Thread: Ignite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Munching:
    Big pyroblast crit, ignite DoT ticking for 1,000 every second
    You land a fireball crit, big ignite from pyroblast now replaced by new fireball ignite for 500 every second

^ this was the problem.
    However some time ago this mechanic was changed for ignite, deep wounds, piercing shots etc.
    Nowadays, it goes like this. (assuming an ignite proc lasts 4 seconds)

0 seconds: Pyroblast lands
    1 seconds: Ignite ticks for 1,000.
    2 seconds: Ignite ticks for 1,000. Fireball lands on mob now and adds to the ignite effect
    3 seconds: Ignite ticks for 1,500. (Pyroblast + fireblall)
    4 seconds: Ignite ticks for 1,500.
    5 seconds: Ignite ticks for 500. (Ignite from pyroblast has worn off. Only ignite remaining now is from fireball)
    6 seconds: Ignite ticks for 500.
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Duke View Post
    Munching:
    Big pyroblast crit, ignite DoT ticking for 1,000 every second
    You land a fireball crit, big ignite from pyroblast now replaced by new fireball ignite for 500 every second

^ this was the problem.
    However some time ago this mechanic was changed for ignite, deep wounds, piercing shots etc.
    Nowadays, it goes like this. (assuming an ignite proc lasts 4 seconds)

0 seconds: Pyroblast lands
    1 seconds: Ignite ticks for 1,000.
    2 seconds: Ignite ticks for 1,000. Fireball lands on mob now and adds to the ignite effect
    3 seconds: Ignite ticks for 1,500. (Pyroblast + fireblall)
    4 seconds: Ignite ticks for 1,500.
    5 seconds: Ignite ticks for 500. (Ignite from pyroblast has worn off. Only ignite remaining now is from fireball)
    6 seconds: Ignite ticks for 500.
    Hmm ye, seems most logical, I suppose its simmalair with other simmalair talents ?
    IGN Joe FC: 1908 - 0405 - 5213

Quote Originally Posted by dracco4heads View Post
    Hmm ye, seems most logical, I suppose its simmalair with other simmalair talents ?

actually it's like this:

It ticks every 2 seconds for a total of 4 secons.

0sec-->Fireball-->10k (4k ignite)
    2 sec--> 2k ignite
    2.2sec--->fireball 10k (4k ignite)
    4.2 sec-->3k ignite (2k tick from last FB + 1k=half of the remaining dmg from 1st FB)
    4.4sec-->Fireball 5k (non crit=no ignite)
    6.2sec-->3k ignite tick

assuming 2.2 sec cast time on FB, 10k crit, 5k non-crit.

Essentially if u keep refreshing by critting it it will never tick, but the damage will store itself till u finnaly dont crit 2 spells in a row an let 2 monster ticks get off. Thus it will ALLWAIS do 40% of your total crits as a damage (save for simultanious crits from FB/Pyro Swizzle pointed out, and non ticked damage remaining afteer boss death), difference only being when the ticks will occur which depends on your crit streaks and cast time of FB.

TLDR: it does not ''munch'', and it does not increase your dps longer the fight lasts assuming 100% crit. It ALWAIS does 40% of crit damage, with ticks being postponed and enlarged by consecutive crits.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazaad View Post
    simultanious crits from FB/Pyro Swizzle pointed out
    it does not ''munch''

One of the crits sometimes being ignored in the case of simultaneous crits is exactly what the term "munching" refers to these days.

Most ignite munching is caused by a Fireball or Pyroblast crit landing the exact moment a Living Bomb tick also crits, which in the worst case results in your ~5k DoT crit coughing up ~2k ignite damage while your 20k-damage-or-higher Pyroblast doesn't proc it. It's fairly uncommon, and there's not anything you can do about it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazaad View Post
    actually it's like this:

It ticks every 2 seconds for a total of 4 secons.

0sec-->Fireball-->10k (4k ignite)
    2 sec--> 2k ignite
    2.2sec--->fireball 10k (4k ignite)
    4.2 sec-->3k ignite (2k tick from last FB + 1k=half of the remaining dmg from 1st FB)
    4.4sec-->Fireball 5k (non crit=no ignite)
    6.2sec-->3k ignite tick

assuming 2.2 sec cast time on FB, 10k crit, 5k non-crit.

