Thread: Discipline

Discipline

Hey! Ill be leveling a priest in cata from 1-85, hell probably be my new main. I lvled 1-20 on the ptr as descipline and it was soo fun. I plan to be doing mostly raid content when i hit level cap. Is discipline a good tree to take for DPS? Or is it strictly PvP. Also on the ptr Disc did WAY more healing then holy. So im assuming there gonna fix that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disc is a healing tree. Shadow is the dps one.
    Leveling as disc is fun, but it will get slower towards Outland because of the lower dps than Shadow.

Inb4 Troll-picture

Sometimes I worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophrr View Post
    She can write a book about Druids! And call it... *sunglasses* ...'Eclipse'.
    YEEEAAAHHH

Quote Originally Posted by jbblaze View Post
    Hey! Ill be leveling a priest in cata from 1-85, hell probably be my new main. I lvled 1-20 on the ptr as descipline and it was soo fun. I plan to be doing mostly raid content when i hit level cap. Is discipline a good tree to take for DPS? Or is it strictly PvP. Also on the ptr Disc did WAY more healing then holy. So im assuming there gonna fix that.
    Disc may have done more healing at L20, it's not doing more healing at L85 - I don't think blizz are too worried about the WG twink bracket balance.

Quote Originally Posted by EreWH View Post
    Disc is a healing tree. Shadow is the dps one.
    Leveling as disc is fun, but it will get slower towards Outland because of the lower dps than Shadow.

Inb4 Troll-picture
    Ok gotcha. Im really not trolling- ive just never leveled a priest before. I heal a lot on my shaman but never a priest. So basically Disc isnt raid worthy right?

Quote Originally Posted by jbblaze View Post
    Ok gotcha. Im really not trolling- ive just never leveled a priest before. I heal a lot on my shaman but never a priest. So basically Disc isnt raid worthy right?
    Disc is very raidworthy, just not as DPS.
    Goozelina The Light of Dawn, Spaced Invaders.
    Twisting Nether EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Disc is a very good healing spec. I prefer it over Holy.
    And I didn't say you were trolling, but I'm quite sure someone else would say it.

Sometimes I worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophrr View Post
    She can write a book about Druids! And call it... *sunglasses* ...'Eclipse'.
    YEEEAAAHHH

As it stands in the beta, Disc seems to be underperforming as opposed to Holy (according to healing priests in my guild). That said, both Holy and Discipline work if you want a DPS build that can heal efficiently. I'd still suggest going Shadow (because it's most likely still faster in terms of soloing content), but if you don't want to then that's your choice.

Of course, this is all talking leveling. Raid content DPS can only be achieved through Shadow, though I assume you know this.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Disc healing = awesome AND fun
    Holy healing = efficient but getting trampled by bulls of fire is more fun.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Is discipline a good tree to take for DPS?
    If you mean PvE (looks like that in the context) then yes its very viable, but as DPS not really, its a healing tree. In PvP they can put out a fair bit of burst however.

It should be added that in cata as things stand Disc may very well end up being a healing tree that spends most of it's time casting dps spells - so your current confusion will become a lot more widespread

10+ Year Old Account
    PvP wise, disc is one of the specs with the best survivability in the game right now. As stated above you can pump out some solid burst, but its not meant for dps. Healing is a lot of fun as disc...or should I say damage prevention is a lot of fun.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    It should be added that in cata as things stand Disc may very well end up being a healing tree that spends most of it's time casting dps spells - so your current confusion will become a lot more widespread
    And the cries of other healers will fill the ether. "Why bring me if a disc can do my job while doing 8000 dps??"

Quote Originally Posted by Ananan View Post
    And the cries of other healers will fill the ether. "Why bring me if a disc can do my job while doing 8000 dps??"
    1 tank and 24 Disc priests should be enough to take on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HawynLegend View Post
    anything over 23 and you can have 100% uptime on Pain Suppression - so you don't even need a tank

Quote Originally Posted by HawynLegend View Post
    Almost. You want to at least fill out the important buff/debuff slots, first.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    anything over 23 and you can have 100% uptime on Pain Suppression - so you don't even need a tank
    But who tanks would shift constantly which would make it pretty hard. All those -5% threat from Pain Supp would add up quite quickly.