Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

HELP! hunter in need of advice, for bad dps.

Hi, I rolled hunter after getting bored of my other classes, and have loved it ever since. However now that i'm in the process of raiding, i realise that my dps is awful.
    for example last thursday i was only pulling 5.5k dps on toravon. while this was second it the meter, i had better gear than most of the raid.
    i am trying to replace ALL of my pvp gear, and i know my arp sucks.
    my rotation is Hunter's Mark> Serpent Sting> Aimed Shot> Chimera Shot> 4x Steady Shot.
    Here is the link to my armory page wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bronzebeard&cn=Roenir, since i cant post urls yet, it's an EU server Char
    Please help me
    Last edited by mmoc1e59262634; 2010-08-31 at 01:33 PM.

Linky no worky, and the Armory says you don't exist.

I commend you for being one to ask for advice instead of being one of those players who started playing in wotlk and just turned 80 and think they know everything.

Anyways, the link to your armory is broken (at least for me) and therefore I cannot be of much help, but I wish you luck in finding what your looking for!

Deleted
    yeah, i accidently put a space between wowarmory and .com, and it's eu btw

---------- Post added 2010-08-31 at 01:24 PM ----------

basically, my char name is Roenir, my realm is Bronzebeard EU, I think i am the only Roenir in EU realms.

You have 7 pvp items, missing gems and enchants.
    Under 20% ArP and no trinket with ArP proc.

You should spec Surv with your gear.

And you are not hit capped.

First, you have PvP gear. Get rid of it and try and run head/legs T9 and T10 pieces, with belt and boots and that filled in with random ICC drops. Rock Steady Treads are awesome boots, I highly recommend them. At your current gear level you shouldn't be gemming arp, it's a lot worse than agility until you get DBW, the Halion trinket or can gem for the hard-cap with a NES/Toll/Runestone proc. You're not quite at the hitcap, you need 8%, so you could trade a point from rapid recuperation to focused aim. Use your wolf and give it talents. Glyph-wise, you should get glyph of steady shot instead of aimed shot so your chimera and aimed have the same cooldown [makes it much easier to follow the aimed/chimera/steadyx4 rotation]. Finally, you have too much haste; MM hunters can get away with either having none or having around 50 odd [a piece of gear with haste, essentially] to account for latency issues.

Short version;
    Change gems to agility.
    Get rid of PvP gear.
    Get hit capped.
    Change glyph and spec.

Edit: as was said above, survival would be a better option at your gear level; basically follow what I said above but get Glyph of Explosive shot over Glyph of Steady and keep the haste till steady is a 1.5 sec cast.

Yeah, telling us the right Armory to use would have been a plus. Your gemming needs work. Without an ARP proc trinket and/or ICC gear, gemming for ARP is a loss in DPS over straight agility gems and enchants (where applicable). Get yourself at least 2pc T9 and go with the spec I'm using on my hunter: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...ngshot&group=1

Rotation should be Mark > Serpent Sting > Aimed Shot > Steady Shot x2 > Chimera Shot > Steady Shot x2 > Aimed shot > Repeat the cycle of AS > SSx2 > Chimera > SSx2 ad infinitum until kill shot comes into play, and replace one of your steady shots with a kill shot.

Hmmm methinks halmotors shouldn't be giving hunter advice. Looking at his linked armory he's sitting at 10.55% hit and doesn't really look like he's had much more than some heroic 5 man experience. Don't be a snowflake, there's no reason to tell someone to do some special rotation that doesn't prioritize Chimera>Aimed.

And can we stop with the 'gemming to softcap with arp trinket'? Just gem agi until the spreadsheet says you have enough arp on gear to switch.

Now to dispel all of the bad info here...

Femaledwarf has you at about 7900 theoretical dps in your current gear as MM. It puts you around 7500 in SV. Switching Steady Shot glyph for your Aimed shot glyph will be a good upgrade.

You definitely want to be gemming agility, its your best stat. Don't use the 20 pen gems, don't use the 16 or 20 crit gems. You need a little bit of hit so a 10 agi/10 hit gem in one of your ungemmed YELLOW sockets is a good idea. That will put you just over hit cap so you can gem agi the rest of the way.
    Last edited by Lilcheeks; 2010-08-31 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks View Post
    Hmmm methinks halmotors shouldn't be giving hunter advice. Looking at his linked armory he's sitting at 10.55% hit and doesn't really look like he's had much more than some heroic 5 man experience.
    My hit is due to latent stats on gear; I'm not gemmed or enchanted for it. I've also been playing this hunter since the second day the servers were up in 2004, so I think I know how to play a hunter, despite the fact that I haven't killed LK 25 HM.

Don't be a snowflake, there's no reason to tell someone to do some special rotation that doesn't prioritize Chimera>Aimed.
    Actually, that's the highest DPS rotation as according the Elitist Jerks, and I'll take their words over some random shmo on the MMO-Champion forum any day of the week. This rotation allows you to fit in two Steady Shots in time for your Chimera/Aimed Shots to come off of cooldown. You can play the game however you want, but if you want to max your DPS, you can't just shoot off shit willy nilly like an idiot.

