Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't think you are making a fair comparison. You say it runs cooler compared to a 5970 but the 5970 is just air cooled while you are comparing it to a watercooled GPU. Also SLI only offers a improvement in games that support it and for double the cost you certainly don't get double the performance.

Furthermore, you say it is cheaper but you don't factor the additional cost of all the watercooling equipment you need as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Based on current pricing and benchmarks, 2x GTX460 SLI as high end solution instead of 5870, and EVGA GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW for the ridiculous set builders. That water cooled GTX480 is pretty even with 5970, bit ahead on some games, bit behind on others on stock speeds. The reviewers managed to OC it by another 25% running at half the temperature of 5970 which would've beaten the 5970 card in all games with just one GPU. If you look at the top end, Radeon cards are slightly better for DX9/DX10 stuff and Fermi cards for DX11.

edit:

Also that watercooled GTX480 is about 30% cheaper than Asus ARES or Sapphire Toxic, making it clear winner in both price as well as performance.

Deleted
    Tell you what, we'll do 6 screen eyefinity next and see what ridiculous results turn up from that ye?
    Either way, none of those frame rates are classified as playable, 25 minimum is playable.

As for those tests, AA is not good for AMD, whereas Thermals and Power Consumption are Nvidias extreme low points. Kudos to EVGA but they're polishing a very hot running, power hungry turd really.

LOL

I'd say that's not too bad considering AMD's hardwares been out for just about a year with revisions to come soon.

EDIT: inb4 AMD fanboy qq

Quote Originally Posted by thomolithic View Post
    Tell you what, we'll do 6 screen eyefinity next and see what ridiculous results turn up from that ye?
    Either way, none of those frame rates are classified as playable, 25 minimum is playable.
    Gratz on failing reading comprehension. The benchmark's purpose was to put maximum possible settings on all games that worked on all cards, including AA modes, just to see what's the minimum FPS you can get.

It would be stupid to test the games with 800x600 resolution and all effects to minimum and compare between 600 and 700 fps when it has no relevance to real world. Of course in the test setup they used the Stalker in, normal gamers would either drop the details until it's playable or add another card in SLI/Crossfire.

As for those tests, AA is not good for AMD, whereas Thermals and Power Consumption are Nvidias extreme low points. Kudos to EVGA but they're polishing a very hot running, power hungry turd really.
    Fastest card is fastest card, only in fantasy world the laws of logic might give different outcome.

BTW... The test you linked... Is ancient. It came out before Nvidia fixed their drivers and 470/480 gained another 20-40% FPS. None of the benchmarks before June bear any kind of resemblance to today's situation. Nvidia fixed the shit in their drivers, and showed once and for all that Fermi cards were not a mistake.

---------- Post added 2010-09-03 at 11:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdarkness View Post
    Furthermore, you say it is cheaper but you don't factor the additional cost of all the watercooling equipment you need as well.
    People who are silly enough to buy Sapphire Toxic, Asus Ares or EVGA GTX 480 Hydro Copper are 99% certainly running water cooling for CPU and most likely for DDR sticks too. There will be practically zero extra cost to add the GPU into the system. In the theoretical situation where you do not have water coooling system in place, building it for the GTX480 alone will pretty much match the price to the overclocked 5970's and it will still be faster regardless.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    OP is asking about a 5770 and a 460, and you are bitching about a 480 and 5970. Good job.

If you only play WoW the 460 isn't better at all, but the 460 is alot better for GPU bound games.

Quote Originally Posted by Snotcore View Post
    OP is asking about a 5770 and a 460, and you are bitching about a 480 and 5970. Good job.

If you only play WoW the 460 isn't better at all, but the 460 is alot better for GPU bound games.
    The OP got an answer yesterday already, now we're just clearing out misinformation and disinformation from the thread.

Also buying Radeon5770 instead of GTX460 is dumb move at the moment if you consider future proofing. The GTX460 is significantly better for all other games, and current Cataclysm beta has already some DX11 optimizations. Therefore buying a card that does better in DX11 tricks is highly recommended considering the relatively small price difference. WoW will get more DX11 stuff in the future and might become properly GPU optimized in year or two.

Radeon 5770 is better choice if and only if money is really tight, and in that case downgrading to 5750/5670 for WoW might be even better move.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhonmarstonn View Post
    Hello there! i was going to buy a ATI Readon 5770 graphic card, then i was told from my friend that Nividia 460 gtx can overcome the 5770 with just 50-40 euros of price difference.

