Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    y not just make it like the trash mobs on 2nd boss of 5man ToC. Like a healing stream totem or something that "shoots out" heals to random party/raid members withing x yards
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

One should not blame poor design when stupid DPS are the issue.

/spam DPS skills
    /click lightwell
    /targetlasttarget
    /spam DPS skills

It's not hard.
    Last edited by Direpanda; 2010-08-28 at 03:58 PM.
    Still waiting on the skillscore addon ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Direpanda View Post

/spam DPS skills
    /click lightwell
    /spam DPS skills

It's not hard.
    Fixed for Cata

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The main problem it had was causing target switches.
    Exactly. But this issue is removed in Cata.

The point being is that other members of the raid will need to take a lot more responsibility for their own survivibility, instead of relying on the healers.
    Lightwell, allbeit not in the current implementation is intended for that purpose.
    Those who are so keen to trash it are those who are too damn lazy to go and click it.
    The same people who will either spam for a summon to voa when they are standing in dalaran, or will stand next to a warlock and not bother to click the green glowing circle for summoning stone/soulwell.

Quote Originally Posted by oddf3llow View Post
    Now, what would happen if it gave DPS a damage buff as well as a HOT? I think the problem would disappear instantly!! lol
    Nice Idea..

They should rename it "Holy Well" and perhaps combine it with Chakra so you can choose if you want to cast a Lightwell or a Moonwell, health for the former and mana for the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda1337 View Post
    They should rename it "Holy Well" and perhaps combine it with Chakra so you can choose if you want to cast a Lightwell or a Moonwell, health for the former and mana for the latter.
    Moonwell sounds more like a Druid skill.

Although I'd be down with it.
    Still waiting on the skillscore addon ...

The only way lightwell will be good would be to make it an auto heal which would make it pretty much a god mode spell. As is very few people are going to want to click the lightwell just incase someone is going to overheal them .2 seconds later. Point is why click something when you are already expecting a heal. Whether im healing or dpsing, i expect the healers to heal me if im dpsing and i expect to keep everyone alive as a healer, i understand that as a dps you want to maximize numbers and i rely on my healers to keep me up through routine damage.

Honestly in most raid groups i expect my healers to heal, my dps to dps, and my tanks to get agro, the tanks dont have to worry bout healing themselves most times (yes there are some o shit times but that is a part of tanking), and the dps dont have to worry bout healin short of o shit ice block moments. And the healers don't have to worry bout dpsing at most times once again. I jus think the only viable way to make this thing work is if it autoheals people taking damage.
    Last edited by xile; 2010-08-28 at 04:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    The only way lightwell will be good would be to make it an auto heal which would make it pretty much a god mode spell. As is very few people are going to want to click the lightwell just incase someone is going to overheal them .2 seconds later. Point is why click something when you are already expecting a heal. Whether im healing or dpsing, i expect the healers to heal me if im dpsing and i expect to keep everyone alive as a healer, i understand that as a dps you want to maximize numbers and i rely on my healers to keep me up through routine damage.

Honestly in most raid groups i expect my healers to heal, my dps to dps, and my tanks to get agro, the tanks dont have to worry bout healing themselves most times (yes there are some o shit times but that is a part of tanking), and the dps dont have to worry bout healin short of o shit ice block moments. And the healers don't have to worry bout dpsing at most times once again. I jus think the only viable way to make this thing work is if it autoheals people taking damage.
    ^^ ignorant

And probably never played in Vanilla or TBC. Also, probably a bad DPS and someone I wouldn't take on my raids.

Title pretty much says it all.

At this point, in 2010, you really don't need to say any more. Lightwell needs to go the way of the dodo.

It's time.

