Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Calon View Post
    Purify: This is your first debuff-removing spell, you get it long before cleanse.
    Turn Evil: 99.5% useless, but, ti's fear. But, they run around all "ahhh ahhhhhhhh", so, it's fun.
    Hand of Protection: You can cast this on other people if they're taking physical damage. Also good for annoying a hunter when they pop CD's.
    Hand of Sacrifice: You can cast this on other people if they're taking damage. Good for helping transfer damage off a tank during a boss XYZ Facesmush ability.
    Hand of Salvation: Reduces someone else's threat. Good for when someone (somehow) manages to climb the threat meter like a dog in heat. *cough* Feral Kittys.
    Righteous Defense: It taunts three mobs, it's a secondary/backup/situational taunt. Also, Avenger's Shield is a poor means of generating threat outside the initial pull.
    Seal of Justice: All around crap, with extra crap, on a crap burger.
    Divine Protection: Paladin version of Shield Wall, reduces all incoming damage without making you immune to damage (aka the mob doesn't run off and hit that damned hunter who won't FD)

All in all, you may want to brush up on your Rogue.
    Fixed ^^

Dont using Divine Protection as tank makes u really, really and i mean really bad. Healers hate you!

Also, the AoE taunt is usefull for pulling of multiple mobs from someone else/other tank.

Bloodsail Admiral DownButStillOut's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    When that pesky warlock pops his demon form in PvP, I make them pay for every f*cking Fear I have endured from them.
    Qft
    BeeeeeeeoooooOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOO-FFFSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
    My attempt at being less of a pessimist was choosing Dawnbringer as my choice of server.
    I regret somethings! (like setting this in my signature)

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    So I was going through my spellbook the other day I realize that there is a lot of spells that I just never seem to use. So I was wondering if it was just me or are a lot of these spells really just not all that useful or not meant to be used with my spec? I raid primary Ret with a tank OS, Strictly 10 mans and heroics. Am I missing out on a lot of my utility or are these spell really just bloat?
    - 1 for using "bloat" although you obviously habe no idea of the spells you're talking about.
    - 1 for generalizing the usefulness of spells you have no idea of.
    + 1 (hopefully) for actually wondering.

Now let's move on because I'm just in the mood for a post like yours...

Purify
    Why do we have this if we have cleanse?
    Because we didn't learn Cleanse right away. There was a time before the endgame when young Paladins only purified. I can't help myself: Did you level your char on your own?

Turn Evil
    it seems like a very specific cc spell but why would I use this if I have repentance/hammer of justice?
    It seems like a very specific CC spell because it is a very specific CC sell. Sometimes, it's just useful to fear an undead/demon instead of just hammering it. On the plus side, there's a Glyph that makes this spell instant and thus a very powerful tool in PvP. Granted, there's not much use for it in the content you said you were doing.

Hand of Protection
    what situation would I use this in over my Divine shield or is this more for pvp use?
    You would only use this over Divine Shield if you a) had Divine Shield on cooldown, were b) pulling aggro off of a tank and the mob was melee only ad c) either didn't mind the Forbearance caused or had no other choice. On the other hand, you might support your healers significantly if you removed physical debuffs with this (on others rather than yourself), e.g. on Saurfang HC if a clothie had mark and that other blood-debuff-thingy (can't remember the name just now) at the same time or to speed up Blood-Wing trash.

Hand of Sacrifice
    I'm assuming this is a PVP thing I've never really been in a situation to use this. Also why would I ever use this if I have a fully talented Divine Guardian?
    To make it plain and simple: because it is on a different cooldown than Divine Guardian.

Hand of Salvation
    I think this was once blessing of salvation which we would always have to buff back in BC days but I usually have so much threat on a target that I never really have had to cast this plus with Tricks/misdirect do you guys ever find yourself needing to using this?
    To make it even simpler: You know that you can use this on others? It can be painfully necessary on Lady Deathwhisper if you're raiding with a 11-13k DPS Feral Druid...

Righteous Defense
    I believe this is our intervene equivalent but again with Consecration and my righteous fury mobs never really seem to leave me and be on anybody else and if they did why wouldn't I just use my taunt or avengers shield?
    This just hurts. Not only can Taunts miss, sometimes it might be necessary to taunt more than one mob at the same time. Plus... Avengers Shield? In most situations where RD is used, AS will be of no use at all. What was your offspec again, you said?

Seal of Justice
    another PVP thing but from what I'm told I should be using my seal of Righteousness/command. Is this even used for PVP?
    Right, basically PvP only. But... Righteousness as well! In PvE, you use either Vengeance/Corruption or Command.

Divine Protection
    another spell that seems to do the same thing as Divine shield/hand of protection but seems useless compared to both of them?
    Ever heard of Shield Wall?

tl;dr: Go level another Paladin - and this time read the tooltips.
    Last edited by EzriEU; 2010-08-25 at 12:11 PM.

Purify- It's a PvP spell. Don't listen to people who tell you this spell is useless at 80, they have no idea of what they are talking about, or don't understand the intricacies of the game. Purify is useful for removing diseases on a target that has Unstable affliction up, since it won't dispel magic effects, it won't trigger the silence/damage component of UA.

Turn Evil- Warlock pets and DK pets/gargoyle. You could also use it on a metad demo lock, if you actually run into one lol. As an example if you Turn evil a warlock's fel hunter and then HoJ him, he can't use the pet to devour your HoJ, thus forcing a trinket, etc.

Hand of Protection- Uh, physical Divine shield for a partner maybe?

Hand of Sacrifice- You can use it as an extra tank cooldown in PvE. In you can use it to stay out of CC or as a cooldown on someone taking a lot of damage.

Hand of Salvation- As you said it reduces threat, which can be useful on certain fights. In PvP the glyph also reduces damage you take by 20%, which is useful.

Righteous Defense-lol what?

Seal of Justice- pretty situational. Holy paladins can use it in PvP to try to get a RNG stun off on an opposing teams healer to help score a kill.

i can relate to that, i like burgers, but not with crap on it.

Quote Originally Posted by boragglan View Post

i can relate to that, i like burgers, but not with crap on it.
    I use seal of justice sometimes in arena. Some random stuns on your enemy healer is godd when hammer is on CD, even if they are very short it will still interrupt their heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessa View Post
    Purify is not useless... It's great when you want to remove those rogue poisons without getting sileced by that damn Affliction locks Unstable Affliction.
    This is why I love reading 'dumb' threads. Every now and then some uncommon sense in the responses. I'd mentally dismissed purify as just a bad cleanse, it never occurred to me that the limitation was actually useful.

You sir, win many interwebs.

Deleted
    We had cleared naxx before our paladin tank noticed that divine protection was changed into something other than "that thing you get that is replaced by divine shield around level 30"

Anyway, Hand of Salvation is also a decent pvp and tanking tool when glyphed as well. It reduces the damage you take by 20% when used on yourself. Still reduces threat though, but often that doesn't matter.

oh this is still open?

OP mentioned if they see a mob run off, they will cast Hand of Reckoning on it. What if more than one runs off?! RD is primarily designed to be used on a friendly target. So you pick the boomy,lock,mage whoever has aggro on some stuff, click their little grid button and hit shift-R, or click out of you spellbook, since that is where your RD button is...