Essentially if u keep refreshing by critting it it will never tick, but the damage will store itself till u finnaly dont crit 2 spells in a row an let 2 monster ticks get off. Thus it will ALLWAIS do 40% of your total crits as a damage (save for simultanious crits from FB/Pyro Swizzle pointed out, and non ticked damage remaining afteer boss death), difference only being when the ticks will occur which depends on your crit streaks and cast time of FB.

TLDR: it does not ''munch'', and it does not increase your dps longer the fight lasts assuming 100% crit. It ALWAIS does 40% of crit damage, with ticks being postponed and enlarged by consecutive crits.
    A bit wrong:

0.0 - 10k Fireball crit -> 2x 2k Ignite
    2.0 - 2k Ignite tick
    2.2 - 10k Fireball crit -> 2x 2k Ignite in addition to existing Ignite
    4.2 - 4k Ignite tick (2k from 1st Fireball, 2k from 2nd)
    6.2 - 2k Ignite tick (2k from 2nd Fireball, Ignite from 1st already ticked twice, thus has expired)
    Quote Originally Posted by Posokhov
    That was some of the most incoherent rambling I've ever seen. It was like, "I like ponies but I saw a rainbow, and one day I bought a shoe because I like the smell of pancakes. Have you ever eaten pancakes? I was in a chair until I fell because I had a cat three years ago until I found an encyclopedia because it was green like turtles."
    Mah armory!

Quote Originally Posted by Koumaru View Post
    One of the crits sometimes being ignored in the case of simultaneous crits is exactly what the term "munching" refers to these days.
    I know that is what 'munching' refers to nowdays, but it's not 'munching' OP was asking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elge
    A bit wrong:

0.0 - 10k Fireball crit -> 2x 2k Ignite
    2.0 - 2k Ignite tick
    2.2 - 10k Fireball crit -> 2x 2k Ignite in addition to existing Ignite
    4.2 - 4k Ignite tick (2k from 1st Fireball, 2k from 2nd)
    6.2 - 2k Ignite tick (2k from 2nd Fireball, Ignite from 1st already ticked twice, thus has expired)
    Actualy I think my version is correct, and yours is not: Each new ignite adds up to remaining damage of previous ones and ticks 2 times. If it was as you described you would never see huge ignite ticks you often doo, because each single tick would alwais be a result of maximum of 2 consecutive FB crits, and could not sum to numbers it does now on live.

And then again, its late, I'm sleepy, and i might be totally wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Khazaad is correct, the last two ticks of an Ignite are always the same damage +/-1 for rounding.

Let's say you cast 3 critting fire spells for X, Y and Z damage. Between each of these spells you get an Ignite tick before you crit again.

Crit for X
    Tick for 0.2X
    Crit for Y
    Tick for 0.2Y + 0.2X/2 (0.2Y + 0.1X)
    Crit for Z
    Tick for 0.2Z + 0.2Y/2 + 0.2X/2/2 (0.2Z + 0.1Y + 0.05X)
    Tick for 0.2Z + 0.2Y/2 + 0.2X/2/2 (0.2Z + 0.1Y + 0.05X)

Total Ignite damage: 0.2X+0.1X+0.05X+0.05X+0.2Y+0.1Y+0.1Y+0.2Z+0.2Z = 0.4X+0.4Y+0.4Z, as intended.

And if you don't believe that the last two ticks are always the same, why don't you just nuke a dummy with Combustion and wait to see it yourself?

Wrote an elaborate Ignite guide on EU mage forums too: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....05623381&sid=1

And yeah, the WoWWiki page explains it well too.

Strange, differs from my observations ingame... but these observations come from raiding, I'm not paying much attention to how big my Ignite ticks are (except for the really big ones)
    Quote Originally Posted by Posokhov
    That was some of the most incoherent rambling I've ever seen. It was like, "I like ponies but I saw a rainbow, and one day I bought a shoe because I like the smell of pancakes. Have you ever eaten pancakes? I was in a chair until I fell because I had a cat three years ago until I found an encyclopedia because it was green like turtles."
    Mah armory!