Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Interesting Shaman Ability

Lighting Tether
    (x)mana
    (x)yard range
    The shaman fires a continuous stream of electricity into the targeted enemy who becomes grounded, reducing movement speed by (x). Any enemies caught between the shaman and the stream recieve (x) damage per second. Lasts (x) seconds. (x min cooldown).

(I know it's alot of (x)'s but I don't know about balancing so I'm not going to insert the numbers.)

This is how it works:
    {S}=Shaman
    {T}=Target
    ---=Lighting Stream
    o=Enemies caught in Stream

{S}----------o----------{T}

So, the Shaman continuously charges this electrical stream into the target and can move around in a circle while casting to aim the stream at enemies in between! It's an interesting mechanic to make a somewhat hybrid AoE/projectile spell. Plus I have seen quite a few elemental Shamans complaining about the blandness of their spell rotations, so this can spice things up a bit!

Thoughts?

EDIT:I didn't explain it well enough for the first couple of posters but here is the diagram that explains it better.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5312950...n/photostream/
    It might be fun and add a fresh variety of gameplay!
    Last edited by Vesheke; 2010-08-17 at 08:28 AM.
    Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold.

Wait, so if I understand this correctly, then this is a nature version of Mind Flay? If so, then no thank you.
    If I misinterpreted it, let me know.

EDIT:
    Now that you've posted the diagram, it's a really unique and cool sounding ability.
    My problems with it would be more of a PvE centered argument (i.e. how can it actually be used on anything other than streaming little adds with little health?).
    Last edited by Radux; 2010-08-16 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Updated after clarification

Sounds like the Curtain of Frost spell Mages are getting. (or w/e it's called)

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

I love the if it's another spell just worded differently/named then no. Have you seen half the spells ingame? This would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Wait, so if I understand this correctly, then this is a nature version of Mind Flay? If so, then no thank you.
    If I misinterpreted it, let me know.
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Foibles View Post
    Sounds like the Curtain of Frost spell Mages are getting. (or w/e it's called)
    Nah, it's different from Curtain of Frost, that is a line shaped AoE that you set on the ground. Here is a vid of Curtain of Frost:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...Jgw&feature=iv

OK, you guys didn't quite get the idea,
    BUT HERE! I made a pretty good diagram that will explain exactly how the ability works:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5312950...n/photostream/

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Isn't "Lightning Tether" a spell used by the Tripod mobs in Zangarmarsh?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Isn't "Lightning Tether" a spell used by the Tripod mobs in Zangarmarsh?
    lol, never knew it had the same name. I just picked a random name and went with it haha

Bloodsail Admiral Unkhrahuun the Atoned's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not to go COMPLETELY off topic, but i always thought it would be rather cool if shamans got a Forked Lightening ability. Maybe make it a cone-lightening? O_o idk, either way, i think it'd be a fun spell =] although it would probably reduce the use of CL =/

I like the idea... but ele don't need any more abilities to faceroll their target.
    Still looking for a reason to come back...

Quote Originally Posted by zchmch1 View Post
    I like the idea... but ele don't need any more abilities to faceroll their target.
    Hah! I'm just glad that I got some people to understand it with the new diagram! The damage doesn't need to be total faceroll, but if it's not faceroll it's not ele, am I right?

Really? Really? No one's going to say it? *sigh* Alright

Quote Originally Posted by Vesheke View Post
    The shaman fires a continuous stream of electricity into the targeted enemy who becomes grounded, reducing movement speed by (x). Any enemies caught between the shaman and the stream recieve damage per second.
    DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPistachio View Post
    Bornakk lifts the cup of coffee up to his mouth...
    ...when the Scythe of Elune comes crashing through it.
    ???: I can't you let you brew that, Starbucks!

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it. A very interesting sounding ability, and would be one further push in the "scrap my rogue, play my Shaman moar" direction.

So few abilities in the game are as unique as this!
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Nah, it's different from Curtain of Frost, that is a line shaped AoE that you set on the ground. Here is a vid of Curtain of Frost:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...Jgw&feature=iv
    Off Topic here, but LOL at the Scorch kiting in that video, if that makes it live, that's just op :/

anyway back on topic, i see what you mean, you're meaning it like the blood link thing that Blood Queen does in ICC, and if anyone gets into that lightning laser between two characters, the enemies in there take damage. It's an ok idea, but in all honesty, topping AoE meters isn't even important in a scale of things, plus you've got Earthquake as ele anyway, and i don't really see an enhancement using that spell.
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

This is actually a fairly interesting idea, kinda like halions pew pew lasers, but toned down.

Would be a bit better if the damage done to the target who crosses the beam is split with the target OF the beam, kinda like the person crossing takes the brunt of the beam and some gets passed onto the main target.

Would be kinda cool, first shaman thing I've agreed with all day...

Deady Boss Mods: "Lighting Tether on you! RUN!" *beep noise*
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

15+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like it might be cool, but watch your variables. Technically, everything is the same number.

PS I wonder if Bateman will hop in here
    Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    I'm weird in any culture
    If life's a stage, when's the after party?

Quote Originally Posted by Axlash54 View Post
    It sounds like it might be cool, but watch your variables. Technically, everything is the same number.

PS I wonder if Bateman will hop in here
    I have my bat ready if he does, I think I'm Vladdy Guerrero

i for one think its a great idea, u made a very original spell there. (atleast ive never seen it before)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastrcapn View Post
    I like it. A very interesting sounding ability, and would be one further push in the "scrap my rogue, play my Shaman moar" direction.

So few abilities in the game are as unique as this!
    Haha, I'm wit yah! I'm also a Rogue who's also gonna roll a Shaman! Alot of Rogues are re-rolling. As a matter of fact every class has a thread about rerolling...

Quote Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
    This is actually a fairly interesting idea, kinda like halions pew pew lasers, but toned down.

Would be a bit better if the damage done to the target who crosses the beam is split with the target OF the beam, kinda like the person crossing takes the brunt of the beam and some gets passed onto the main target.

Would be kinda cool, first shaman thing I've agreed with all day...
    Yah! it's like that! If the main target does take damage though, it should be minimal over time. I'd rather give this spell a good 10-15 sec duration and even out the damage so it's not total faceroll. But for the people who do get caught in the lightning the damage should be moderate-to-near faceroll because it looks like it does take some skill to coordinate.
    Last edited by Vesheke; 2010-08-16 at 08:26 AM.

Hah! I'm just glad that I got some people to understand it with the new diagram! The damage doesn't need to be total faceroll, but if it's not faceroll it's not ele, am I right?
    True that.
    Still looking for a reason to come back...