Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Patch 3.9 and preparing for Cataclysm's release

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Issalla View Post
    Important thing I learned from that: Cataclysm will happen in 3.9, and the expansion will give you 80-85 and worgen/goblin... Interesting.

Deleted
    Hmm, yea well.. expected though.

New quests and locations in 3.9 or in 4.0? Still can't find out from that article. Because i want to start brand new character and experience full storyline

"It will probably be a long time after Cataclysm that Blizzard revisits the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor again. Chilton could see them giving Outland and Northrend the same treatment as they fall behind in quality and lore."

^ An accurate representation of my joy.
    I once shot a man in Goldshire, just to watch him die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    Important thing I learned from that: Cataclysm will happen in 3.9, and the expansion will give you 80-85 and worgen/goblin... Interesting.
    Thats exactly what every expansion happens. Only ignorant people said that the changes to the old zones won't be open until launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperweight View Post
    "It will probably be a long time after Cataclysm that Blizzard revisits the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor again. Chilton could see them giving Outland and Northrend the same treatment as they fall behind in quality and lore."

^ An accurate representation of my joy.
    I just want to reply to this pic of yours.... it's somehow, disturbing, but still, The joy.... It's inevitable.......

Anyways, this was a bit expected, nice to get a confirmation though!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    Thats exactly what every expansion happens. Only ignorant people said that the changes to the old zones won't be open until launch.
    is not that we have so many expansion to get the rule about how pre-expansion patch has to work, only twice, and in any of them they changed the whole world in such way, so those ignorants as you call them had their reasons to think about changes becoming aviable at launch. For new talents and shit like that? sure, before release, they need to test them in live also! but for the world changes? no one could tell really and any option was as good as the other was.

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    is not that we have so many expansion to get the rule about how pre-expansion patch has to work, only twice, and in any of them they changed the whole world in such way, so those ignorants as you call them had their reasons to think about changes becoming aviable at launch. For new talents and shit like that? sure, before release, they need to test them in live also! but for the world changes? no one could tell really and any option was as good as the other was.
    Actually, it does make sense for the whole world to change in a pre-expansion pack. With the entire world changing, anyone who wouldn't upgrade to Cataclysm would never be able to zone into Kalimdor or the EK again. Therefore, even re-releases of the vanilla game DVDs would probably contain the new world data of Cataclysm Azeroth... or they'd just have to download the giant patch, either way, it's a rebuild of the vanilla game for the largest part.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasok1986 View Post
    New quests and locations in 3.9 or in 4.0? Still can't find out from that article. Because i want to start brand new character and experience full storyline
    New quests and locations in 4.0, which happens just as 3.9 culminates.
    The changes are way to big to just have it as flipping a switch.

The cataclysm effectively happens during the 4.0 downtime. Afterwards, the first time you log in, you get to see the Cataclysm cutscene.

A few weeks later, Cataclysm gets released.

So it's 3.9(Gnomeregan/Troll isles, Twilight Hammer events, talents and masteries) <-- some time --> 4.0 (DW rapes world, new 1-60) <-- some more time --> Cataclysm (new races, 80+ zones)

Deleted
    interview - blablablabal.
    [DRAMATIC EPIC MUSIC]

err will all the class talents and changes be implemented as well? I'm guessing alot of ppl will complain that their class is broken while locked at 80 when the talents are made for a lvl 85 cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhazgul View Post
    interview - blablablabal.
    [DRAMATIC EPIC MUSIC]

err will all the class talents and changes be implemented as well? I'm guessing alot of ppl will complain that their class is broken while locked at 80 when the talents are made for a lvl 85 cap.
    Talents are made for 1-85...sure you cant take them all, but they have to be balanced with either level you are.

15+ Year Old Account
    Isn't this "transcript" pretty inaccurate when compared to the actual interview?

As far as I know, they never said anything about the new zones being implemented in 3.9, or even used the term "3.9". In fact, 3.9 is just the temporary name for their pre-Cataclysm world event patch, which they said probably would not actually be called 3.9.

I believe they have also stated specifically that the new class/race combinations would require you to have the expansion installed.

Most importantly, "The servers will come down when the event culminates, and when they come back up you'll see the intro cinematic and all of the updated Azeroth will be available."

