Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    And honestly I don't understand why.
    Because nobody at blizzard agrees with you.

I must be in the minority. I don't care about any new character customization. I think the gear and the customization available now is fine.

Honestly? I can just put on some old gear and run around and look silly. I actually still have Whitemane's Chapeau which I do randoms in from time to time. Always amusing.

But generally? If you're out in battle, are you going to choose something pretty, or something that will give you more strength or protection or whatever? Battle isn't about looking cool, it's about being strong.

I'd rather see more customization on the character themselves. More Hairstyles, faces, skin tones ... I'd also like to see a variation in size, small, med, large versions of each race, and if possible a way to add weight, within a degree. Maybe allow for several models for the same race, I'd love to have the bulky troll model for my Shaman ...

Gear is gear really ... they just need to make and use more models instead of just using recolors for everything within a tier ... Armor Sets should have a unique look separate from the standard drops as well.
    REAL ID was merely a setback!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    Over the years, in the midst of great and cool changes to WoW, there have always been changes I don't agree with and hated, and blue posts stating Blizzard's idea of what to do with their game that I didn't like or agree with, but none of those has ever made me as sad and angry as this one I just read today...

We like customization and flavor items, but we don't want to start implementing aesthetic items in the game which allow players to look however they want while keeping all the stats they want.

I think that sucks! Every person you see in game right now (max level) is running around in T10 or T9 or a mix. That all look like they rolled off the assembly line. Very cookie cutter. No one's avatar really stands out as a unique representation of what that person wants their character to be.
    And for Blizzard to say that ^ statement above, well it just makes me sad.
    I think reforging would have been a GREAT start at addressing this problem, but no.

Wait for Cata to come out it will fix it

10+ Year Old Account
    Over the years, in the midst of great and cool changes to WoW, there have always been changes I don't agree with and hated, and blue posts stating Blizzard's idea of what to do with their game that I didn't like or agree with, but none of those has ever made me as sad and angry as this one I just read today...

We like customization and flavor items, but we don't want to start implementing aesthetic items in the game which allow players to look however they want while keeping all the stats they want.

I think that sucks! Every person you see in game right now (max level) is running around in T10 or T9 or a mix. That all look like they rolled off the assembly line. Very cookie cutter. No one's avatar really stands out as a unique representation of what that person wants their character to be.
    I think reforging would have been a GREAT start at addressing this problem, but no.
    i think it would be great if blizz would have alternate character slots for appearence armor like eq2, then they can sell apearence armor at the blizz store, problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Vorack View Post
    Yes this was devastatingly disappointing. I don't see why Blizzard would veer away from one of the best ideas ever conceived in regards to character customization.
    This. I was pretty excited about the Sen'jin cloak, let alone all of the other ones they were going to put in. I'm rather sad now. More customization isn't something we NEED, but it's still very important to a large number of their players.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soyuz View Post
    Quick question. What stops you from farming lower level items and wearing those when not in a dungeon/raid/(daily)quest/farmrun?
    Exactly what I said on the first page, I'm glad someone else thinks so too.

I would rather see them spend time on encounter design, and well itemized gear than giving the option to reskin gear.

I could honestly not care less what the pixels look like, and if i did, i would have a separate RP set for when i wanted to feel like a special snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitans View Post
    I would rather see them spend time on encounter design, and well itemized gear than giving the option to reskin gear.

I could honestly not care less what the pixels look like, and if i did, i would have a separate RP set for when i wanted to feel like a special snowflake.

I agree, just like what i posted on the last page.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shwamylama View Post
    i think it would be great if blizz would have alternate character slots for appearence armor like eq2, then they can sell apearence armor at the blizz store, problem solved
    No, just no. The last thing we need this game to become is a P2P version of MapleStory.

Although it would be nice if we got Underwear customization for a change. I want Varian on white granny panties on my Warrior!
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    I want Varian on white granny panties on my Warrior!
    Best idea on this thread yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoyll View Post
    Best idea on this thread yet.
    I can up myself on that! Tirion on a bra on my Paladin!

Besides, I'd expect a lot of guys wanting WoW's hotties like Sylvanas and Jaina on an undershirt to secretly confess their fanboish love for them.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2010-09-09 at 09:09 PM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just fine with tabards.

I agree with you 100%. This seems like backwards thinking by Blizzard in my opinion. Their goal should be to make the game as customizable within the game rules as possible so people all feel like individuals. So our avatars in-game truly feel like "our" avatars.

I'm not going to say I'm enraged by this, but it's just another reflection of Blizzard's narrow-sightedness and one reason I'm looking forward to the next batch of MMOs with fresh ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitans View Post

Quit the crap about "time wastng" already, the system is already designed and tested.. they could add it in just right now.

And i indeed would love blizzard to take another look at their reasons not to do this.. since i find it rediculous. No i don't think everybody will go black or white. Atleast i wouldn't. And whenever i pvp (its rare but it happens) i will never ever bother to look at someones appereance imo.

This is exactly the kind of feature that sounds like it would be great and "so easy to implement" but hasn't even been remotely thought through by all you people who are clamoring for it.

There are tons of issues with this. Here are a few.

