Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

'Best' tank in Cata?

Unless something changes with Beta, I am looking for Beta testers thoughts on what they currently deem to be the 'best' tank in Cata?

Now that the need for AoE tanking has been 'removed' from the game, are all tanks equal and just quirky in their own playstyle? Or does one tank stand out currently above the rest?

10+ Year Old Account
    numbers havnt begun to be adjusted yet, so its not really plausible to lean in any direction

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not in the Beta, but from what I have seen AoE tanking still has its place but it's nowhere nears as abundant. I would still say Paladin b/c that has always been their niche.

no tank will be leaps and bounds ahead of the other tanks blizzard would be stupid to let that happen

Have a look at the Beta Class discussion forums, It should give you a good idea as to where certain classes are at the moment.

Personally I feel talents/abilities are way to broken or still being worked on to really deem any "Best" Tank class right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    numbers havnt begun to be adjusted yet, so its not really plausible to lean in any direction
    pretty much this, threat is still messed up aswell.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't be surprised if Blood DKs or Prot Paladins were slightly ahead of the others in Cataclysm due to the redesigns they received, but this wouldn't last too long.

Blizzard are getting better at balancing classes out.
    Dreadmaul US Horde - "Dragonsworn of the Bronze Flight"

Just cause I love my paladin... Let the protadin rule of terror begin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

At the current build it would have to be pallys and dks. But im sure blizz isnt done with druids and wars so we will have to wait and see.

Even if one tank did stand out above the rest after release they'd get nailed back down pretty fast. Blizz is all about making everybody the same but with different buttons to push.

In terms of Heroic 5man content, the tank with the most CC will always be the optimum, regardless of numbers.

id go with DK for the moment, in an environment where healers mana matters self heal should prove to be really really good

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Not sure why so many people say paladins.

Personally I predict they will be bottom of the bunch (at least initially) seeing that it's the the class most based around blocking damage.

And blocking damage in Cata only blocks a percentage of damage so paladins will take damage from all kinds of "weak" trash now where they used to be able to block all the damage of those mobs.
    while being absurdly overpowered versus high hitting monsters, unlike now where its next to useless

Deleted
    The best tank is probably the player's toon who don't get hit in the back and holds aggro all the time.

Seriously, why do people ask for "wahts the best DPS/Healer/Tank"? I don't see anything other than: "I want to be FOTM, now tell me how to do".

10+ Year Old Account
    Wherever there are gnomes that havent been eaten yet.
    warriors will always be the best tanks in my book
    <Insert something witty and humorous here>

Deleted
    Unlike dpsers, tanks are much closer to eachother in terms of who is the "best", which is good, considering tanks make or break the raids. It's also a lot harder to mesure it, it isn't a number like dmg done or healing done, you've got more factors than that; do they make enough threat so noone overaggro's? Do they have the neccesary active skills to survive difficult moments? do they have enough ways to avoid/absorb/reduce dmg? etcetera

Quote Originally Posted by BM-Hunter View Post
    warriors will always be the best tanks in my book
    saying that makes your sig look ironic

i'll be the best tank in cata!!

Really, no matter what class is, the best tank will still be something depending on the player not the class. And at this point, we don't have numbers to work out any conclusion, but anyway, if there was a class above the others, it will be just a balancing issue and won't be for too much time.

Bloodsail Admiral Overmind the 3rd's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Inquire again once some endgame content has been tested and balanced, until then there's really no reliable information to be had.
    Serve the hive
    Feel the groove
    I control
    The way you move

It's not really possible to give good numbers at this point. While all the big game-changers are in (ie 31-point talent trees and Holy Power), there's still a lot of fine tuning to do.

All I can really say is Blizzard's goal is to balance the classes well enough that encounter specifics, player skill, and even group composition are going to overwhelm any differences between the classes overall tanking ability.

Bottom line: Play the tank you feel most comfortable with, not the one a theory-crafter uses questionable math to "prove" it has a 3% advantage in some sort of ideal encounter that doesn't actually exist anywhere in the game.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.