Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    There will be several events (think holidays mixed with battle for the Undercity) explaining how things come to be as they are in the beta in the pre and post 4.0 era, I'm guessing the invasion of Thunderbluff, rise of the Sunwalkers/Night elf magi, retaking of the troll and Gnome starter areas and the new warchief arcs will be part of these.

Ill try and dig at the Blue post that mentioned this, add to that the fact none of these things have events in cata and its a no brainer.

Here is a very explanation of NE mages.
    Queen Azshara decided that only the NE who could use magic were worth a damn and the other are second class citizens.
    She and her "highborne" side with the Burning Legion against the other NE.
    After the Legion is defeated the Highborne are giving a chance but they try to create another Sunwell and are caught.
    Instead of death they are exiled across the see but some move to Dire Maul.
    Thus you have the 3 "clans" of Night elves: Kaldorei, Highborne/ Blood Elves, and the Naga- the Highborne that stayed with Azshara even as the portal was collapsing.
    Night Elves are actually very sensitive to Arcane energies and their bodies are changed if they accept the magic into their beings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I looked at the quest involved with WHY nightelf mages are coming back... But i really really really hate it, and i really really really don't think that the nightelves would let the Shen'dralar "shape" the young nightelves as mages...