Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    I can play any game on my Mac that you are playing on your Windows machine.
    Probably even better too.
    lol rofl hahahahaha
    1. i'm just guessing your an ignorant mac user that couldn't figure out a windows or linux os so you got a mac because the os is "user friendly"
    2. go to the pc game isle at your local store, see all those games that have "games for windows" on the top of the case? guess what? YOU CAN'T PLAY THEM! (through OSX) not to mention theres other games out there with out the "games for windows" that only work on pc
    3. custom pc's blow your mac out of the water in performance

on topic though the chance you get hacked with an authenticator is really low. anything you lose they will replace when you have your account back, it isn't a problem. also you might want to consider changing your antivirus program, they are NOT all the same. i recommend either bitdefender if you don't mind paying annually, or AVG if you don't want to pay for anything
    Last edited by Peachy; 2010-09-01 at 06:53 PM. Reason: had to stay on topic instead of just flaming
    "How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us." - Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by RedMageNeko View Post
    My account was hacked tonight. I've had an authenticator for months and no one has access to it but me. Its on my keyring and kept either on my desk infront of me or in my pocket at all times. So it appears I wasted my money on a useless security device. GG Blizz, you useless bastards. Now I have to wait and HOPE some idiot at customer support answers my request, changes my password so I can get back on, and recover all my items and gold, which I KNOW are gone by now. I had almost 8 eighties, a massive stockpile of gold and mats for every profession divided up amongst a half dozen characters on my main server, not to mention I had spent months gearing out and enchanting a number of them to their best in slot.

If you've got an authenticator, you might as well throw the damn thing away because apparently Blizz makes useless crap now.
    complaining about authenticators not working...

like others said Man in the middle attack can still happen, and also like others say its only 99 percent safe... you got a trojan/spyware virus and how? you were lacking to use anti spyware and malware programs

you blamed someone else when it was your own fault
    MY BETA INVITE IS OVER 9,000!

Red face

Hello everyone,

I ussually just read here but I decided to chip in as an attempt to promote some smart decisions. I am a computer forensics major and have reviewed as well as participted in arguments about macs. It is true that macs are less likely to be infected by malware. It is also true that the machines themselves are perfectly capable. There is an issue that causes me to advice anyone against buying a mac though, currently at least. They are severly overpriced comparitively. This goes for all mac models, low end, high end, servers, ect. For the same amount you pay for any mac you can buy a machine that is much better equiped elsewhere. The more higher end you go the more drastic that difference becomes. For those skilled enough or know someone skilled enough a home build is by far the best choice, but other distributers still offer much better deals for priceVperformance. Simply if you buy a mac you are wasting performance/money.

I would also note that independent sources review anti virus software constantly and you can aquire their reports for free. I strongly suggest that people do so every now and then. The last I checked avira had the best detection rates (a free program). To find such reviews just google anti virus comparisons.

I hope this info is helpful,
    Joe

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    the e-mail from Blizzard saying I had just changed my password came and I clicked it immediately thinking perhaps I had gotten a beta invite or something..
    This is how you where hacked. You clicked a link you shouldn't of clicked on. That email from blizzard was NOT from them. They may look like they are but closer inspection will show the so called real link actually sends you somewhere else. Another thing to notice is to look at the email properties and look for a @hotmail.com email address in there. There should not be one in there so if there is then it's a bogus email. You click the link and they have your account.

There is no one stop fix-all security. Not Macs (which contrary to popular myth are not immune to keyloggers and other malware), not antivirus, not anti-malware, not even authenticators. It requires using all the security measures you can reasonably use and even then there is always that chance someone is determined or lucky enough to get through it all. Nothing at all is 100% but the more layers of security and awareness you have the harder it is to penetrate.

So keep the authenticator, keep the antivirus, keep the other security procedures up to date and keep your awareness high of where and what you're doing online. Even "safe" websites can be compromised through various means (highly unlikely but so is getting compromised with an authenticator; it can still happen).

