Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Paladin tank vs Warrior Tank

Hey guys, so i'm thinking of playing the role of a tank and i cannot decide whether to be a tank on my warrior or pally, so i'm basically looking for suggestions and blindly following opinions of people because its too hard to decide, and I have no tank gear on either toon
    Quote Originally Posted by tosa
    Your missing a Golden Retriever and a large tub of vaseline. Even then, your only tiptoeing the line.
    I ave semi-wood reading this thr.... No wait, upgrade that. Yes I am just THAT filthy in mind. The things i would eat out of female draenai's ass is unthinkable.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, I have tanked as warrior tank but it was at low level like 27-57 and it works fairly well. Just stack up sunder armor and keep AoE'ing for awhile. I have a lvl 80 paladin tank and they are very easy to play as tank at lvl 80. the only thing you have to really worry about is your mana when you have a disc priest as healer ;P I'd say play tank as the one you enjoy it more on if you cant decide then I'd say go as warrior. this is only my point of view
    ''Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack'' -Sun Tzu

10+ Year Old Account
    paladin is very easy,
    warrior is harder but more rewarding,
    depends on what you like

Depends on what you want to do.

They're both easy rotation wise. Anyone who tells you otherwise can't play their class.

Warriors have interrupts and stuns, Paladins have hands and other raid support.

And then there's flavor, Light-blessed Defender or Stalwart Juggernaut.
    Last edited by Lightfist; 2010-08-14 at 01:43 PM.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Id say warrior is more fun but I shelved mine for a druid I have all tank classes at 80 now, warrior is definitely my second favourite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh My God Lightfist posted in my Thread, I love sylvanas and tim <3

Seems as though Paladins are kinda the average but warriors are like ArP, metophorically speaking : The more ArP the better?
    : The More geared a warrior tank is the more rewarding it is?
    Your missing a Golden Retriever and a large tub of vaseline. Even then, your only tiptoeing the line.
    I ave semi-wood reading this thr.... No wait, upgrade that. Yes I am just THAT filthy in mind. The things i would eat out of female draenai's ass is unthinkable.

Warrior single target tank gives you painfull hands from slamming your buttons, pally ST tank requires some thought somethimes..

I like warriors

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    Depends on what you want to do.

They're both easy rotation wise. Anyone who tells you otherwise can't play their class.

Warriors have interrupts and stuns, Paladins have hands and other raid support.

And then there's flavor, Light-blessed Defender or Stalwart Juggernaut.
    Finally, I'm sick and tired of my fellow warrior tanks claiming the rotation is difficult and as a result they are more skilled than paladins. No rotation in the game is hard, and as you siad, if someone says it is, they suck.

However, the warrior "rotation" is definitely mroe stimulating than the paladin one, and the utilities of a warrior will keep you happy, I don't even want to imagine not having charge.

As a total estimate, I'd say you would probably enjoy the warrior more, as that seems to be the opinion of the vast majority.
    "The truth, my goal."

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    Finally, I'm sick and tired of my fellow warrior tanks claiming the rotation is difficult and as a result they are more skilled than paladins. No rotation in the game is hard, and as you siad, if someone says it is, they suck.

However, the warrior "rotation" is definitely mroe stimulating than the paladin one, and the utilities of a warrior will keep you happy, I don't even want to imagine not having charge.

As a total estimate, I'd say you would probably enjoy the warrior more, as that seems to be the opinion of the vast majority.
    And I can't imagine tanking without being able to put Hand of Salv on a high DPS on heroic Deathwhisper, or popping Divine Sacrifice right before a large wave of raid damage.

It's flavor and context. I like warriors. I like tanking with warriors. I just like Paladins more. If anything, you may have to try both, Warlock.

Deleted
    I have played pala tank since pre tbc anmd i recently lvled a warrior and tbh warrior is more of challenge and alot more fun after playing pala tank but if you wanna slack and take it easy then play pala xD

say what you want about paladins .. but .. CHARGE is single handed the best and most fun skill in WOW!!! when you get warbringer and can charge,intervine and intercept around the mobs .. its freaking so fun!

Paladins are great and all, but sir spam-a-lot ez. Warrior provides a challenge and extream fun.

I have all 4 tank classes. And after playing my warrior tank for almost 6 years .. hes still the most fun tank to play.

Im playing DK as my main atm, but being runelocked gets quite frustrating- i think you need to be a really good player to make DK tanking worth while, pala is too easy, druid is too spammy, and warrior just feels right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that i think about it, Perhaps if i put in a few points to how i'd like to tank:
    1. Be able to solo Stuff such as ZG bosses for mounts
    2. Be able to tank without worrying too much upon CDS
    3. Be able to survive in a boss fight where if the healers go oom, they have enough time to put manatide totem etc and then be able to heal again or something along the lines of s soft enrage that lasts 15 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Gazgul View Post
    say what you want about paladins .. but .. CHARGE is single handed the best and most fun skill in WOW!!! when you get warbringer and can charge,intervine and intercept around the mobs .. its freaking so fun!

Paladins are great and all, but sir spam-a-lot ez. Warrior provides a challenge and extream fun.

I have all 4 tank classes. And after playing my warrior tank for almost 6 years .. hes still the most fun tank to play.

Im playing DK as my main atm, but being runelocked gets quite frustrating- i think you need to be a really good player to make DK tanking worth while, pala is too easy, druid is too spammy, and warrior just feels right.
    Challenge? Where's the challenge in your rotation?

Keybinding Heroic Strike? =/

Quote Originally Posted by Bugmán View Post
    I have played pala tank since pre tbc anmd i recently lvled a warrior and tbh warrior is more of challenge and alot more fun after playing pala tank but if you wanna slack and take it easy then play pala xD
    Slack and take it easy? You're doing it wrong.

