4 set tank question

what are the best 4/5 peices to have as a dk tank
    I have 3 sanct marks and almost 200 frost so just getting set up.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=898

i would definitely take shoulders, helmet and chest. these 3 all have avoidance stats and either DEF or armor. the 4th item depends on if you need more hit or expertise.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to grab the shoulders head gloves and chest and go for the 277 legs off marrow. Dropped the other day when I was hosting my GDKP and went for 5k I couldn't bid because I couldn't get my add on out of the way QQ
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

If you aren't having threat problems (which you shouldn't be), get the crafted legs. They are probably still BiS for effective health, barring straight stam from heroic 277 pieces.

Aim for picking up Cryptmaker if you need a lot of hit.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

If I recall correctly, Crafted legs are BiS until 277 set legs. So the default answer would be 4 set from Head, Shoulders, Chest, and Hands.

Currently I am sitting at 7.5% hit, Expertise Capped, with 4 Set and Crafted Legs. Waiting for the Heroic 10 man Gunboat ring to drop and I am set on Hit/Exp.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Deleted
    Pillars of Might are BiS no matter what Legs you can get, Mitigation on them pwns all.

Ideal Tier 10 Pieces for 4Piece Bonus are Helm, Shoulders, Chest and Gloves.

Might want to re-evaluate your gear. You're at 537 Def. A critted tank makes a healer cry.
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Deleted
    Resilience makes up for the last 3 Defense. And yes confirmed with Combat Logs.

P.S. Your Trinkets suck, you're using Hybrid Expertise Gems while over 20 Expertise and with Icy Slam in the game, and your Boots Enchant totally fails. Deathbringers 10 Heroic Bracers are BiS incase you have them btw. iLevel =/= BiS.
    Last edited by mmoc34c31092a9; 2010-08-18 at 07:12 PM.

resil from shoulder enchant ensures he wont be crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcotraz View Post
    Pillars of Might are BiS no matter what Legs you can get, Mitigation on them pwns all.

Ideal Tier 10 Pieces for 4Piece Bonus are Helm, Shoulders, Chest and Gloves.
    Resilience makes up for the last 3 Defense. And yes confirmed with Combat Logs.

P.S. Your Trinkets suck, you're using Hybrid Expertise Gems while over 20 Expertise and with Icy Slam in the game, and your Boots Enchant totally fails. Deathbringers 10 Heroic Bracers are BiS incase you have them btw. iLevel =/= BiS.
    FYI:
    1) Trinkets are Situational. Last boss killed "Heroic Festergut 25" hmm... and armor fight. I believe we 3 healed the fight. Works for me. With Armor Pot I was 3k from armor cap. KKTHX. OMG I even have DODGE TRINKETS for 5 mans and soloing. OMG I AM BAD.
    2) Expertise gems fill in 9/12 Stam slots. Only 2 expertise over the cap (if I don't switch to Shadow's Edge for quest).
    3) Boot enchants are not EH optimal, but situational perfect certain fights (as apposed to 20 stam).
    4) Deathbringer Bracers and Gunboat ring have not dropped for me.

@U:
    1) nice 2k dps on BQ. Icy Touch Spam Fail Much?
    2) Will grant you the Resilience to make up the crit immunity. (Prfer to be over the cap for item swaps myself. But understand you are 10 man only)
    Last edited by Apostolic; 2010-08-18 at 08:48 PM.
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Deleted
    Ruby Sanctum Trinket is fail in any case. Festergut is a Survivability fight, Stamina > Mitigation on Trinkets.
    For +9 Stamina Sockets Dodge/Stamina Gems are better, plus you shouldn't even be gemming anything in ICC, 30% Stamina Buff = Stamina Crowning. I gem my Legs like that cause I'm too lazy to change them, had them pre-buff.
    No, Boot Enchants are just fail, Crit doesn't help you anywhere, you shouldn't need more Threat, not as a DK.
    Fair enough, RNG is RNG after all.

