Thread: impHM vs impSS

impHM vs impSS

what is better for pure personal dps? I can't find a definitive answer.

assuming no other hunter with impHM in raid, and a no-arcane shot build.

thanks

I'm not sure the net dmg difference, but I do know every MM hunter spec impSS and 99% dont spec impHM.

also, if this is about what you should use your spare points on; I would suggest Hawk Eye, the practical side of this is just pure awesome!

I guess I'm in the 1%.

I find that for myself and for our raids, having Imp HM talent, but not the glyph is a DPS increase for me as well as the raid(3 hunters). Try it on femaledwarf.com for yourself.

Serpent sting is a bigger DPS increase.

However imp steadyshot is a DPS loss even for yourself against imp HM.

So unless you have a imp HM hunter in your raid 3/3 imp HM > imp steadyshot

Quote Originally Posted by Oweena View Post
    Serpent sting is a bigger DPS increase.
    Where did that come from?

how do I make get femaledwarf to figure out my best spec for my gear?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tell it to import your toon from the armory.
    Then just give it wowhead talent build URL's one by one in the box near the bottom.
    Click "UPDATE DPS" between each talent import.
    Take notes.

Imp SS could be either Serpect Sting or Steady Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Oweena View Post
    However imp steadyshot is a DPS loss even for yourself against imp HM.
    How is that? Improved Steady Shot continues to scale with your gear as the damage of Chimera or Aimed shot keeps going up with better gear. The AP from Improved HM doesn't scale since it's not affected by things like TSA or other buffs. So 500 x30% brings it up to 650AP. A meger 150 AP increase over a 15% damage increase to one of our most important shots that scales with gear? I don't think so.

yes imp HM gives you more dps in a pure single target fight, but you have to remember every time you're attacking a none marked(with your mark to be precise) target those talent points are completely wasted.You still want to get it if you're raiding with more than two hunters or in a 2nd specc for those pure single target fights.

IF you have 3 hunters (or more) in your raid, one of you (preferably the least skilled/geared/lowest DPS) should get ImpHM, and whoever gets it should be left to mark targets. Tell the others to not overwrite it or they are retarded.
    It is a 150AP boost to ALL ranged shots affected by RAP by ALL hunters on that marked target, whereas ImpSS is a 15% damage boost to ONE hunter on ONE shot at a time with a chance of the talent not proc'ing when Cimera/Aimed come off CD.
    Now, if you target switch alot, or the hunter with Imp mark can't keep it up for whatever reason, then it is a wasted talent.

To answer the question, ImpSS is better for personal DPS and, with no other hunter in the raid, it is better to take ImpSS. In 10man groups, this is common, in 25s, usually there's 2-4 hunters (in my experience) so one would get ImpHM. It all depends on what you raid and who you raid with.

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    A meger 150 AP increase over a 15% damage increase to one of our most important shots that scales with gear? I don't think so.
    You're mistaken about what ISS does at rank 3. You get a 15% chance that your next chim/aimed/arcane will have its damage increased by 15%. You're talking like it's a 100% chance of a 15% damage increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Skybluesky View Post
    You're mistaken about what ISS does at rank 3. You get a 15% chance that your next chim/aimed/arcane will have its damage increased by 15%. You're talking like it's a 100% chance of a 15% damage increase.
    Never said it was a 100% chance, and never thought that for a second. It procs often enough that is is up more then 15% of the time however. The point I was making is that it's damage scales, while Imp HM does not. For personal DPS, Imp SS is better then Imp HM. Like otehrs have said, and most everyone knows, if you get 3 or more Hutners in the raid the one with the lowest DPS takes Imp HM to benefit all the Hunters. Just by yourself though you stick with Imp SS.