Gemming armor penetration vs strength for dk blood

hey guys!! i need some really good answers about this ongoing question ive been having for the longest time!! i have a blood dk 80 and my overall dps in the first boss of icc is around 9 k and on death bringer i pull around 6.3 k dps overall and i should be doing wayyyy more for the gear that i have so i dont know whats going on. so far ive gemmed pretty much strength on everything and 2 armor pent on my wep
    Last edited by deante; 2010-08-22 at 06:39 AM.

Well you shouldn't be raiding as Blood except as a Tank. Frost and Unholy are the top DPS specs and Blood is only good for tanking these days and will be Tank only come Cata. You can gem for ArP as Frost but as I only Tank with my DK I wouldn't be able to tell how much to gem or at what point to gem it over Stregnth. Try reading stickes here for tips and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    go frost or unholy and gem armp/haste

honor... no matter how dire the situation is, never forsake it!
    top 3 bands of all time:
    1. depeche mode
    2. pet shop boys
    3. new order

lol you have been TROLLED

/sigh

lock this thread and ban that guy.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Apostolic View Post
    lol you have been TROLLED

/sigh

lock this thread and ban that guy.
    What makes u say that? His toon isn't very geared and doesn't have a lot of ICC experience so he seems to just be an honest kid looking for advice.

Yeah, as much as I'd like to say it's a troll because of the guild tag, I'm just as inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. The fact is you'd do much more dps as Unholy with strength gems than you'd do as Blood with ArP gems. At least until you get 4pc and some more ArP gear.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    Yeah, as much as I'd like to say it's a troll because of the guild tag, I'm just as inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. The fact is you'd do much more dps as Unholy with strength gems than you'd do as Blood with ArP gems. At least until you get 4pc and some more ArP gear.
    Yeah, there are 63 different guilds with that exact same name in the US alone and 12 different Arena Teams. I actually looked at his armory and saw that he is indeed just some casual player with very few kills in ICC. Not some hard-core kid with "Light of the Dawn" and a bunch of old gear equiped with a bad spec.

Deleted
    i dont know much bout dks but my mate plays DK blood dps and he hits about 11k dps on saurfang. all i know is you need to have a certain amount of arp on gear before gemming it.

this is my mates armoury http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...j&cn=Alpharius

Before bashing, why not send him to the stickies first. READ UP ON THE CLASS before asking questions. some of the stickies are a little dated, but for the most part, they are a good start. after those, there is just trial and error in fine tuning after knowing your class inside and out. I understand you are casual and all, but this late in the expansion, not knowing proper gems for each spec, or not knowing proper specs for your class/role is just meh. I understand the trolling claims....but in the end, the stickies will be your best bet. my opinion off the start though...

Cataclysm is a few months away...DO NOT WASTE TIME ON ARP GEMS AS BLOOD. ArP gems, as well as blood DPS specs, are going away then, and there is no sense in spending ungoldly amounts of gold as your gear upgrades to keep whatever cap you are able to reach in your gear. besides, it takes crazy gear to pull the proper numbers...go unholy or frost and start smart and easy. get to know your class in a raid role first...then fine tune and min/max your gems.
    Last edited by Azreial; 2010-08-20 at 03:30 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
    DO NOT WASTE TIME ON ARP GEMS AS BLOOD. ArP gems, as well as blood DPS specs, are going away then
    The new "fractured" gems will have mastery on them so screw this im stacking arp for now And furthermore arp is still useful for frost dps I believe so it wont be a waste if he decides to gem it, considering he can just respec later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    Cause here on the forums If a troll trolls a troll the troll trolling the troll still gets banned for trolling.