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason why the mac computers do not get as many virus etc is because there alot more PC computers with Windows OS on them then MAC. If you going to make a virus then it would make more sense to make for Windows OS then Mac OS/computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Buy a Windows.
    5 years and still playing hack-free, without any authenticator shit or other bullshit.
    Yeah, only times I've ever gotten viruses etc. have been as the result of risky surfing and/or my own stupidity. I haven't gotten a single virus in years, though.
    "Like it's MY fault some BIG dragon knocked me into a cave full of LITTLE dragons!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperweight View Post
    The community didn't go down the shitter because of the LFG system, the LFG system just introduced you to the shitty community in a horribly effective way.

Oh c'mon. Authentificator does not mean "ultimate security", it means "more secure than without one", plus i dont think all those accounts have been compromised by hacking, Keylogging and MITM.

I think from time to time, someone with a low salary gets fine money for a big list with accountnames and passwords.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

I bet you don't have an authenticator and because you got hacked you're kicking yourself in the shins for not getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Snivena View Post
    It's ridiculous that Blizzard actually charges people for account security. It should unquestionably be a service they provide for no additional cost.
    It's rediculous that they need to go out of their way to produce an extra layer of account security because people are too stupid to take care of it themselves, actually.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Not really. That's the fools assumption. Because WOW accounts have an actual monetary value (the more they have in them the more real money can be made selling them) they're targets. And because there are so many accounts it's easy to snag them from a variety of places and through a variety of means (keyloggers don't just get installed via email). Saying people are "too stupid" to keep their accounts safe when the vast majority of players don't know the depth and level of phishing scams for instance is just proof of your own ignorance about the real threats to account security.

There are so many ways to compromise an account that most people don't know of. The constant QQ about casuals on this forum should make it obvious how the majority of players don't know just how valuable their account is to someone looking to steal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    Ever heard of the middleman spyware?

Here is some basic info:
    A trojan virus have been confirmed by Blizzard to be able to break the Authenticator protection.

What it does:
    It stops the code you are sending to Blizzard from the Authenticator, and it sends another code instead, giving you a error message.
    The code that it have intercepted will give the Keylogging person a few seconds to log in and change/destroy the account information that you have.

How to check if you have this trojan:
    Search your computer for a file called "emcor.dll", and delete it. It's most likely put itself into the "C:\Users\(Your user name)\AppData\Temp" folder, but do a complete search just to make sure you get it.

Problem is, if you find the virus, then it probably means your account is already compromised.

Get a good Anti-virus program and make sure that you do a virus check atleast once each second day at a minimum.

However, if you already have a good Anti-Virus program and a Authenticator, then you are very likely to be safe already.
    If you have a Anti-Virus program where you can modify what files to get, then I suggest you type in that Trojan name at once, so that you can avoid this ever coming onto your computer.

I borrowed that info from another Benitora I'm stalkin.
    What he said.... middleman-attacks r the most fun, any lock in history is still opend by the correct key.

My account was hacked tonight. I've had an authenticator for months and no one has access to it but me. Its on my keyring and kept either on my desk infront of me or in my pocket at all times. So it appears I wasted my money on a useless security device. GG Blizz, you useless bastards. Now I have to wait and HOPE some idiot at customer support answers my request, changes my password so I can get back on, and recover all my items and gold, which I KNOW are gone by now. I had almost 8 eighties, a massive stockpile of gold and mats for every profession divided up amongst a half dozen characters on my main server, not to mention I had spent months gearing out and enchanting a number of them to their best in slot.

If you've got an authenticator, you might as well throw the damn thing away because apparently Blizz makes useless crap now.

Remember OP, PEBKAC.

Problem
    Exists
    Between
    Keyboard
    And
    Chair
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

Quote Originally Posted by Khronical View Post
    Your account without authenticator: 90% chance to be hacked.
    I just love when the people pull some number out of nowhere, and after that claim it's valid.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2010-09-02 at 08:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    I just love when people pull some number out of nowhere, and after that claim it's valid.
    Imo you should not really blame blizzard. Instead blame the one who stole the account. There is like 1 from million chance that someone can hack something like that.

Weird, I've had mine since they released it and have never been hacked once.

15+ Year Old Account
    Closing this, as it's full of flaming and I think everything relevant has already been said.