Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Well this sucks... [blue post]

Over the years, in the midst of great and cool changes to WoW, there have always been changes I don't agree with and hated, and blue posts stating Blizzard's idea of what to do with their game that I didn't like or agree with, but none of those has ever made me as sad and angry as this one I just read today...

We like customization and flavor items, but we don't want to start implementing aesthetic items in the game which allow players to look however they want while keeping all the stats they want.

I think that sucks! Every person you see in game right now (max level) is running around in T10 or T9 or a mix. That all look like they rolled off the assembly line. Very cookie cutter. No one's avatar really stands out as a unique representation of what that person wants their character to be.
    And for Blizzard to say that ^ statement above, well it just makes me sad.
    I think reforging would have been a GREAT start at addressing this problem, but no.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    Over the years, in the midst of great and cool changes to WoW, there have always been changes I don't agree with and hated, and blue posts stating Blizzard's idea of what to do with their game that I didn't like or agree with, but none of those has ever made me as sad and angry as this one I just read today...

We like customization and flavor items, but we don't want to start implementing aesthetic items in the game which allow players to look however they want while keeping all the stats they want.

I think that sucks! Every person you see in game right now (max level) is running around in T10 or T9 or a mix. That all look like they rolled off the assembly line. Very cookie cutter. No one's avatar really stands out as a unique representation of what that person wants their character to be.
    And for Blizzard to say that ^ statement above, well it just makes me sad.
    I think reforging would have been a GREAT start at addressing this problem, but no.
    Go play Aion then. I hope to god they don't waste their time to script armor reskinning.

Deleted
    It annoys me too actually. I liked the idea of one day being able to have 'vanity' items.

But let's look at the reality of it. Gear is for stats. Not looks. If you want some pretty gear to wear to make yourself stand out, do what I do and collect up some nice looking gear from old raids or what have you. I've done many retro-raids recently and collected up a bit of gear from it and the other day I tried to see what bits looked nice together. And I actually made a nice set out of what I had and a few more things I bought from the AH. I have some nice 'vanity' gear now for when I'm sitting around in Dalaran, waiting for my raids or just doing nothing at all.

Yes, T9 and T10 are very common sets to see at the moment. But in my opinion, there's nothing really wrong with it. The more T10 pieces you have, the more you automatically seem to stand out as a 'good' player. Whenever I see other hunters go by in their T10, I can see straight away, and I tend to check them out just to see what their gemming, enchants and gear are like. In my head, T10 = ICC = An advanced player. So for that reason, I don't mind the common-looking tier sets.
    Last edited by mmocc5c312fa0d; 2010-09-09 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whysomadbrah View Post
    Go play Aion then. I hope to god they don't waste their time to script armor reskinning.
    o_O

OT:

I actualy think they should add cosmetic effects but in lesser form.
    Overcloak with graphics of factions(think Argent vendor tabards) should be enough for start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoogles
    Thread: F**k y*u blizzard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    Flavor of the month spec swappers have turned out to be worse on average than players that specialize in one spec.

Cause its so much work to use graphics already in the game right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's assume they did have customization to x degree; I think you'd just wind up seeing most people in whatever the most popular "skin" that would be available. You'll notice very few sets are black in color...heck, are any? Because let's face it, almost everybody would wear nothing but black if it was available in mass quantity.

I did like the idea of the cosmetic cloak, and I was hoping that it could be added in akin to tabards, but in-game cloaks are really capes, and I usually have mine hidden, so maybe in the end that doesn't matter too much either.

I am happy with some of the beta cloth helms so far; I imagine some of it is placeholder art, but they have the air of a vizier to them. I haven't liked any of the cloth helm designs in BC or LK (except that one BC blue that made you look like you were wearing a demon skull), so it is a refreshing change.

yeah i was really disappointed when i read this

I never had a desire to have reforging affect visual appearance of an item. <.<

You'd just have a bunch of paladins rolling around in Judgment or changing the skin of their armor to something darker... Anything but dark green and orange...

3DS FC: 1821-9540-3146
    Electric Safari: Manectric, Pikachu and Emolga. Looking for other friend codes for safari.
    Pre-Ordered Alpha Sapphire

well personally i rly dont care about todays post as i think they are right about this decision. i think that if these overcloaks where implemented they would change some of the todays aspects of pvp. it may have been one step to remove some of the strategic choices of how to deal with ur opponent.
    however it would be neet if they could implement different customization which wouldnt have any impact on gameplay.

you may not realize this but they have wasted their time doing a little of this already

I am the Warrior. Death is my business. Be it yours...or mine.

Yes this was devastatingly disappointing. I don't see why Blizzard would veer away from one of the best ideas ever conceived in regards to character customization.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like the ability to change the entire colour set. If you could choose different colours for your Red, Green and Blue tints. That would bring a lot more variety to the game's armour. It would also result in people simply choosing a pure black / white design.

Which is REALLY saddening because this is exactly what most of the player base wants to see in their character customization.

Quote Originally Posted by goneloco View Post
    well personally i rly dont care about todays post as i think they are right about this decision. i think that if these overcloaks where implemented they would change some of the todays aspects of pvp. it may have been one step to remove some of the strategic choices of how to deal with ur opponent.
    however it would be neet if they could implement different customization which wouldnt have any impact on gameplay.
    Hang on. How does a the ability to change to look of a cloak have any impact on how you beat someone in pvp?

When was the last time you said "oh he's using what looks like a winding sheet, he's probably in full pve gear"?

If they allowed ENTIRE reforging of looks, yes, but simple things like cloaks really make no impact, and are just there to enhance your view of your character.

If you have it on, the cloak is the thing you see the most of while playing, especially as melee. Being able to change it to suit yourself would be a very good addition.

If you dont want to do it - don't. The general consensus of people i've spoken to so far is they'd like to be able to at least have overcloaks, even if we dont get full customisation, because it's a bit much to have a complete reskin.

10+ Year Old Account
    hrm pls explain...i am missing how these overcloaks would affect pvp if they were implemented as originally intended.

OT: yeah its a bit of a buzzkill but imo the blue post actually hints they may be looking into some other ways to customize appearance a bit. I could be wrong about that...coffee is still brewing.
    "Brevity is...wit"

well personally i rly dont care about todays post as i think they are right about this decision. i think that if these overcloaks where implemented they would change some of the todays aspects of pvp.

I'm sorry, but it sounded as though you just said you make decisions in PvP based on what graphic you see on the cloak of the enemy. if that is true, which i highly doubt, what the hell do you do when someone has their cloak graphic disabled? god forbid their helmet is off too, that would totally screw you over. i guess blizzard needs to remove the ability to turn off your cloak and helmet, because it might affect how someone fights you in pvp.

Deleted
    "Because let's face it, almost everybody would wear nothing but black"

I'd wear purple, because it's better

Even if they DID allow an entire reforging of looks, I got an idea for an easy fix:

Make your gear's "true" appearance always display for the opposite faction.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've never once noticed what other toons look like. I play zoomed all the way out. I never pay attention to whether people look the same or different. And the only time I see my toon in detailmis at char section screen. Not an issue with me if they allow more or less visual customization.
    I'm so out of this world, I make telescopes squint.
    -=702 Gamer=-

Quote Originally Posted by purplefox89 View Post
    "Because let's face it, almost everybody would wear nothing but black"

I'd wear purple, because it's better
    I'd wear red with just a touch of black and gold.