PTR 4.0.1 % to play

This may just me being impatient, but I was wondering at what %, or how many gbs into the client can you then start the game. My client seems to be bugged as it says that the setup is 16gb, while the available(yellow) and playable(green) are 0 kb. Thanks!

Edit: Thanks for all the help. I feel like an idiot for missing a blue like that while searching online for help :P.
    Last edited by Althair; 2010-09-14 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Reason stated

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Althair View Post
    This may just me being impatient, but I was wondering at what %, or how many gbs into the client can you then start the game. My client seems to be bugged as it says that the setup is 16gb, while the available(yellow) and playable(green) are 0 kb. Thanks!
    as soon as it goes into stadge 2( yellow ) you can play. somethin like 7.25gb ish

you can play with as little as a couple hundred Mb downloaded but it is going to load slowly and youll do a lot of standing around waiting for areas to load heck even at 4gb download i have to wait around a bit

I've been doing my class testing with nothing but a couple hundred MB. Game runs just as smoothly as it does on live. I think it's fantastic. I really didn't want to download 16gb just to throw some spells at a target dummy.

Originally Posted by Nethaera (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Q. How much data is in each stage for a full Cataclysm installation?
    A. For users with medium to high bandwidth connections, about 5% of the data is red (required), about 70% of the data is yellow (base gameplay), and about 25% of the data is green (extended data). Users with low bandwidth connections should read the next question below.

Q. What if I have a low bandwidth connection?
    A. Users with connections below 1 MB/sec will be required to download all data before entering the game. (These users will see all of their data under the “Setup” stage of download.) Users with connections above 1 MB/sec will have the option of entering the game before all data has been downloaded and applied. Users at any bandwidth may exit the game and resume the download if they find the play experience undesirable.

Q. How is data assigned to each stage?
    A. Data is assigned to each stage based on the relative need for that data. Red is required to get into the game, yellow is data needed for base gameplay, and green is for variants of base game data (higher-resolution graphics, alternate sounds, other flavor data).
    Last edited by Emaluri; 2010-09-14 at 12:19 AM. Reason: learning something new daily;emphasis
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri (Blue Tracker)
    What you're experiencing is world PvP on a PvP realm. I realize that it's not for everyone, but it's not something that we plan to adjust. The harsh reality is that life on a PvP realm can be difficult, and if you aren't prepared for the rigors of playing on such a realm, then it's probably in your best interest to transfer to a normal realm, or, if you cannot afford that, then consider creating a new character on a normal realm.
    Grim Campfire

The above blue quote is WRONG

I'm only downloading at 100 kb but I've been able to play just fine. For me the Play button on the launcher is grayed out. But if you close the launcher, then go to the folder where the PTR is installed to, you can run WoW.exe and then the game will start.

Loading will take longer than normal. Also certain areas of the game will be blocked off, they will be given priority as the game is streaming. But the game is playable without having to wait for the whole thing to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post

I'm only downloading at 100 kb but I've been able to play just fine. For me the Play button on the launcher is grayed out. But if you close the launcher, then go to the folder where the PTR is installed to, you can run WoW.exe and then the game will start.

Loading will take longer than normal. Also certain areas of the game will be blocked off, they will be given priority as the game is streaming. But the game is playable without having to wait for the whole thing to finish.
    I see, thanks alot dude. You seem to be correct and i am able to play the game through the wow.exe.

Quote Originally Posted by Althair View Post
    I see, thanks alot dude. You seem to be correct and i am able to play the game through the wow.exe.
    I'm glad it worked for you. Blizzard really should let people know that they don't have to wait for the whole thing.

You do know that 1mb speed is equal to 100 kbps, this is how conversion rates work

The quote is INDEED TRUE. Except Blizzard meant connections higher than 1mbit connections, not that you literally download at 1000 kb/s.

1mbit connections normally download at 100-120 kb/s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    The quote is INDEED TRUE. Except Blizzard meant connections higher than 1mbit connections, not that you literally download at 1000 kb/s.

1mbit connections normally download at 100-120 kb/s.
    This is correct, I have a 20mbit connection, but download really inbetween 100-1mbs, and can ge ton just fine.

The issue still stands that the launcher Play button does gray out and become unclick-able. It was my assumption that it is based on one's connection speed. Going to the PTR folder and running Wow.exe is a work around.

Is there anybody with a connection speed faster than 1 meg that has the Play button grayed out?

Also is there anybody with a >1MB connection where they can't log in using Wow.exe?
    Last edited by Maxtro; 2010-09-14 at 12:59 AM.

my play button wasnt greyed out the first time i started the launcher but if i pop up the launcher now its grayed out