That doesn't make any sense, unless it's taken completely out of context. You will take part in the World Event, yes, but then when the "servers go down" is when they go into maintenance and actually release the expansion. You'll see the new intro cinematic when you install the expansion, not before, and it won't be integrated in such a way that "just the servers go down and you log back in and there it is".

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    New quests and locations in 4.0, which happens just as 3.9 culminates.
    The changes are way to big to just have it as flipping a switch.

The cataclysm effectively happens during the 4.0 downtime. Afterwards, the first time you log in, you get to see the Cataclysm cutscene.

A few weeks later, Cataclysm gets released.

So it's 3.9(Gnomeregan/Troll isles, Twilight Hammer events, talents and masteries) <-- some time --> 4.0 (DW rapes world, new 1-60) <-- some more time --> Cataclysm (new races, 80+ zones)
    New 1-60 content and new race/class combos are in 3.9. If you bothered to read it... they stated that in 3.9 is the catalcysm and when you log in you see the intro and everything. 4.0 is the cataclysm release with the new races and new zones.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    New 1-60 content and new race/class combos are in 3.9. If you bothered to read it... they stated that in 3.9 is the catalcysm and when you log in you see the intro and everything. 4.0 is the cataclysm release with the new races and new zones.
    ^ this. If anyone actually bothered to read the article or listen to the entire Q&A session, you would've known this.

Chilton explicitly states that the Cataclysm is the culmination of the pre-Cataclysm event which occurs several weeks before Cataclysm is released. He says that players will be able to play the new content (1-60), try out the new race/class combos, etc. He even gives reasons why they are doing it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalehan View Post
    Actually, it does make sense for the whole world to change in a pre-expansion pack. With the entire world changing, anyone who wouldn't upgrade to Cataclysm would never be able to zone into Kalimdor or the EK again. Therefore, even re-releases of the vanilla game DVDs would probably contain the new world data of Cataclysm Azeroth... or they'd just have to download the giant patch, either way, it's a rebuild of the vanilla game for the largest part.
    To be fair Blizzard did say (at Blizzcon when they announced Cataclysm) that the old world revamp would be available to every player regardless of if they have the expansion or not. After hearing this one can only assume that the pre-patch for the launch will contain these changes.

"The new race / class combos and 1-60 content will be available before World of Warcraft: cataclysm launches."

I can change races on my mage before cata? YEY!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Issalla View Post
    I'm quoting this from my other thread, which actually contains the interview, btw:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...lysm-Interview

"Yeah, except the World of Raids article is a DIRECT copypasta from MMO-Owned, who obviously didn't listen to the transcript AT ALL.

Tom Chillton never uses the words Patch 3.9 AT ALL. He doesn't even say future content patch, he says the opposite.

"Something that we've been trying to communicate is the way that transition will work is that we have world events that lead up to the Cataclysm that kind of play out with the current content patch. As the world events lead up to it, a lot like the zombie invasion did with Lich King."

If Boub just copy and pastes the World of Raids article up to MMO-Champion's front page, I'm going to be an incredibly sad panda to see this misinformation spread."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser View Post
    Tom Chillton never uses the words Patch 3.9 AT ALL. He doesn't even say future content patch, he says the opposite.
    Doesn't matter what patch x.x it is the information is correct that Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms updates will be released weeks before it's on the shelves.

And when the cataclysm happens it will be all in the blink of a server maintenance. You see the old Azeroth, servers are down, you update your client and when you log in it's the new world.

From listening to the Q&A when Cataclysm is in stores you will get goblin / worgen races + starting zones, 80-85 unlocked and the new 5 mans and raids.
    Last edited by mmocae040fe99f; 2010-08-27 at 05:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The difference is, I imagine the world event they're referring to plays out like this.

They flip a server-side trigger and activate the Echo Isles and Gnomeregan events along with minor quakes.
    They activate medium level quakes and the doomsayers quest chain in the starting zones about Cho'gall.
    (1-2 days before) They activate high-level, frequent quakes.
    Servers go down.
    Players download Patch 4.0
    Deathwing Intro plays on coming back up, he sunders the world and it is forever changed.
    Players log in.
    Two weeks later, Cataclysm is released, 80-85 content is unlocked along with the new races.