Who's "U"? Me? 'Cause if you mean me, I just don't try. Screenshot wasn't Progress and she was farm for over 5 weeks already, buff was 10% higher than what we'd used to kill, my DPS makes 0 difference there when Enrage stops mattering, your reasoning fails btw since I was Offtanking with Blood Presence, now lets think... Why would I Icy Touch Spam in Blood Presence while OTing BQL? Oh wait, I wouldn't.
    Last edited by mmoc34c31092a9; 2010-08-18 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apostolic View Post
    FYI:
    1) Trinkets are Situational. Last boss killed "Heroic Festergut 25" hmm... and armor fight. I believe we 3 healed the fight. Works for me. With Armor Pot I was 3k from armor cap. KKTHX.
    2) Expertise gems fill in 9/12 Stam slots. Only 2 expertise over the cap (if I don't switch to Shadow's Edge for quest).
    3) Boot enchants are not EH optimal, but situational perfect certain fights (as apposed to 20 stam).

@U: nice 2k dps on BQ. Icy Touch Spam Fail Much?
    Yeah, my DK tank is an Engineer also and I use the Nitro Boot enchant too. It does come in handy and it's just down right fun. Organ is a good trinket so I don't know what that other guy is talking about, Armor is #2 for us after Stam and we get all kinds of free health with the ICC buff but no free Armor. And for Festergut the RS trinket is actually not that bad. You also may want to try to pick up http://www.wowwiki.com/Ramaladni%27s...ulling_(heroic) it's also from Sarufang 10 Heroic. More Stam do to the extra gem slot and you get the 5 bonus expertise do to the Orc racial which should allow you to drop an expertise gem for another stam one.

Deleted
    Organ is situational, Mitigation is only #2 in ICC, and you never have enough Stamina in ICC for LK HC, not even with the 30% Buff. RS Trinket has a Dodge Proc that makes it secondary to Stamina and other Armor Trinkets, its only use basically is the Armor it provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Apostolic View Post
    FYI:
    1) Trinkets are Situational. Last boss killed "Heroic Festergut 25" hmm... and armor fight. I believe we 3 healed the fight. Works for me. With Armor Pot I was 3k from armor cap. KKTHX. OMG I even have DODGE TRINKETS for 5 mans and soloing. OMG I AM BAD.

@U:
    1) nice 2k dps on BQ. Icy Touch Spam Fail Much?
    2) Will grant you the Resilience to make up the crit immunity. (Prfer to be over the cap for item swaps myself. But understand you are 10 man only)
    Technically the only armor fight is DBS, though I've been know to use an armor trinket on festergut.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Ruby Sanctum Trinket is fail in any case. Festergut is a Survivability fight, Stamina > Mitigation on Trinkets.
    For +9 Stamina Sockets Dodge/Stamina Gems are better, plus you shouldn't even be gemming anything in ICC, 30% Stamina Buff = Stamina Crowning. I gem my Legs like that cause I'm too lazy to change them, had them pre-buff.
    No, Boot Enchants are just fail, Crit doesn't help you anywhere, you shouldn't need more Threat, not as a DK.

Who's "U"? Me? 'Cause if you mean me, I just don't try. Screenshot wasn't Progress and she was farm for over 5 weeks already, buff was 10% higher than what we'd used to kill, my DPS makes 0 difference there when Enrage stops mattering, your reasoning fails btw since I was Offtanking with Blood Presence, now lets think... Why would I Icy Touch Spam in Blood Presence while OTing BQL? Oh wait, I wouldn't.
    His boot Enchant is the Engineering Rocket Boot Enchant, you just don't see the "On Use" part listed on the gear, it just shows the passive Crit part. Also, Armor IS health, well Effective Health at least and is #2 for DK tanks in ICC, NOT Dodge. That's why they boosted the Armor on various pieces of gear including some of our Tier pieces and lowered the Avoidence stats. Your Armor is always there and doesn't rely on RNG like avoidence does. You yourself keep talking about how RNG is bad but then say Armor is too...
    Last edited by Organoth; 2010-08-18 at 09:13 PM.

Why would you not try to put as much DPS out as you can as an off tank. You should try your best no matter what position you are. 1 DC on a DPS and your personal DPS "COULD" make the difference.