Don't care how efficient it was in vanilla if people in your raid actually knew how to use it. Don't care if a minuscule percentage
    of the priest population still uses it. It's a failure of a talent, and never should have made it out of vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Yewen View Post
    "Lightwell Feedback Needed
    While any kind of feedback is helpful to a degree, we are much more interested in the feedback of players who have tried Lightwell in the most recent beta builds than those who just never cared for the talent. We are actively making changes to the spell to see how it plays, so it's important for us to know if the changes are noticeable and fun without that feedback getting buried under the cruft of bad reputation that Lightwell has built up over time. If it's still not cutting it, we're prepared to try something different, but we need a chance to see if that is in fact the case. (Source)"

The way I feel about this is so hard to put into words, but hell, I'll give it a shot.

Blizzard needs to stop with the Lightwell. I mean FFS did the dev that invented the concept sleep with the head dev, and if it cut the guy will tell on the head dev? I mean for freakin sakes Blizzard. Pushing the useless skill on Priests is alittle bit cheap and very annoying. Not one class has this "ability" and we all know DPS is wayyy to focused on DPSing than to have to click on something else, like Lolwell. God damn it, this kind of crap is annoying as shit. I don't understand the intent of them keeping it. If their main concern is to keep every class unique then, for god sakes, there are plenty more ideas out there than this shitty one. If their intent is to make DPS choose rather to live or die, then... they have grossly over estimated the intelligence of DPS out there. And for them to say "Dps will have to more warey about their HP because of Healers Mana concerns" is a fucking joke. Why in the hell are they giving us Life Grip if they think DPS are capable of actually moving away from damage?! Throughout this game they have never given a reason for DPS to be accountable for their actions in raid encounters, other than being in the right spot and the right time. And for those DPS that have been playing this for .. oh.. 4 years, they perhaps can get out of damage if needed, but never have been forced to. (Always room for exceptions)

So my conclusion: Stop asking us feedback for fucking Lightwell, it was and always will be a useless ass talent, and like now, if we didn't have to put a point in there, we NEVER would. And the fact that they're forcing it on us, like a fat guy hitting on a hot girl at a bar, is really sad, and disturbing.
    Stop the tunnel vision and maybe you'll be good.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post

Point is, in cataclysm healer's won't be able to spam heal every single person, so a priest dropping lightwell could go like, "It's in melee, healer's focus on keeping ranged alive" or something, Blizz has said they want to change how healing feel's in cataclysm, and DPS might have to worry about healing themselves cuz if they don't they might die, or their healer might go OOM and a tank dies. If no one needs heals blizz has also said they are putting in slight DPS talent's for healers.

Stop thinking the WoTLK way of healing and see how Blizz is going to be changing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Demonology Warlock = Beast Mastery Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Certin View Post
    Funny ... I've never seen a hunter transform into a huge ass gorilla and come and roflstomp ur ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Direpanda View Post

/spam DPS skills
    /click lightwell
    /targetlasttarget
    /spam DPS skills

It's not hard.
    That's right, blame the dps for a stupid design that requires them to get within range to heal themselves to lose their current target.

It's not hard, but it's also not even close to optimal for a healer or dps to use lightwell at this point in time. So stop with the BS that dps are too stupid to use it, because if that was the actual issue you'd see lightwell used in world first kill videos, which you don't. It's not an optimal spell for anyone, and that's why it isn't used.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    ^^ ignorant

And probably never played in Vanilla or TBC. Also, probably a bad DPS and someone I wouldn't take on my raids.
    ^^ Did I ever tell you, I love you? xP

---------- Post added 2010-08-28 at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    That's right, blame the dps for a stupid design that requires them to get within range to heal themselves to lose their current target.

It's not hard, but it's also not even close to optimal for a healer or dps to use lightwell at this point in time. So stop with the BS that dps are too stupid to use it, because if that was the actual issue you'd see lightwell used in world first kill videos, which you don't. It's not an optimal spell for anyone, and that's why it isn't used.

So now say your melee, which is you are the priest if he's going to put lightwell in the melee will put it in your range, so all you have to do it shuffle over a bit, which you CAN do because you are almost all instant's, so shuffle over while spamming your keybinds still in range of the boss, now move (gasp you have to work!) your mouse over to the well and right click. Ta da! you just got a heal.

