Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you get PuG raidleaders to mark the tanks?

I'm looking for some hints on how to get some of the less intelligent raid leaders out there to mark the tanks in the raid interface. In 25% of the pugs I run with the RL does it on his own accord, in about 25% you can get them to mark up after some nagging, and in 50% of the pugs I run with the RL puts a star and a nipple on the tanks and calls it a day, and no matter how I try to explain they wont assign the tanks in the raid interface or promote me for even 10 seconds to do it myself.

Sure, it's definitely not a requirement to have the tanks marked up, but it makes my life easier as a healer in the 25 mans especially. How do you get pug raidleaders to understand without tossing stupid raid marks on the tanks? This part boggles me to no end btw, why the hell would you want a raidmark on the tank anyway? Only fight I find that useful is the blob kiter tank in the plagueworks.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Find a guild
    raid with them, don't PuG
    profit
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

i'll ask once, if they say no or just do the raid icons i'll either remember the 3 tanks or take off my glasses and just click the pretty shapes lol

idk why but the tank frame seems really pointless in wrath...not sure how its any different than in BC but yeah...

I dont know why people want tanks maked. Most pugs/guilds put the tanks in one group. So once you figure out who the main tank is, you should be able to see who the other tanks are. Usually they will be grouped with a shadow priest and a shaman or something for maximum health regeneration. Of course this is all assuming at the beginning of the run the raid leader says "tanks are this this and this"

you don't mark tanks they are in group 1 and as a paladin tank you just heal both tanks so np

Get an addon that doesn't have you rely on the non-laziness of others.

I just ask who the tanks are and then mark them as tanks in my VuhDo. They get moved to a separate panel where their health bar is bigger and I can also see their target.

Works like a charm.

Make the raid yourself then.

As a tank I like having tanks symbol marked so I can see where the other tank is just for things like Marrowgar etc, but as for marking them MT in the raid I can see how it is helpful for healers. I always assign this on my PUG raids.

get a regular run where you get assist or join a guild.

"Can you mark the tanks, please?"

Generally does the trick, to be honest. Not sure what sort of daft raid leaders you run with.

Deleted
    Here is a hint, try looking at HP, the 2(3) players that have the most are tanks. Bust shh, don't tell others, let it be our secret!

I don't know about people who don't use grid but you should learn to look at every single unit frame and react ofc the tank takes prio but its still good practice not to tunnel vision just tanks. (unsure if this has any reference to this post but there you go)

10+ Year Old Account
    Or... get grid and make mouseover macroes!

I tell them if the tanks don't get marked in raid frames then the raid leader gets no heals. Once they die a time or two they get the idea.
    BTW- some addons like healbot move the tanks to a spot right under you if they are marked. You can easily find them as well as yourself instead of watching them jump around between fights.

Everytime i see tanks get marked, they marks always end up getting removed automatically, at least the ones like nipple/triangle etc.

Fights like Marrowgar, Rotface and Festergut come to mind, where the marks just get removed to mark other people with debuffs.

One option they could do in the future is maybe make a new icon, like in the form of a shield - So you can easily distinguish the tanks from other shapes, and they won't end up being removed randomly.

Why dont you mark the fucking tank if you care :\ Anyone can mark now I think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Why dont you mark the fucking tank if you care :\ Anyone can mark now I think?
    That is only in 5 mans, in raids you have to be the raid leader or have assist.

Ok, some people don't understand what he is talking about, likely confused. He doesn't mean to put a skull or an x on the tank. The OP means going into the raid interface and promoting the tanks to tank just like you would give someone assist.
    Last edited by Epiclurker; 2010-08-20 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyaral View Post
    I don't know about people who don't use grid but you should learn to look at every single unit frame and react ofc the tank takes prio but its still good practice not to tunnel vision just tanks. (unsure if this has any reference to this post but there you go)
    I guess you have never been a dedicated tank healer...

Just use healbot.

Quote Originally Posted by Epiclurker View Post
    Ok, some people don't understand what he is talking about, likely confused. He doesn't mean to put a skull or an x on the tank. The OP means going into the raid interface and promoting the tanks to tank just like you would give someone assist.
    It is this I mean.

All you helpful people who suggest that I stop pug and join a guild and whatnot, can you please go and destroy the quality of some other forum please, you are absolutely not helping anyone with comments like that. I'm in a 10man guild, but we only run scheduled raids in ICC10. I have to pug ICC25, ICC10 on my alt, ToC and VoA runs which means that I run into this regularly. I really like having the tanks marked in the raid UI when I heal, I can ofc remember which one is which but it's a quality of life thing. I tried to get some tips on how to formulate my request that the tanks get assigned in the raid UI, since a lot of raidleaders thinks it means putting raidmarks on them. Thanks for the addon tips, I will look into those.

Deleted
    Uhm. If you say 'mark the tank' it's kinda obvious you mean a raid icon.

Tell the raid leader to set the maintanks in the raid interface. Is it that hard?