Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Bane of Havoc Questions

Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyway.

Build after build have come to the Beta and I have seen my beloved Warlocks blossom into an (arguably) complete class. I'm liking the new demon changes and hoping to see Succy and Voidwalker gets some more lovin'.

However, I don't seem to grasp the concept or execution of Destruction's Bane of Havoc. Is it just gimpy cleave, or is it placeable on your primary target in lieu of Doom/Agony? If so, why is it so hopelessly bland? I mean, increased damage and all, hooray, but shouldn't it DO something? Isn't its inclusion into the Banes meant to signify that it isn't just a utility, but rather an active ability?

Given that my spec preference is Demo>Destro>Aff I'm interested in this spell.

TL;DR: Bane of Havoc, wat do?

Bane of Havoc is a weak cleave spell

Put it on Boss where adds spawn so when u switch to adds u wont lose so much dps

atm 15% isnt that much and in my eyes its weak for PvP (maybe if they buff it to 30% or higher)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read somewhere (don't remember, but I know it wasn't a blue) that if you, say, were to stick it on Onyxia while switching to AoE whelps, it would be beneficial. So far that's the only use I can see for it.
    While Beacon may be a tad overtuned at 50% on live, 15% just feels... Ineffectual. I hope they make it Destro's go-to Bane so that each spec has its own trademark. I would like that.

Bane of Havoc (BoH) is hardly weak, and OP is anything. It's still in the beta process but i will assume the following as it currently is. 1 bane per target, BoH has no CD. BoH multiple targets, watch as BoH feeds endlessly off of it'self.

I doubt damage from BoH will be able to cause damage to other BoH targets nor do i suspect we will be able to use it on more than 1 mob. Nonetheless, BoH is a 15% dps increase with 2 mobs. It's far from a weak cleave. Not every situation with more than 1 mob calls for Aoe. A destro lock can remain focused on single target while getting an extra 15% damage. Assuming locks will be on par with other class since this clearly is not for only 1 target, BoH is strong unless im reading something wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it actually feeds off itself? That's interesting, but I doubt it will ever make live.
    It also seems I read it wrong and that currently it can be placed on multiple targets. I suppose that gives it some redeeming value. Yet still, I find it mildly... Uninspired. I wish I could say more than that. Wonderful feedback, I know. It's just a flavorless spell.

Thank you though, Sorx, for the ideas.

Deleted
    Its a pretty cool bane imo. From the wowhead comments it also seems like you can simply put it on the target you're nuking and get an extra 15% dmg.

Well from what i have looked at you can have BoH, and COE on a Mob right? If that is so then you are getting a 23% Dmg buff to that target. Imo that is not bad at all, but we will just have to see when Cat comes out for the final #'s XD

i don't thing you can benefit from BoH on your current target

"Shrug" XD idk i have not played Cat yet still looking around for a key. But maybe one of them awesome dudes on the Beta can put some in site to this XD.

Deleted
    Testing shows that BoH works if you DPS the afflicted target.
    http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=80240/bane-of-havoc

why is a 15% dmg bane so hard to imagine? its not like they will balance destro without it and then just add flat 15%,
    BoD will ptobably do about the same with the talents in demo.

U can have Bane of Havoc on only 1 target at all times , no multi targeting

It works as a weak cleave spell , 15% "cleave" damage is hardly a strong or good when comparing to other "Cleave " spells

And no Bane of Havoc is not a 15% damage increase >.>

EDIT: If u dps the target u have Bane of Havoc on , no 15% cleave damage is aplied only if u dps other target , whats so hard to understand so pls dont post things like 15+8= 23% damage increase to target etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Bane of Havoc is intend to boost your trash AoE killing ...

Imagine the damage you are doing in ICC trash with CoD to be dealt to one mob ...even if its 15% ..it will be insane

as for PvP .... doing damage to two targets at once is still imba .... even if its 15%

15% damage is huge when one things that they can place it on lich king in todays combat and be dealing damage to him while dpsing adds in the fight. Hell, even using it on LK and spamming seed of corruption on the vile spirits would probably be a dps increase due to all the aoe.

Umm "cheers for Aoe Dmg?" Lol it might be bad ass but unless the put alot more bosses with like a Add's the hole fight not much use for it in PVE other then trash "OMGAOEDMGPWNPEWPEWNESS". PVP Ya with BGs coming back i can see it working there, always a zerg at a base XD.

Well, ICC isnt a Cataclysm raid so how bane of havoc would perform in ICC isnt really a good argument, for starters, Come cataclysm AoE damage will be nerfed

as for PvP .... doing damage to two targets at once is still imba .... even if its 15%
    You fail pretty hard on beeing a warlock if you only dps one target at a time ever.

---------- Post added 2010-09-07 at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    U can have Bane of Havoc on only 1 target at all times , no multi targeting

It works as a weak cleave spell , 15% "cleave" damage is hardly a strong or good when comparing to other "Cleave " spells

And no Bane of Havoc is not a 15% damage increase >.>

EDIT: If u dps the target u have Bane of Havoc on , no 15% cleave damage is aplied only if u dps other target , whats so hard to understand so pls dont post things like 15+8= 23% damage increase to target etc etc
    Except the small fact that on beta right now it DOES do 15% extra damage when nuking the baned target.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems right now that destro will still be using agony/doom for our main targets (which is disappointing to say the least) and only doing havoc for off targets or on the boss when dpsing multiple adds so as to still be doing some damage to the main target... basically its to aid target swapping like soul swap does for affliction... I too was hoping that havoc would be the main bane spell for destro and that each spec would have one bane it usually used (like how demo benefits from doom more than agony) but apparently that isnt the case... time will tell though as its beta and things can change...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorchHellfire View Post
    It seems right now that destro will still be using agony/doom for our main targets (which is disappointing to say the least) and only doing havoc for off targets or on the boss when dpsing multiple adds so as to still be doing some damage to the main target... basically its to aid target swapping like soul swap does for affliction... I too was hoping that havoc would be the main bane spell for destro and that each spec would have one bane it usually used (like how demo benefits from doom more than agony) but apparently that isnt the case... time will tell though as its beta and things can change...
    Why wouldn't it be the main dps bane? Its a flat 15% dps increase. I fail to see how doom or agony can beat that.

It is my assumption that the dps increase on the single target is not an intended effect, otherwise there becomes little point in actually applying it to anything else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Havoc affecting dps to the target you have it on is a bug.

Havoc exists because destro suffers immensely from target switches. If you conflag a target that is about to die, you lose the conflag dot damage. Same with Immolate as a pre-req for decent chaos bolt and incinerate damage. Havoc fixes this.

Note: good players would just keep immolate on the main target and conflag that one, which is another problem to solve - they want you to target switch, which is why this ability and soul swap (although currently a bad idea) exist.

R.I.P. YARG