat.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

Quote Originally Posted by Battousai View Post
    I don't think the 3 points in Impale will outweigh a pretty decent amount of self healing that will be up pretty much consistently. Its not that much threat.
    Looking at the current talents if enrage from fury stacks with the enrage from improved defensive stance you'll be wanting that over deep wounds. Pretty much the moment they took TC and Cleave off of Incite Deep Wounds became optional.

15+ Year Old Account
    i'll prolly go rude interruption coming up on 85, it depends on how rage feels. if it feels plentiful, then ill prolly go battle trance, war academy.

but yeah, you'll probably want a separate spec for self-healing, like someone suggested up top. the stuff in the fury tree seems more attractive, threat generation-wise.

edit: Enrage looks highly over-budgeted for prot specs. three points for a 9% chance? fury uses 2 weapons, i can't see Enrage being cost effective for a prot warrior, especially over war academy.
    Last edited by msdos; 2010-08-14 at 11:43 PM.

Blood dks, yes. probably the rest of em. Not really

Quote Originally Posted by Archimourne View Post
    Current state is that we have no self-healing as Warrior tank, so even if it's small amount of healing I like it!
    Enraged Regen?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankminimia View Post
    Yes i can imagine it being great for soloing old content too, especially with block working as percentage of dmg now
    The old style of block is better for old stuff.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    i'll prolly go rude interruption coming up on 85, it depends on how rage feels. if it feels plentiful, then ill prolly go battle trance, war academy.

but yeah, you'll probably want a separate spec for self-healing, like someone suggested up top. the stuff in the fury tree seems more attractive, threat generation-wise.

edit: Enrage looks highly over-budgeted for prot specs. three points for a 9% chance? fury uses 2 weapons, i can't see Enrage being cost effective for a prot warrior, especially over war academy.
    I'd say it all depends on how much we end up using heroic strike. With HS no longer being on-next-swing I'm not sure how often I'll end up using it even if it's off the GCD. It just doesn't seem like it'll be as important as it is now to maintaining threat.

Whereas a 9% chance to gain 10% more damage every 1.5 to 2.6 seconds depending on weapon speed (as I'm assuming the tool-tip just means white hits) is going to be a much larger bonus I think and effect more of your abilities. I think this is going to be especially true as you gain more hit rating so your white hits are capped.

Either way though Blizzard has definitely come through with their promise of making the trees more interesting and giving us options for our post-31 points.

---------- Post added 2010-08-15 at 04:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Foibles View Post
    The old style of block is better for old stuff.
    Yes and no. On the one hand the current (old) style means that trash essentially can't hurt you.

On the other hand with how the new block will work with blood craze you should not only be avoiding most incoming damage but healing far more than what can come in. Although that's going to depend somewhat on if Blood Craze can stack with itself or just refreshes, but I fully expect an easy time soloing a lot of old world content and keeping our self-HP up easily through blood craze and a lot of trash. (I'm looking at you Magtheridon!)

This is especially true since we'll be looking at HP levels close to or exceeding 100k.

Yeah... 500go in 15min soloing Matheridon will be fun

And yes, Palaprot can already do it.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    While I have nothing to back this up with, the Bastion of Defense enrage most likely won't stack with fury's enrage, so spec-ing in to that would be a waste of talent points.

As far as self healing goes, with Enraged Regen. Blood Craze, Field Dressing, and Impending Victory, Warriors are looking pretty good.

Personally, I'm looking at http://www.wowtal.com/#k=IfWc111.9vn.warrior or http://www.wowtal.com/#k=kK9X8K6.9vn.warrior as my 85 heroic tanking spec, to me self healing in an environment where everyone is at relatively low gear levels is invaluable. Especially with the new model blizzard has for healer.

Also considering the options for Additional threat via the arms or fury tree, the only one I would consider really strong would be Deep Wounds, and I can't imagine that spec-ing far enough into arms out weighs any of the prot talents. this is how I'm looking at it:

Battle Trance: Shouldn't be necessary as prot, especially with Shield Spec. & Shield Mastery.
    Cruelty: Only effects SS, it seems pricey. At higher gear levels I'd take it over field dressing, but not at entry gear levels.
    Enrage: Shouldn't stack with Bastion, but don't know my self.
    Rude Interruption: This talent is a gamble, as not only are more dps classes getting interrupts,(see paladin) they to are getting more incentive to use them, (see fury warrior, and Mage). So every time your shield bash comes late, you lose the rage, and the 2 talent points spent are a waste. On top of that, you would have generated more threat just devastating again rather than trying to shield bash for the buff.
    War Academy: It sounds good, but we won't be Heroic Striking near as much.
    Blitz: Could be amazing for 5 mans, this is going to give your dps a chance to either front load, or CC I would take this and/or Field Dressing
    Deep Wounds: I feel like this isn't as strong as it used to be, I mainly have it on my Warrior now because I have Impale, which helps with threat a lot, but is not available to tanks in Cataclysm. The Synergy in the prot tree makes it seem like taking points out of it just grab Deep Wounds will hurt your threat rather than boost it.
    Last edited by Varamis; 2010-08-23 at 10:08 PM.