And can we stop with the 'gemming to softcap with arp trinket'? Just gem agi until the spreadsheet says you have enough arp on gear to switch.
    It's a pretty common practice to pick up an ArP trinket, and wait until you have enough latent ArP on your gear to make gemming for it worthwhile. Just gemming for ArP will bring you nowhere near the soft cap; you need it on your gear. For someone who touts themselves as knowing more about the hunter class than someone with almost 6 years of experience, you sure don't know a lot.

You definitely want to be gemming agility, its your best stat. Don't use the 20 pen gems, don't use the 16 or 20 crit gems. You need a little bit of hit so a 10 agi/10 hit gem in one of your ungemmed YELLOW sockets is a good idea. That will put you just over hit cap so you can gem agi the rest of the way.
    Thanks for basically repeating what I said. Next time you're going to say 'don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about', do your homework and give credible, correct information, and don't parrot what the person said. It really makes you look like an idiot.

Also, where's your hunter armory link?

Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    Yeah, telling us the right Armory to use would have been a plus. Your gemming needs work. Without an ARP proc trinket and/or ICC gear, gemming for ARP is a loss in DPS over straight agility gems and enchants (where applicable). Get yourself at least 2pc T9 and go with the spec I'm using on my hunter: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...ngshot&group=1

Rotation should be Mark > Serpent Sting > Aimed Shot > Steady Shot x2 > Chimera Shot > Steady Shot x2 > Aimed shot > Repeat the cycle of AS > SSx2 > Chimera > SSx2 ad infinitum until kill shot comes into play, and replace one of your steady shots with a kill shot.
    Allow me to correct you abit, first off - you dont have a set rotation, you should be using a priority system like this: Silencing Shot (its not on the GCD), Kill Shot, Serpent Sting (if not already up), Chimera Shot, Aimed Shot, Steady Shot.

That means you dont just stick to a set rotation, but take the shot with the most damage output.

BUT you do a start rotation like this: Serpent Sting(will be refreshed by Chimera from now on), Chimera Shot, Aimed Shot, Steady Shotx4 and keep it going, unless one of your better shots get ready(hence its a priority system)

And put HM on the target before you start pewpewing

Deleted
    i trust you also read up on the reasoning behind the aimed shot, 2 SS, CS, 2 SS rotation. when you are arp capped or really close to it your aimed shot will do more dmg then the direct dmg of your CS in a lot of cases. you weave in 2 steady shots in between to not waste a possible imp steady shot proc. untill you're confident taht you can keep up this rotation even on heavy movement fights it's not worth it since it's more beneficial to chain AS and CS after eachother while you're moving. giving a new hunter the advice to keep this rotation isn't really helping.

roenir just follow the basic things they said which you'll find in most of the other gear posts aswell, gem agi get hitcapped (263 rating or put 1 point into focussed aim) replace pvp items. even a lot of old badge vendor items will do better then pvp gear.
    follow the basic rotation mark>sting>CS>AS>4xSS there's nothing really wrong with your current MM spec.

as you get better and better geared you can read up on forums like elitistjerks to see if other rotations will give you better dps and such untill then just keep it simple

Quote Originally Posted by krallamulla View Post
    Allow me to correct you abit, first off - you dont have a set rotation, you should be using a priority system like this: Silencing Shot (its not on the GCD), Kill Shot, Serpent Sting (if not already up), Chimera Shot, Aimed Shot, Steady Shot.

That means you dont just stick to a set rotation, but take the shot with the most damage output.

BUT you do a start rotation like this: Serpent Sting(will be refreshed by Chimera from now on), Chimera Shot, Aimed Shot, Steady Shotx4 and keep it going, unless one of your better shots get ready(hence its a priority system)

And put HM on the target before you start pewpewing
    Sorry, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. I've extensively tested the various combinations of AS/CS/SS, and the one you posted has never been a DPS increase for me. Could be my low haste, or it could be it's just not optimal. The one I posted has always given me the max amount of DPS (average 5400 on the test dummy, 5100 for your priority system). I realize that it's not always possible to follow a set rotation, especially in a raid environment with a lot of movement, but I've found that when I'm able to use this rotation, it maximizes my DPS. Otherwise I agree with the priority system for fights with movement.

I also forgot to mention that I macro Silencing Shot into all my shots so it's always on CD. Shame that won't work in Cata. :<
    Last edited by halmotors; 2010-09-01 at 12:33 PM.

"There is a fly in the ointment. Shit has hit the fan. The lion will speak!" - Saul Silver

My hit is due to latent stats on gear; I'm not gemmed or enchanted for it. I've also been playing this hunter since the second day the servers were up in 2004, so I think I know how to play a hunter, despite the fact that I haven't killed LK 25 HM.
    *sigh* I don't know why I bother here... but here goes...