Now if your ranged, and it's in range of you duh, cast a spell and click it while the spell is casting, it doesn't even invoke a global, or run over while refreshing/casting any instants you have and click it.

W/o invoking a gcd and even if it changes your target, any competant player can use lightwell.
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Demonology Warlock = Beast Mastery Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Certin View Post
    Funny ... I've never seen a hunter transform into a huge ass gorilla and come and roflstomp ur ass.

There is a saying in the IT industry, never try to solve a sociological problem with a technical solution. What this means is that while tech may enable new behaviour you can't (normally) use it to explicitly change behaviour.

Lightwell suffers from sociological problems. Even if you can pursuade priests that the new version is worth casting you have to pursuade dps that the new version is worth clicking.
    If you don't then what happens? The priest's healing goes down. The result is that RLers will think that the priest is a poorer healer than he really is, and so the priest suffers.

There is a simple way to fix this - which is that clicking lolwell should also provide a small DPS boost or perhaps a speed boost along with a longer & stronger hot. Suddenly good dps will be all over it like a rash. Of course this is OP, so after about 1 major patch Blizz can then remove or reduce the dps buff, but by then the perception of the spell will be changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post

Oh joy, this forum is just full of people like this today!

Let me explain to you the many reasons you are wrong:

1.) A DPS who cannot juggle clicking a lightwell and then resuming DPS is just a retarded DPS. I've never once had a problem stopping my rotation to bandage myself or popping Death Pact when I feel that heals are better needed elsewhere. And surely if i knew i had a lightwell behind me, id turn to click it if i was in need. Idealy, the priest is smart enough to put the lightwell on top of you so you dont have to move.
    2.) Of course its not optimal. Neither is spamming renew on the raid if everyone is topped off, or popping CoH every CD despite a lack of true need. No spell is optimal until it is needed.
    3.) Who do you think my priorities on heals are? Tanks, Heals, then DPS. Now, by that logic, you are the last person i will get around to healing. So, while you wait for me to get to you, how much DPS will you lose by turning around to click a fucking button? Very little. You are simply being selfish as a DPS and wanting to optimize your abilities to increase your epeen. Get with the program, Cataclysm will be all about you as a DPS actually having to be, GASP, smart.

Lightwell. Proving since forever that DPS would rather see big numbers than keep themselves alive.

It's not a bad spell. People are too lazy to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike View Post
    There is a saying in the IT industry, never try to solve a sociological problem with a technical solution. What this means is that while tech may enable new behaviour you can't (normally) use it to explicitly change behaviour.

Lightwell suffers from sociological problems. Even if you can pursuade priests that the new version is worth casting you have to pursuade dps that the new version is worth clicking.
    If you don't then what happens? The priest's healing goes down. The result is that RLers will think that the priest is a poorer healer than he really is, and so the priest suffers.

There is a simple way to fix this - which is that clicking lolwell should also provide a small DPS boost or perhaps a speed boost along with a longer & stronger hot. Suddenly good dps will be all over it like a rash. Of course this is OP, so after about 1 major patch Blizz can then remove or reduce the dps buff, but by then the perception of the spell will be changed.
    Unfortuntely your logic is lost on the Priest Healing part of it. In its current form, Lightwell takes me about half a second to cast. It lasts for 3 minutes. And in almost every fight, i have that and more time where I am sitting idle waiting for a need to heal. Lightwell then becomes passive (for the healer), and if anything has the potential to increase my heal total. Worst case scenario: I lose .5 seconds of my potential healing, and since holy priests have all the potential in the world to top the charts (yes, even over resto druids), you really arent losing much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in BC I used to spec into lightwell for when I would die I would place it out while in the spirit form but early wotlk they made it so when you die your lightwell vanishes too, which led to it being no use to me since I placed it out if I ever died, so I specced out of it later and haven't checked since if they fixed it back to the way it was before.