First, loading Dalaran is bad enough when a large number of 80's are wearing the same models. Imagine what will happen when every player is allowed to hand pick 12 slots of gear from the thousands and thousands of models available. The load times and memory requirements for populated areas goes through the roof.

Next, for all the props Blizzard will get for implementing this, the amount of whining on the forums is going to increase wildly. "I really love tier 1 but why is it so hard to farm?!!" Then, god forbid, Blizzard does something like they're doing in Cataclysm like closing the Zul'Gurub instance, thereby most likely rendering that raid gear unattainable. Enormous whining ensues because now those items are no longer available for "customization." And then there will be those who whine that only hardcore raiders get to look cool because presumably you can only customize with gear you have. The whiners will clamor for the ability to buy "cosmetic only versions" of heroic raid gear so they, too, can look like epic raiders, only without the skill.

Next, imagine all the whining that will occur every time a new content tier is released. "Oh these models suck because they're worse than my favorite tier!" Not only that, but now the developers are forced to make a decision. Should we bother devoting art resources to a new set of models that only a small percentage of players will favor over their existing cosmetic sets, or should we focus on other things? If they choose to focus on other things, then there'll be those who whine about model recyling.

Speaking of recycling, you whine about homogenization now - just wait until people are allowed to continue to wear the same set while upgrading their gear throughout the entire expansion. Even though you may prefer your previous tier's set to your current one, at least you're forced to stare at something new every couple of months, which keeps things fresh. Ultimately there will be a handful of sets that are picked because they're cooler than the others. This will help reduce the Dalaran load time issue but it's not going to fix the problem claimed by people today that "everybody is all in T10 lol and looks the same lol!"

Looting new gear, knowing that it changes the way you look, adds excitement to looting. I was stoked to get each piece of 277 because 277 is red and it looks much cooler than the light blue. If I had the ability to make my 251 T10's red from the start, that excitement is greatly diminished. I love hitting harder but I love looking better, too.

I also like the ability to immediately be able to assess the quality of someone's gear with my eyes instead of relying on an addon. I bet half of the people who are pro-costume are also anti-gearscore addon. Well guess what - that will be your only way, or the armory, of determining whether a person is in current tier, last tier, or no tier. When the entire world is wearing BWL Tier 2 gear because it looks bad-ass (well, maybe not druids....) you're basically blind.

Now imagine all the drama that's going to ensue as a result of looting for looks. Say goodbye to shards. Every single person is going to roll need or greed on every single piece of gear so they can accumulate tons and tons of options for their cosmetic sets. (At least half of these people will either immediately or later on DE the item themselves or vend it. But it's a good excuse). Now imagine the drama that results in costume hoarders not having enough bank space. Well, that's what alt guilds are for, right? I definitely want my servers' resources and database space devoted to the wardrobes of every M&S (and every elf) in the game, don't you?

Oh and also. "I'm a death knight but my character is really a samurai so he wears robes so I need this cloth." Or worse. "I'm a priest but I think the warrior set looks cool. WHY CANT I WEAR PLATE FOR MY COS SET? Why can't I roll need on plate for cos?!!! Why are there class restrictions on loot for cos slots? I want my shaman to wear hunter tier lawl, it's both mail rite?!?!222".

This is the kind of feature that once a first-stab is implemented people are going to keep asking for more and more. It's going to be an on-going drain on development time like, as many others here have suggested, is much better spent on actual content than appeasing the people who like to wear RP sets during raids.

Tec
    Last edited by TecPontificates; 2010-09-09 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Adendum

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree. It's ok that Blizzard doesn't want to let players look however they want while keeping all the stats they want, given that there'd inevitably be people who would, if they could, have their plate-gear look like cloth gear instead, but it's sad that there's absolutley no leeway with it.

Why can't they let players change the appearance of their gear within reason (as has been said elsewhere), such that you can only wear the (main or end-game?)type of armour for your class; plate-wearers can only change the appearance to other plate items, leather to leather etc... or at least let us change the colour of our gear somewhat.

I do have a bad feeling that we will see aesthetic gear customization options for a price, though.

In terms of gear appearance, one thing that I would really like to see is the 10% experience bonus items be turned into consumable items similar to Sons of Hodir shoulder enchants, etc. Meaning the 10% xp bonus can be put on any item in-game (limited to shoulders/chest or whatever). And for the sake of twinks or people who like the stats keep the actual gear in the game with the scaling stats however with the xp bonus removed. I think this is a very reasonable request and also gets more use out of the items that they had previously put in the game which generally get overlooked by people leveling alts.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If You ask me, I think that color changing to our items would be an awesome thing...

What I mean: now we have three color sets for our T10. Unfortunately all of aren't the same lvl/power. What if designers would design for example 5 color sets. You want red set - you pick up set A. You want Green one - You pick up set B etc. I think that would create some variety while keeping work of the designers still present in the game
    Now here we stand with their blood on our hands
    We fought so hard now can we understand

I would just like to see non tier items be a little bit more worth while, and not have the same skin as a tier.

Also like to see more BiS of seem item lvl. so you go with your preferrence (exp Haste Vs Mastery)