I'm never taking it easy on a fight, unless it's a fight we can do with our eyes closed.

I'm tanking, mitigating raid damage, and applying necessary hands the entire time.

No tank class has a hard rotation. Period. End of story, end of discussion. No class in WoW has a truly hard rotation come to think of it, at least not one that could be gotten pretty well with a little research.

Deleted
    The you'd want a paladin.

Paladin is with death knights one of the best soloing classes of the game.
    Paladin rotation will change much in cata so i cant really comment on how it will turn out, but beeing a paladin tank is for me not about managing a rotation. its about raidutility. You have 4 "hand of" you can throw around, divine sacrifice wich is a raid cooldown.

Paladin is easy to be good at, but hard to be really great at. By the looks of your list Id say paladin as:

1. Paladin are the general better class at soloing old content
    2. Paladins have only (for now) one CD thats on demand, Ardent defender proccs automatically
    3. With AD and bubblewall, even switching to seal of light/judgment of light, a paladin can stay alive for quite some time (unless its against a full blown raidboss.

Deleted
    To Lightfist. Only reason i say it slack is coz you can just cons and auto attack with SoC/SoV on and browse the web:P least its what i do unless it i fight i need to move xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    And I can't imagine tanking without being able to put Hand of Salv on a high DPS on heroic Deathwhisper, or popping Divine Sacrifice right before a large wave of raid damage.

It's flavor and context. I like warriors. I like tanking with warriors. I just like Paladins more. If anything, you may have to try both, Warlock.
    You missed the point. I'm not speaking of the raid support involved in charge, I'm speaking of the fun factor - I wouldn't like to tank without a gap closer, or at least death grip.

And I don't know any decent warriors that bind heroic strike or cleave (to their other abilities), in fact that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

The fact that there are abilities that can be used while on the GCD, that you have to use cleverly based on your rage reserves, that alone makes it more stimulating than a paldin rotation.
    Last edited by Tuvok; 2010-08-14 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "The truth, my goal."

Quote Originally Posted by artog View Post
    The you'd want a paladin.

Paladin is with death knights one of the best soloing classes of the game.
    Paladin rotation will change much in cata so i cant really comment on how it will turn out, but beeing a paladin tank is for me not about managing a rotation. its about raidutility. You have 4 "hand of" you can throw around, divine sacrifice wich is a raid cooldown.

Paladin is easy to be good at, but hard to be really great at. By the looks of your list Id say paladin as:

1. Paladin are the general better class at soloing old content
    2. Paladins have only (for now) one CD thats on demand, Ardent defender proccs automatically
    3. With AD and bubblewall, even switching to seal of light/judgment of light, a paladin can stay alive for quite some time (unless its against a full blown raidboss.
    Basically what he said, besides his third poiont, i think warriors have quite a few handy cooldowns available when taking more damage/healers are oom.
    I have tanked on my pally up to 80 and i currently tank on my warrior and although tanking on a paly u can solo old content easier (if interested in ZG i finish fights with 10% hp anyway, kara on the other hand, pallies can solo clear it while i have a hard ass time on easier bosses)I find playing a warrior is more rewarding, and has a more controlled feeling. One of the deciding factors id have to say is if youd rather play off mana or rage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great posts, seems that, Paladin tanks for soloing might be the idea however with that said, Warrior tanks seem to be the "tank" class for tanking, (IMO Don't rage at me paladins)in conclusion it seems both classes are plauseable with little difference other than mana vs rage complexities. I may start out having a feel for tanking in general and work my way up if i feel i want to make it a mega raid junkie

In terms of rotation/priority, there isn't really a hard one, it's just that Druids can be pretty boring due to the fact they use a really limited number of abilities (let say 4 top ), DK have a pretty fixed rotation, but what makes then a little "tricky" is the fact you need to think ahead of time of what can/will happen so you aren't rune starved when it happens (a rune starved dk is pretty much as useful at tanking than a piece of bread).

Pallies have it really easy on AoE, otherwise it's nothing really hard, tricky part is managing raid utility (hands and DivSac mostly) while not fucking up your rotation and keeping the maximum threat/damage output.

Warriors aren't harder really, it's just that there is quite some buttons to push (when outside raids mostly, cause otherwise boss are immune to more than half their tools sadly ), but they *feel* far more dynamic than pallies or druids, i don't know why.
    I've got the 4 tanking classes, my favourite is the dk, in instances the pally makes things easier, specially when you've got morons at your back that can't grasp they need to wait for you to stop and get initial aggro on all mobs before going all out on the ones you are trailling behind you ), but the war just feels a lot more like you've got something to push/do all the time, and react to some things (cooldowns on abilities and procs).

I don't really know how to explain it otherwise. On a side not, frost dk tank is really close to the warrior in terms of dynamic feeling due to the procs and alternance of single target/aoe abilities.

edit>> oh and right now, the best class to soloing (specially old raids/instances), is hand downs the DK, Hybrid Blood/Unholy tank spec followed by a Blood tanking spec. Paladin only come after.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musra View Post
    well, I have tanked as warrior tank but it was at low level like 27-57 and it works fairly well. Just stack up sunder armor and keep AoE'ing for awhile. I have a lvl 80 paladin tank and they are very easy to play as tank at lvl 80. the only thing you have to really worry about is your mana when you have a disc priest as healer ;P I'd say play tank as the one you enjoy it more on if you cant decide then I'd say go as warrior. this is only my point of view
    Don't paladins get mana back on a parry? AFAIK, the PW:S only absorbs hits, so parry, block & dodge still happens.
    Last edited by Mahican; 2010-08-14 at 02:55 PM.