Thread: WotlK Lore

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

WotlK Lore

Ok, So I have but 1 simple question that I am sure one of you Lore Gurus might be able to clear up for me.

I would look for myself but the sad thing is that there is no specific and collective source for all Warcraft Lore information. It's scattered all over the intertubes.

My question is:

If our task was to kill Arthas/Lich King - Why is it that at the end of killing him, King Terenas comes over and announces that "There must ALWAYS be a Lich King...".

Like wtf :S What was the point of wasting my time killing this douchebaggery of a boss if there's only gonna be another anyways?

Kinda redundant if I must say.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Rather not.

Quote Originally Posted by Verstummelun View Post
    Rather not.
    Then read the god damn quests and books yourself.

They couldn't think up a good end for The Lich King, and they also wanted to keep the story thread somewhat open in case they ran out of other ideas.
    Elementium on Knaak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.
    ~The naaru have not forgotten us... BUT CHRIST METZEN HAS!~

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you done HoR or any of the quests? or are you just a Questhelper tard?

It's a very prevalent issue in all the IC dungeons/raids. Basically, without a leader, the Scourge will run rampant. Nothing will be there to control them anymore. Someone has to be there to keep them in check. The common theory (or truth, haven't read books) is that there was a shred of the old Arthas still somewhere in the Lich King, fighting against the evil part to not completely turn the Scourge loose on the world.

Quote Originally Posted by eucatastrophe View Post
    They couldn't think up a good end for The Lich King, and they also wanted to keep the story thread somewhat open in case they ran out of other ideas.
    Basically this. It seemed like a last second thing to toss into the expansion to give Bolvar something to do. But they made it pretty clear once it was ingame.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

Arthas probably lured us to icecrown to kill yogg-saron. He was containing and keeping the scourge back but when saron broke loose on Ulduar he understood that his minions alone couldn't stop that greater evil from expanding.
    So he assaulted all major cities not to destroy them but to lure the Alliance's and Horde's attention north.
    The Lich King saw this as an opportunity to create some great champions to conquer the world. But the light had other plans.
    So after releasing Arthas from his torture someone had to take his place as jailor of the scourge. Bolvar had the ace in that queue.

I think it's all a lie personally. I think Ner'zhul got tired of Arthas being such a whiny bitch and formed a plan to get him replaced. So he conjured up this fake (or just controlled) Uther to say that there always needed to be one, and they took him at his word, so instead of just killing him and burying the crown or something, Bolvar put it on, and the rest, as they say, is... the future!

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Then read the god damn quests and books yourself.
    Look - I asked for an answer to my question. If I wanted to know where to find a lore wiki I would have just Googled it. Being a smartass only wastes your own time. So stop being rude and troll elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamslam View Post
    Have you done HoR or any of the quests? or are you just a Questhelper tard?
    I have done HoR and no I'm not a Questhelper tard. Sometimes I just tune out of reading/listening to what the quest or the npcs say because I never really had any interest to know...until now. So rather than waiting to do HoR (which I don't really want to do) I figured I'd ask someone who knew Last time I checked there was no harm in asking a question.

Thank you for answering the question though - however the storyline for Athas and the Lich King as a whole just is lame to me. If Blizzard knew that there would always have to be a LK to keep the scourage at bay than why have us kill him at all. Still sounds redundant.

I don't see the usefulness of killing someone who has to stick around anyways.

Ok here goes:

Arthas was a friend of many that was turned into the monster known as the lich king right under their noses.
    For more lore info read the book/play WC3.

Hated by most of his friends now, a lot of them still dread the path he has chosen, (Jaina in particular)
    Jaina and Arthas had something going on (pissing of kael doing so) and in her hart jaina always wanted to redeem arthas.
    Arthas got away to northrend and we kinda left him alone. He provoked us and we saw him as a threath we needed to deal with.

On a horde side:
    Sylvanas prime goal has always been to kill the lich king as he ruined her life and the life of her loved ones.
    Lich king also provoked the horde so they went out to elmiminate the threath.

Uppon arriving the lich king (always seeking to create a powerfull army, possibly to defend himself agains the burning legion) encounters a band of heroes, he recognises your potential and uses his minions to test those heroes. This still to eventually defeat you and turn you to the dark side.

His plan eventually backfires and he gets killed by us + the light. We broke a legendary and corrupted weapon.. the weapon that corrupted and enhanced Arthas his power.

Bolvar steps in and takes the throne in a snap descission, as nobody knew there always HAD to be a lich king..

But this time its a lich king without a Frostmourne which was a great, great weapon not to be underestimated.
    Main source of power came from that weapon and it is no more.
    So offcourse there now is a new lich king.. but he doesnt have a soul collecting device anymore.

Edit:
    TLDR: Jaina failed , Sylvanas suceeded, we destroyed LK's soul collector and the immediate threath.
    Last edited by kwekee; 2010-08-19 at 08:49 AM.

What the OP is saying is this.....

"I know the answer to my question is out there somewhere. However, rather than finding that answer myself I would rather post on here and be told the answer."

Seriously, even my 10 year old puts more effort into finding out what he wants to know.....

By the way, I do not normaly post like this but the fact people are pointing you to direct sources of lore or advising you to read the books and you are throwing it back at them like an insolent child really annoys me! Someone even gave you the direct link ffs!

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    What the OP is saying is this.....

"I know the answer to my question is out there somewhere. However, rather than finding that answer myself I would rather post on here and be told the answer."

Seriously, even my 10 year old puts more effort into finding out what he wants to know.....

By the way, I do not normaly post like this but the fact people are pointing you to direct sources of lore or advising you to read the books and you are throwing it back at them like an insolent child really annoys me! Someone even gave you the direct link ffs!
    To a point you're right Missy. I did wan't to be told the answer. I figured it might be nice to ask someone knowledgeable rather than sifting through lore. Sure, they linked me but at the time i didn't have time to read a whole page or 2. I only had time to post the question and come back later to find the answer. If my question annoyed you - walk away. No need to be a total ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heldamon View Post
    Arthas probably lured us to icecrown to kill yogg-saron. He was containing and keeping the scourge back but when saron broke loose on Ulduar he understood that his minions alone couldn't stop that greater evil from expanding.
    So he assaulted all major cities not to destroy them but to lure the Alliance's and Horde's attention north.
    The Lich King saw this as an opportunity to create some great champions to conquer the world. But the light had other plans.
    So after releasing Arthas from his torture someone had to take his place as jailor of the scourge. Bolvar had the ace in that queue.
    I like this explanation, it would explain a lot...

.... you literally do not even have to read anything at all to know this .. walk to the center of dal .. click the statue .. watch and listen .. it tells you why Bolvar is the Lich King .. without someone controlling the scourge they will just run around and mess up the joint .. also .. saves them from having to delete every undead in every zone for people who kill the lich king .. for it to make sense

10+ Year Old Account
    main reason

the entire scourge would break up into mini forsaken like factions and cause massive destruction for a small period of time

any army would pretty much be the same with no leader.

the lk kept the scourge in line and used a more powerful long term strat
    with out the lk its just mindless chaos and death until the scourge is killed