As Organoth mentioned. Armor factors into EH. EH Reins king, not Stamina (which some have misconceptions about). EH included Stam, Armor, and Resistance.

Math figures into Stam(30%) + Armor + Resistance = EH for ICC (in simple math). So the theory is, with the 30% Stam buff you can afford to spend more on Armor, IE Trinkets. On some fights (especially melee ones) armor on trinkets is greater than stam on trinkets. UIO is great because it provides both.

But to close the topic, 4 Piece set is Head, Shoulders, Chest and Hands. Crafted Legs ARE BiS even over 277 Set legs.

EDIT: Expertise would be the only other thing you have to worry about, and that would be for Sindragosa 25 HM. She still hit like a truck, especially when parried. And since that the fight we are focusing on, I am trying to stay Expertise capped, Def, Cap while using 2 piece Frost Resist. So such expertise/stam gems are greater the dodge gems. And in that case Agility Gems > Dodge Gems. EH and Avoidance in 1 gem is better then just Avoidance.

EDIT-2: In Alcotraz defense, the RNG he was talking about was the drop rate on said items.
    Last edited by Apostolic; 2010-08-18 at 09:34 PM.
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    His boot Enchant is the Engineering Rocket Boot Enchant, you just don't see the "On Use" part listed on the gear, it just shows the passive Crit part. Also, Armor IS health, well Effective Health at least and is #2 for DK tanks in ICC, NOT Dodge. That's why they boosted the Armor on various pieces of gear including some of our Tier pieces and lowered the Avoidence stats. Your Armor is always there and doesn't rely on RNG like avoidence does. You yourself keep talking about how RNG is bad but then say Armor is too...
    Right Engi Boot Enchant.. Never mind that then. Like Apostolic already said above when I said RNG I meant gear drops, not Avoidance RNG. What I did mean is the Dodge (RNG) part of the RS Trinket makes it inferior to other Stamina/Armor Trinkets a Player could use instead of that one, which is weaker due to only its Armor Portion being of any real use. What I meant is that Armor > RNG, but Stamina > Armor + RNG, and the RS Trinket is exactly that, RNG + Armor which makes it inferior to say Sindragosas Flawless Fang or Jug's Vita which give Stamina. Granted not all fights have Magic and so Jug's Vita carries greater use in those than SFF. Both Trinkets including CSK are however superior to the RS Trinket due to the Stamina they provide. You could have enough outside of Progress but for LK and other hard hitting fights the RNG Proc on RS's Trinket just makes it too inferior. Otherwise yes UIO is a good situational Trinket.

@Apostolic - After farming exactly the same fight with just added damage for the 30th+ time wouldn't you get bored of it too? Only change to BQL Heroic is Damage and Health, no Tactic changes nothing. After a few weeks you barely see the difference between Normal and Heroic. If it was like say PP Heroic I'd have tried harder sure, even Festergut.

That explains your Exp Gems then, but like said above Ramas Heroic + Orc Racial solves that issue for you. If you can get it.....

Yeah, trying to keep my expertise, hit, def cap, while doing a lot of gear swapping, you have to figure out the optimal gemming. For me expertise > dodge any day of the week. In doing so getting a 9/12 stam socket bonus is worth it.

In 25 man, threat can still be an issue, even with IT. Especially when there are no rogues or hunters in the mix. I a good tank knows when to balance EH, Threat, RNG Procs.

As for the RS Trinket. 2200 Armor is quite a bit of EH for heavy melee fights, such as H-DBS or H-Fester. The Proc is neih near worthless. Don't even know why blizzard makes them anymore. Although if you solo, 700 dodge rating and another dodge trinket puts me at close to 70% avoidance. But thats 5 mans, and old content soloing.

I am aiming for the Armor cap for melee fights. I was at 47k with armor pot. 49k is the cap. But like I said, we 3 healed the fight (2 healers died at the start due to a DC)

Don't have SindyFang yet, opted to give that to my OT. And I would use that on magic fights anyways. Like I said with 30% buff, mathematical wise, armor does become more valuable. I would have to break out the formula to show the math.
    Syntyche - Disc Priest