I thought arp would be swapped for haste
    Can we get a confirmation/ rebuttal of this please?
    Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly

http://maggeddon.blogspot.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/JSMcGough

Quote Originally Posted by Maggeddon View Post
    I thought arp would be swapped for haste
    Can we get a confirmation/ rebuttal of this please?
    # Fractured Cogwheel - +132 Mastery Rating
    ^ the first example that came to my mind; its on P2 of mmo-champ… notice the 'fractured' part in it… + Im sure if you go further into pages 3/4/etc youll come accross the JC gems as well where fractured would give mastery. And think logically - why make 2 types of haste gems?
    Cause here on the forums If a troll trolls a troll the troll trolling the troll still gets banned for trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by (Insert Name Here) View Post
    The new "fractured" gems will have mastery on them so screw this im stacking arp for now And furthermore arp is still useful for frost dps I believe so it wont be a waste if he decides to gem it, considering he can just respec later.
    The new Fractured will give haste or crit.

@ OP: ArP is only viable for Frost or Blood DKs at extremely high gear levels. You should need to hit 100% as frost or 90% as blood (+Blood Gorged) for it to be better than strength.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    The new Fractured will give haste or crit.
    http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/52269/f...-chimeras-eye/ ffs why don't people just do a little bit of research before assumming that what blizz said about arp being converted into a useful stat=crit/haste… seriously what do you want them to do - just 'swap' all gems in your gear for smooth/quick king's ambers? And if the actual 'fractured' gem will get a different stat then wtf haste/crit? What sense is there in making 2x haste or 2x crit type gems complemented by another additional gem type with mastery rating?

Quote Originally Posted by (Insert Name Here) View Post
    http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/52269/f...-chimeras-eye/ ffs why don't people just do a little bit of research before assumming that what blizz said about arp being converted into a useful stat=crit/haste… seriously what do you want them to do - just 'swap' all gems in your gear for smooth/quick king's ambers? And if the actual 'fractured' gem will get a different stat then wtf haste/crit? What sense is there in making 2x haste or 2x crit type gems complemented by another additional gem type with mastery rating?
    ArP gems go to haste or crit on the beta! And since it exists earlier ArP gems than Cardinal Rubies, and blizz stated Mastery will be available only from the new zones and upwards that speaks for itself...

Considering Cata is at least 4-5 months away, it's not stupid to gem arpen or dps as Blood, especially if you need the raid buff.

Even when 4.0 hits, it's probably a month till Cata comes out afterwords, and at that point it really won't matter when your spec/gems are. Once we can train the new green gems, they will be FAR superior to anything from WotLK.

If you aren't hitting enrage timers, play what you want. The OP isn't in a guild that needs the extra 1-2k dps, and if he is then there are probably things all his guild mates could be doing to increase Rdps more than him switching.
    OP- http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rock&cn=Daante

Otherwise, read
    The Basic Guide to 'When Should I gem for Armor Penetration?'

Due to how Armor Penetration works, an exponential increase scaling with itself and your base damage, ArP is a stat that will eventually out-perform Strength until you cap it.

The three main factors determining how good ArP is for Blood DPS:

* Current Weapon
    * Current Strength
    * Current Armor Penetration

Once you hit a certain level of Str and ArP (With the right weapon), then you'll be at the point where you can ditch those Strength gems for ArP gems.
    Here's a rough estimate for users of either Cryptmaker or Shadow's Edge.

* Weapon: 3.50+ speed, ilvl 264 or greater
    * Strength: 2,200
    * Armor Pen: 400
    * 4pT10 set bonus

Once you're at these numbers, you can safely gem for ArP and see a small increase in DPS. While it starts small, the gain grows more and more with the more upgrades you attain. Your ArP does not have to be capped for it to be a DPS gain.
    Users without 4pT10 or a high end weapon will find the Str/ArP required to be much higher and it's not recommended to try ArP gems until you meet the requirements listed above.
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...60837025&sid=1
    Post number 15

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerian View Post
    ArP on gear is being changed to crit or haste, ArP gems are not.
    ArP gems have been removed from the game in Beta. Any character with ArP gems will find they have turned into either Crit or Haste gems. Fractured gems will be Mastery gems but only available from new content. You current Fractured gems will become either Crit or Haste gems. This has been known for a very long time. It's still a problem though as all the classes who do stack ArP would want either Agi or Stregnth instead so that's what they need to change into when Cata launches and hopefully they will make that change.