So can you tell if its worth spending that 50-60 euros more and buy a 460? if its not then 5770 is enough for cata? my ram and cpu are fine if u ask

Sorry for english not my frist language
    If you have a little more patience, then you can soon (1 month ? 2 ?) buy the new ATI product, not sure if it will be named 6770, but as a 5770 user I would highly recommend it (silent, low power usuage, good performance)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    If you have a little more patience, then you can soon (1 month ? 2 ?) buy the new ATI product, not sure if it will be named 6770, but as a 5770 user I would highly recommend it (silent, low power usuage, good performance)
    The earliest of the 6000 series is slated for Q4 2010, so most likely November-ish to capture Christmas sales. The Q4 2010 6000 series cards are hardly going to be worth it. If you're going to wait to get an ATi 6000 series card, wait for the ones coming out Q1 2011, which will be actual competition for nVidia.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    The earliest of the 6000 series is slated for Q4 2010, so most likely November-ish to capture Christmas sales. The Q4 2010 6000 series cards are hardly going to be worth it. If you're going to wait to get an ATi 6000 series card, wait for the ones coming out Q1 2011, which will be actual competition for nVidia.
    the 6870 that has been tested and are coming in oct/nov is realy worth the wait. atm. it is kicking the nvidia gtx cards ass. so there are defently worth the wait

the ones coming Q1 2011 are the duel gpu cards and and the low/mid-ranges cards

Alleged ATI Radeon HD 6870 3DMark Vantage Benchmark leaked
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    the 6870 that has been tested and are coming in oct/nov is realy worth the wait. atm. it is kicking the nvidia gtx cards ass. so there are defently worth the wait

the ones coming Q1 2011 are the duel gpu cards and and the low/mid-ranges cards

Alleged ATI Radeon HD 6870 3DMark Vantage Benchmark leaked
    Hmm, I wonder if ATi bumped up their release schedule then. The last I'd heard, the 6000 series cards coming Q4 2010 were fairly low end.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    i think they are doing it to get back on top of the GPU races with the fastes card.

but if it was me i would defently put out the low/midranges cards first or at the same time, because it is thoese cards that sells the most
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    Well, considering AMD launched with the 5850/5870, then it's not such a bad move for them considering they're currently a year ahead of Nvidia so they've kinda got a lot of time on their side right now :P
    Also AMD are now commanding the majority of the discreet gfx market after a couple of years playing catch up so they're making the most of it.
    Last edited by mmoc18c6ab442b; 2010-09-03 at 06:29 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, considering AMD launched with the 5850/5870, then it's not such a bad move for them considering they're currently a year ahead of Nvidia so they've kinda got a lot of time on their side right now :P
    Also AMD are now commanding the majority of the discreet gfx market after a couple of years playing catch up so they're making the most of it.
    AMD is hardly ahead right now in capability. I don't know sales numbers (and you quoted none), so I can't say anything about market share, but in capability it's the same game of leapfrog that they're been doing for years. "I'm ahead. No wait, you're ahead. No wait, I'm ahead!"

Lol and Intel is still ahead in sales by far to either Nvidia or AMD.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    Lol and Intel is still ahead in sales by far to either Nvidia or AMD.
    Intel makes discrete graphics cards?

......total market.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    It depends. In WoW currently, the 4870 will usually slightly outperform the 5770 slightly. In Cataclysm, the DX11 performance improvements should have the 5770 outperform the 4870 overall.

Outside of WoW, the 4870 should be just slightly ahead of the 5770.
    Even lets say using a 1920x1080 res . I doubt it.

On topic. Currently im still with a 8800gt... but its been months i have my eyes on some 5770 specially the Vapor X , cool , efficient . Basically dont pick very powerful , big cards , too much noise , heat and as a consequence they will live 1-2 years less.

wow i just feel like typing something because everyone else is typing something, soo go out there and buy a graphics card!! do it!!

I personally use an EVGA GTX 465 (Nvidia, which I prefer) but I think the 460 is more effieient, but nonetheless I am happy with my purchase for the price I paid an d it runs Warcrack and Starcrack on max settings smoothly until things get really overpopluated but especially with the rest of my system being crappier than the card its understandable. Anyways, I would say the 460 is pretty much the best bang for your buck atm, it will definetely last you a few years anyways. There is no reason to dump money on the newest aka 'best' and most expensive cards IMO unless you have money to piss away or are a very very serious gamer and compete and sorts. The stuff thats half of the price delievers 90% of the performance anyways.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXCAVALERA View Post
    Even lets say using a 1920x1080 res . I doubt it.

On topic. Currently im still with a 8800gt... but its been months i have my eyes on some 5770 specially the Vapor X , cool , efficient . Basically dont pick very powerful , big cards , too much noise , heat and as a consequence they will live 1-2 years less.
    I don't know why you keep posting that the GTX 460 is louder and hotter than the 5770. You've been corrected every time. There's also no reason a 5770 would last any longer than a GTX 460.

28% GPU usage... Yarp, really hard going on the GPU that is. (4870 1gb)

- Although, it admitedly does work harder in heroics / raids
    Last edited by Yohassakura; 2010-09-04 at 01:58 PM.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|