What the hell does this have to do with huntering in wotlk? Grats you've played your hunter since 2004. Your current experience sucks, and that's all that's relevant here. Your vanilla/BC glory days are irrelevant. Your armory makes you currently look like a scrub.

Actually, that's the highest DPS rotation as according the Elitist Jerks, and I'll take their words over some random shmo on the MMO-Champion forum any day of the week. This rotation allows you to fit in two Steady Shots in time for your Chimera/Aimed Shots to come off of cooldown. You can play the game however you want, but if you want to max your DPS, you can't just shoot off shit willy nilly like an idiot.
    We're giving advice to someone starting out. What's the best damage shot for an undergeared hunter? CS. That's nice that you know how the prioritization changes when you are almost arp capped. Guess what though, you aren't. Femaledwarf has you at a 1.03 dps LOSS when YOU prioritize aimed shot over chimera shot in optimal raid buffs(which is normal situation for anyone raiding seriously). You're a douche. What do you use to track procs? In 4-5 minute fights its not uncommon to only get a handful of ISS procs at all.

It's a pretty common practice to pick up an ArP trinket, and wait until you have enough latent ArP on your gear to make gemming for it worthwhile. Just gemming for ArP will bring you nowhere near the soft cap; you need it on your gear. For someone who touts themselves as knowing more about the hunter class than someone with almost 6 years of experience, you sure don't know a lot.
    This is blablabla poop talk. Thanks though.

Thanks for basically repeating what I said. Next time you're going to say 'don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about', do your homework and give credible, correct information, and don't parrot what the person said. It really makes you look like an idiot.

Also, where's your hunter armory link?
    You mad bro? Look me up if you care. I don't really care. My username here is my game name.
    Last edited by Lilcheeks; 2010-09-01 at 05:45 PM.

*sigh* I don't know why I bother here... but here goes...

What the hell does this have to do with huntering in wotlk? Grats you've played your hunter since 2004. Your current experience sucks, and that's all that's relevant here. Your vanilla/BC glory days are irrelevant. Your armory makes you currently look like a scrub.

We're giving advice to someone starting out. What's the best damage shot for an undergeared hunter? CS. That's nice that you know how the prioritization changes when you are almost arp capped. Guess what though, you aren't. Femaledwarf has you at a 1.03 dps LOSS when YOU prioritize aimed shot over chimera shot in optimal raid buffs(which is normal situation for anyone raiding seriously). You're a douche. What do you use to track procs? In 4-5 minute fights its not uncommon to only get a handful of ISS procs at all.

This is blablabla poop talk. Thanks though.

You mad bro? Look me up if you care. I don't really care. My username here is my game name.
    OH NOES, A 1 DPS LOSS. WHATEVER THE FUCK SHALL I DO.

You ask me if I'm mad...but you sound like the mad one. You know you don't have a pot to piss in when you resort to calling people names. Your just another elitist who thinks that just because someone hasn't cleared every single piece of content that they know absolutely nothing about the game. You haven't even kill PP 10M HM, much less cleared LK 10M HM, so why should we listen to you over anyone else in this thread? Also, lulz at your glove and boot enchants. You're also way under hit cap, and you bash me for being a little bit over? Pot, meet kettle.

You're also way under hit cap, and you bash me for being a little bit over? Pot, meet kettle.
    You are incorrect. Check out his pve spec -- he has 3 points in focused aim. Add to that his toon is a draenei, and you'll see he's quite nicely capped at 8.03. I would agree that his glove enchant is second-rate, but his boot enchant is best in slot. You have a lot of homework to do before you can start criticizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skybluesky View Post
    You are incorrect. Check out his pve spec -- he has 3 points in focused aim. Add to that his toon is a draenei, and you'll see he's quite nicely capped at 8.03. I would agree that his glove enchant is second-rate, but his boot enchant is best in slot. You have a lot of homework to do before you can start criticizing.
    Good call on the gloves.

You haven't even kill PP 10M HM, much less cleared LK 10M HM
    25s?

I'm done helping him derail this thread. Can't argue with people who don't know what they're talking about because they don't know when they are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Skybluesky View Post
    Hit rating from talents also doesn't transfer to your pet, which can lead to a loss in DPS. It's still subpar.

---------- Post added 2010-09-01 at 09:53 PM ----------

Good call on the gloves.

25s?

I'm done helping him derail this thread. Can't argue with people who don't know what they're talking about because they don't know when they are wrong.

Hit rating from talents also doesn't transfer to your pet, which can lead to a loss in DPS. It's still subpar.
    Really... you should let it go. Hit rating from talent DOES transfer to your pet now, since 3.1.... for such a walking EJ dictionary such as yourself you should know this.

Funny pic tho. =P

Again -- you should read more and post less. *Even if* it didn't transfer to his pet, the additional dps gained by being able to gem ArP rather than hit would make up for his pet having a 3% miss rate. Check out the builds on EJ -- using FA in MM is a dps gain.