Poll: Cataclysm sales slow due to availability of content?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by lywyu View Post
    If you would've paid attention, you would've known that new race combos are available only if you purchase the expansion.
    Nope, all combinations will be free for everyone. I assume they don't want new players into thinking they must buy an expansion to unlock classes for certain races, making them thing it's an overpriced p2p game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

I'm guessin Cata will fly off the shelves, the servers will crach due to too many people trying to play, w
    Tbh, I doubt they'll crash, at least not for long. Blizzard has enough money to keep them going, and they'll especially want to keep 'em up on launch day.

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry dumb question, how is gear drop changing?
    The people who are hardcore wow enthusists are the ones who buy the stuff first day, and regardless those people are prob. gunna buy it first day.
    "I intend to live forever."

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    Blizzard makes it purposefuly slow to make you spend more time and pay more.
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

Deleted
    I don't think that sale rate will drop.
    Since if you don't buy expansion you can't play new races (goblin and/or worgen)
    And in other hand, playing WoW "alone" on 80 would be boring, wouldn't it?

And allot of ppl prefer raiding or pvping, and they will try to get the best gears they can, so.
    and i think old vanilla player are excited to play Kalimdor and Easter Kingdom once again? Am i right?

Quote Originally Posted by Aegithedas View Post
    sorry dumb question, how is gear drop changing?
    The people who are hardcore wow enthusists are the ones who buy the stuff first day, and regardless those people are prob. gunna buy it first day.
    That's a great question, and one I realized upon reading that "how gear drops" made no sense. I figured I wouldn't address it until someone brought it up, though :P

What I meant by that was that they were changing stat itemization on gear. How that translates into "how gear drops" is beyond me, but that's what I really meant
    Freakin' infraction points...how do they work?!

Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory View Post
    As with the expansions before it, Cataclysm will change many aspects of the game beyond just the 5 level addition to the cap. Talent trees are one example of something that has changed for EVERYONE, regardless of whether the expansion is purchased or not. With Cataclysm, the number of changes for even those with the original WoW game will be significantly higher - quest area revamps, both geographically and content-wise, new class/race combos, talent and ability changes as well as a modification of how gear drops. Granted, there are still things that will be exclusive to those that buy the expansion (goblins and worgen, their areas, and the 80-85 zones), but in this unique case this list is dwarfed compared to the content available to everyone.

So my question is this: do you think the fact that a large quantity of Cataclysm can be experienced without actually purchasing the expansion will put a damper on the usually high sales that WoW expansions have experienced during the first days of their release in the past? I think so.

I mean, I'll grant that a lot of people are going to want to play as goblin and worgen, and there are those who don't want to level again save for the next five levels. But to be honest, if you plan to reroll as a new race combination that's opening up, or if you intend to experience the leveling experience again (both key aspects of this expansion), you really don't NEED to buy it, and I think that'll make a lot of people hold off on buying the expansion on release day.
    I would've suggested the same thing a few months ago. However, listen to any of the major WoW podcasts like Blue Plz, WoW.com or The Instance they've all said that they've seen significant up ticks in the their listeners because of Cataclysm recently. The Instance guys also said that the majority of questions/town criers last week were Cataclysm related, which was surprising to them.

If I had to bet the over/under on Cataclysm breaking LK sales records, I would take the over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Nope, all combinations will be free for everyone. I assume they don't want new players into thinking they must buy an expansion to unlock classes for certain races, making them thing it's an overpriced p2p game.
    where did you read that?

Yeah people will get new quests and such but this is a big seller
    (We’ve added a new flying skill called Flight Master's License. When World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is released, players who purchase the expansion will see this skill available from flight trainers for 250 gold once they reach level 60. This new skill is required for flying around all Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms zones, including the new level 80-85 zones.)
    Source http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/26725...-flight-skill/

I did read your post, but I disagree with you OP, I actually think this will be the fastest selling expansion WoW ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

Quote Originally Posted by lywyu View Post
    If you would've paid attention, you would've known that new race combos are available only if you purchase the expansion.
    Not according to the live interview. o.0

Patch 3.9 and preparing for Cataclysm's release

Patch 3.9 will introduce the Cataclysm world event, which will begin taking place and culminate a few weeks before the expansion releases, with the Cataclysmic destruction actually taking place at that point.
    The new race / class combos and 1-60 content will be available before World of Warcraft: cataclysm launches.
    The servers will come down when the event culminates, and when they come back up you'll see the intro cinematic and all of the updated Azeroth will be available.
    Blizzard is still trying to decide whether Archaeology will come out before or when World of Warcraft: Cataclysm releases.
    80-85 content and the Goblin and Worgen races will not be available until release day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Deleted
    I suck at predicting... but I think cataclysm will beat previous fastest sales records by blizzard

people will probably persuade their friends to come back cause it's all so fresh and revamped
    and it's not like WotLK where all you got was a evil knight type new class
    we finally gonna get our goblin on horde and the furry, twilight and werewolf movie enthusiasts will get their own race.
    Battleground PvPers will be treated as equals.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sweepdeepsPL View Post
    Blizzard makes it purposefuly slow to make you spend more time and pay more.
    Its more players not playing until Cata...