Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Engineering or Alchemy?

I know it's kind of a noob question to ask, but I've got an 80 Troll Elemental/Restoration Shaman and I have Herbalism 160 and a free profession because I'm lazy and was focused mainly on leveling. I have taken a look at both professions myself, but I feel the need to have a 3rd party offer advice. I have a hard time getting a fair amount of dailies done (lazy, remember?) so profit might be a bit of a point. I know both have their boons in PvE, and I'm not too terribly interested in PvP, so I just ask for insight on whether I should pick up Engineering or Alchemy.
    Last edited by Stormtongue; 2010-08-28 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar.
    "Love is not something you think about, it is a state in which you dwell."

I actually use both Alchemy and Engineering on my Resto / Enhance shaman. I like teh double duration of flasks and the ability to repair and access my bank and mailbox. Love the Hyperspeed Accelerators and Nitro Boots too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanks View Post
    I actually use both Alchemy and Engineering on my Resto / Enhance shaman. I like teh double duration of flasks and the ability to repair and access my bank and mailbox. Love the Hyperspeed Accelerators and Nitro Boots too.
    See, I know that there's no way I will ever have enough money to pay for all of that... hahah.
    "Love is not something you think about, it is a state in which you dwell."

if you want a little profit you should go with alchemy

You would actualy most probably fare better by having Herbalism and simply selling the Herbs, while leveling engineering for PvE. If you raid, especialy as a shaman engineering is a big +.

But leveling engineering without mining is a pretty expensive undertaking. Repair bots, mail box, Parachaute enchant, Hyperspeed Accelerators and Nitro Boots cost almost next to nothing. Jeeves can be a bit expensive. Tho you will make no money out of engineering whatsoever.

A good option would actualy be to drop Herbalism altogheter especialy as you only have it on 160. And then pick up Mining and go level it up. Its fairly easy and does not take horrible amounts of time, you can max it probably in 2-3 days of couple of hours of farming a day. While it can be tempting to sell the mats, you should instead stack it all away, then farm some more of the stuff you are missing then level Engineering up from it.

You can keep Mining and from then on (after you leveled Engineering) simply go farm Nodes a couple of hours a week and that itself will sustain you financial needs. While you can use the utility and fun you get from engineering.

Also a few guides for leveling up your Engineering and Mining. (The engineering level up mats needed might seem overwhelming at first look but most likely you would have most of the stuff you need in your bank by the time you maxed out your Mining.)

Engineering: http://www.wowwiki.com/Economical_engineering_training

Mining: http://www.almostgaming.com/wowguide...-300-with-maps
    http://www.wow-professions.info/wow-...eveling-guide/

There are also others out there. But these are the ones i used.

Deleted
    Get alchemy, those 2 hour flasks saves you alot of money if you'll have to buy all flasks.

Alchemy is quite good at making money too:
    1. get elixir alchemy
    2. max your herbalism
    3. spend couple of hours in Storm Peaks gathering herbs
    4. make flasks and sell them, also those extra herbs and eternal / crystallized life you gathered
    5. profit!

Also you get daily transmute, which is extra money also.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2010-08-28 at 05:43 PM.

Since you are lazy, but want some gold Id go with alchemy. Don't go elixir like some one said, that takes to much work with the farming for herbs and such, if you want to be lazy about it. Matter of fact id drop herbalism, cause thats just has work written all over it. Be a transmute master and make Majestic Zircons everyday. You can buy the eternal air and sky sapphire on the AH and transmute 'em. Even if you dont multi proc you can turn about a 50-70g profit. May not seem like much, but it takes about 2 minutes to do, itll eventually all add up and the multi procs are nothing but pure profit. I also like to wait to sell them as stacks of about 3 or more, that way you can easily undercut without ruining the market and JCs will scoop that shit up quick. Currently I have 2 alchemists doing this everyday. I have 5 characters with epic/cold flying all payed for by doing about 5 minutes of "work" everday. Its not the fastest way to make gold, but its certainly easy to do if you are lazy. And if you are on the feathermoon server disregard what I said, stay the fuck off my kool-aid ahahaha.

I'd say go JC to compliment, but JC is a lot of work and youll have to dailies to get the good epic cuts.

I agree with Mihalik, engineering has a lot of perks and if you level it along with mining you can finish it up in a week (I did the same on my rogue) and you can sell all of the stuff you don't use leveling. In cataclysm mining will make you a ton of money if you level engineering quickly because Blacksmiths use all of the ore and jewelcrafters use the gems you can get from the nodes which everyone will be paying huge amounts for to get geared quickly with crafted epics and gems

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking from my own experience, having maxed out both Alchemy and Engineering, I'd have to suggest Engineering.

It's the most fun profession IMO. You'll want to take mining also. And if you plan on taking the shorter route leveling (ie buying mats and components on the AH as opposed to mining or making them) expect to shell out around 3K gold to reach max level.

Besides...motorcyle. Can't get that from a flask.

Engineering has rocket boosts and teleportation devices. What's not to love?

I'm a max level alch and herbalist, and I have pretty much always found that you'll make more money just selling herbs than you would by selling pots/flasks. I mainly use alchemy to make pots and flasks for myself.

Fun factor -- Engineering, by a long shot.
    Raid utility -- Engineering, by a long shot.
    PvP utility -- Engineering, by a loooooooong shot.
    Money saving - Alchemy by a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot.
    Convenience -- Engineering.

I went engineering midway through ToGC and never looked back.

I like the extra SP better for Ele and Resto, but the glove haste use is amazing for Enhance.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Engineering can suck a little as you will make 0g from it, only loose money.
    I kind of regret it as I like to have a decent income, I get that from Mining but somthing which requires a little less effort.

Also it isn't that good for pvp as nitro boots aren't useable in arena but as your a class that benefits from haste the hyperspeed gloves will be a good thing for you, theres also a haste/parachute enchant for cloaks

If you are mostly concerned with preparing for cataclysm and less with the remaining time in wotlk, JC and Engineering is going to be the way to go for EVERY class/spec, provided neither profession changes much from what they have shown in beta so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Axestorm View Post
    Engineering can suck a little as you will make 0g from it, only loose money.
    I kind of regret it as I like to have a decent income, I get that from Mining but somthing which requires a little less effort.

Also it isn't that good for pvp as nitro boots aren't useable in arena but as your a class that benefits from haste the hyperspeed gloves will be a good thing for you, theres also a haste/parachute enchant for cloaks
    Rocket gloves are usable in arena, and they're pretty damn nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidi View Post
    if you want a little profit you should go with alchemy
    Agreed.

engineering is SO much more fun, but if youre herbalism then you would have a really hard time getting the mats. Make an alt imo and make that toon your engineer. But If I chose between the two, engineering. And if you make an alt for engineering, I recommend rogue, cause its omg fun
    Last edited by Okard; 2010-08-31 at 05:24 PM. Reason: im an idiot

10+ Year Old Account
    Roll alchemy IMO

ive got a troll shaman with Engineering and it does nothing for him ( im ele but w/e)
    i have my hunter as well whos an engineer and i admit its usefull when you need a boost of damage and your on CD for all your abilites, but the only usefull thing i can think of is the haste glove thing and the frags

15+ Year Old Account
    get both. screw herbalism