Grid - range between players

Hello there.
    I've been searching just about all of Google and in this forum along with other forums in order to know if it's theoretically possible to make Grid able to trace the range between players.
    What I'm thinking is like these corner indicators, so when they're within 12 yards range it should be there, and if they're not it shouldn't.

The reason why I'm asking is because as a Resto Shaman using a CH without any jumps is worse than using LHW, and it is just about impossible to keep an eye on every raider in a 25 man raid.

So does anyone know if this is possible?
    Thanks.

Deleted
    AddOns can only test range between you and a player, not between two other players.
    Even though it should be able to calculate that somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    AddOns can only test range between you and a player
    So if everyone had this little addon, which remains unknown for now, would it be possible to trace? I'm thinking a bit like if every healer is using Grid you'll be able to track all the incoming heals, but if they use something else you won't see them.

*EDIT* Nevermind :P

An addon can get the position of raid/party members quite easily, and from their it's simple math to figure out the distance between them. (Though it'll get quite CPU intensive to have 25 people's ranges updating even every second (as you have to take P1, and compare them to everyone else, and then take p2, and compare to everyone but p1 and so on. Basically you'll have to calc the factorial of the number of raid members every time you want to update it.
    Last edited by Brusalk; 2010-08-26 at 05:54 PM.

Also would it actually gain you any benefit seeing if other members are within range when realistically you cannot do anything about it when they are not.
    You using that addon will not influence the behaviour of other members to make your job easier.
    If you are timing your casts to hit as many targets as possible, then I feel there are other issues, which no personal addon is going to solve.

as far as i know u can color our grid Range setting to a player per yards,

just make, something like:

10y - redish
    20y - blueish
    30y - yelowish
    40y - grey

Then u will know exactly who is withing a certain range, and if your guild is organized then most likelly they close to each other, or do like most Resto shaman and heal the melee camp, then u most likelly wont miss a jump, altough overhealing just to top meters is bad

i use this grid setup - wowinterface.com/downloads/info15108-UltimateShamanGridLayout.html
    Last edited by Lusitan; 2010-08-27 at 09:23 AM. Reason: adding my grid link

You have time for that in 25player environment? I found myself spamming CH all the time :P
    To sum up:
    Not possible with one person using addon, everyone should have it. But on the other hand you can try other addon to track ranges, for example HudMap and try to write your own plugin, there is example how to do it in addon folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich King
    "You speak of justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of fear."

You could make a addon that everyone used, that would check the distances and broadcast it in the addon channel. This way other addons could pick up on those ranges and update each and one of their internal databases with the latest range numbers.

Performance may be a question, is it worth lagging down people in order to know their ranges between each other when you can't really do much about it in the first place? Hmm...

Deleted
    Pretty sure that would either lead to slow updates (making it redundant) or so much addon message spam that even GearScore pales in comparision.

It would be quite simple addon and very plausable. Since you can see from lua your relative distance to each raid member you can calculate distance of each two raid members.

The distance from you to any given raid member is not sufficient to know the distance between any other two members.
    Whether you can determine the position of each player I am not sure, though looking at the likes of hudmap etc then it must be possible.

I still think it would be somewhat of a resource hog, with range indication based on spells being throttled for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhu View Post
    It would be quite simple addon and very plausable. Since you can see from lua your relative distance to each raid member you can calculate distance of each two raid members.
    Seeing their distance from you does not mean you know their distance from eachother. Imagine 2 people 12 feet from you. One to your left, one to the right. What's the distance between them? 24 feet. Imagine them both 12 feet in front of you. What's the distance between them? 0 feet. You need either an angle or the third side of the triangle to know their distance.

Deleted
    Minimap coords _might_ (and should) suffice.

I'm not sure how you could get Grid to accurately display them in a way that you could understand though. At the moment, players are full opacity when in range and slightly faded when not. How would you be able to display each character as well is which of the other characters they are also in range of, for every single character?
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

25^2=625, not that much CPU power for 625 calculations (even thought they r not just adds/subtracts), the real problem is getting (transfering throught your internet connection) all the positions of all raid members to your PC every second to do the calculations..
    This is computation wise..

I find the purpose of those computation a bit lame, u just have to go and position yourself when u can see more members, and an addon like that would not help u that much..
    The Addon that u would like most, is something that it would do all those computation and after some hard maths that i really cant bother to think atm would point u where u should go and target and cast.. to have the most sufficient results.. Kind of loosing the fun..
    Got a Warlock as a main, a Druid and a DK at 80 as alts and lvling a Rogue..

"You are only as good player, as the guild you are into"

If you are watching your raid frame trying to position yourself for optimal effect, then it means you arent paying attention to your surroundings or something else.
    Accept that chain heal is not always as efficient as you would like it.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    Looks great, gonna try this out.