Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    this made the most sense to me

A.B. Replies: We can safely assume that music people pioneered the Tuesday release schedule. Book people never pioneer anything anymore--unless you count delusion, in which case James Frey and Kate O'Beirne certainly deserve some credit.

According to the many media experts I snagged for this question, Tuesdays are the most promising days for home-entertainment industries to release, say, 13 shiny new tracks from Toby Keith. Tuesdays are also the easiest days for data crunchers to begin tracking weekly sales of said stuff.

"It's quite simple, actually," states Mark Berman, of the trade magazine MediaWeek. "Since Monday is the day after the weekend, consumers are not at their height of awareness. And because Friday is the day before the weekend, consumers are preoccupied with other things. That leaves Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Since Tuesday comes first, it leaves Wednesday and Thursday open to actually buy [and track sales of] the product. So, Tuesday it is!"

A detailed, day-by-day explanation of this theory:

Mondays: Employed consumers are way too busy to shop. Bunches of forwarded emails about sleeping newborn pandas and kitty cats who dance, dance, dance have amassed in their inboxes. And then there are all those meetings about expediting deliverables.

Wednesdays: Rock deejays are too busy hooting about "hump day" to promote new tunes, making the middle of the week useless for the music industry.

Thursdays: This day is way too hectic for the music business, making CD releases unthinkable. Crusty blues singers are busy shooting a man in Memphis. Country session musicians are suffering their usual truck breakdowns in the Valley and calling their club promoters asking for rides.

Fridays: This day belongs to the movie industry. Nobody out here messes with Weinstein.

A music manager put it to me this way: "As I learned it, there had to be one specific day to level the playing field in reporting sales clearly--all the more important since the advent of Nielsen SoundScan. Tuesday was an arbitrary day selected to get the records in the stores early in the week but still allow a window for late shipments due to the prior weekend."

Occasionally, some company will get squirrelly and try to release a book or a CD on a Monday so that it can report higher weekly sales figures. According to another music insider, these companies are generally seen as scourges that need to be napalmed from the air.

"It's considered cheating," my insider says. "Dirty play."

Qq more plz, all games launch on tuesdays. Maybe your mommy can install it for you

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Killer View Post
    Ok. Does someone here understand why Blizzard wants to launch Cataclysm on TUESDAY !? Seriously , Tuesday = worst day of the week to launch something. People work Tuesday , people go at school Tuesday , people hate Tuesday. Sure you can miss work or school but not everyone can. Some players are hardcore and like to lvl fast or explore the content of the nex expansion very fast in the first days of its release. I mean , even for those who don't care and play slow , TUESDAY STILL SUCKS. High School students can miss 1 or 2 days of school , It's no big deal. What about the 90% players remaining ? Some people can't miss work and some of them are noob enough to take their vacations for the release. Still.. Tuesday is the worst day for this. It's not even close to the Weekend. MOVE IT TO FRIDAY !

Christ, did people just clue into the tuesday release schedule that has been like this for about a decade? duh.

Probably been said numerous times, but:
    DVDs, Games, CDs, and the like almost always come out on tuesdays. This is not new news.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazad View Post
    WOTLK was released on a tuesday buddy
    No it wasnt.

It was released on Thursday, November 13, 2008

Deleted
    This thread is getting REALLY repetitive and long since served any useful purpose. Its largely just ppl flaming the clueless.