Page 1 of 3
LastLast

4.x bear tank spec?

if there is topic on this somewhere sorry, tho all feral topic go from bear to cat and again to bear so often its hard to read em

generally i wont to ask how will u spec ur bear in 4.x ?

atm im thinking http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#0ZfMMfkubzrckMcu

tho dono, talents that i have mixed feelings r:

feral agresion - tho stacking fff sounds ok for tank
    fury swipes - with 3point 12% to get extra whitey - considering akt speed of bear i personaly dont c this as very useful thing for bear
    brutal impact - every 10sec interupt.. here i dono if this is something that we must have, or take 1 point in it?
    stamped - as in my curent build iv got that 1 point iv puted it there.. tho opening on pack with charge -> thrash [extra ticks from haste?] sounds nice for some extra threat @start

so anyway... any comments / build-links will be nice
    cry out

I was just searching the forums with the same question as you.

As the talentree looks atm there just isn't enought talentpoints so we have to pass on something and I don't know what!

I like "Brutal Impact", after being without a descent interrupt for two expansions I really like it even if every boss won't need to be interrupted or that there might be another player which can do it.

So what has to go? duno For now I gonna hope that Blizzard will change the feraltree from the current bloated state and where are those funnier talents Blizzard talked about?

15+ Year Old Account
    My guess for the moment, granted I'm not testing Beta or PTR at the moment would be something along these lines:

- for level 80, when 4.0 hits (add MSS at 81)
    - at level 85

Basically, your same build at 85. I really wouldn't know what else to take, I don't think KotJ+PM will be worth the investment over extra whites (consequently, extra rage) and extra interrupt capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mpm View Post
    if there is topic on this somewhere sorry, tho all feral topic go from bear to cat and again to bear so often its hard to read em

generally i wont to ask how will u spec ur bear in 4.x ?
    I think this is the build that i'd start with:

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#0ZfMG...kMcu:za00qZzMc
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    Hm, currently I´m thinking about this. Ignore the Glyphs.

Only thing I actually miss is the instant rage when using Enrage, but rage generation seem to be better due to normalisation anyway.

I'm thinking about the same spec as Yohassakura although I'm not really sure about FS vs KoTJ.
    Also since I'm really behind on news and don't know how Enrage will work, if it's unchanged FS wins by far for me.
    Think I'm gonna wait until someones does the math on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    - at level 85

Basically, your same build at 85. I really wouldn't know what else to take, I don't think KotJ+PM will be worth the investment over extra whites (consequently, extra rage) and extra interrupt capabilities.
    I'm going with arel00 on this one for level 85. Seriously, KotJ is not worth it due to the extra damage you take blowing Enrage, Fury Swipes is a much better way to go on this. Once your T10 4-piece is gone, you're going to never want to blow it.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2010-09-19 at 04:14 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

hmm good point with kotj ty 4 advice
    cry out

I'm going with arel00 on this one for level 85. Seriously, KotJ is not worth it due to the extra damage you take blowing Enrage, Fury Swipes is a much better way to go on this. Once your T10 4-piece is gone, you're going to never want to blow it.
    Right now, Fury Swipes is a -very- weak ability. Melee might do 30% of damage; at the best, a 12% increase in that is a 3.6% increase in damage, but the internal cooldown really hurts; you are going to get less than half of that. That makes each talent point a 0.5% increase in damage... which is TERRIBLE. (The talent needs to be reworked.)

KotJ is a superb cat ability, probably worth picking up for the flexibility to shift into cat form and put out a big burst (and any situational damage as a bear is bonus)

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a 0.5% if you don't count the Rage gained, which you should. Not that it's any kind of uber-strong talent, obviously, but I wouldn't disregard it that easily.
    Also, let's stay on topic, he asked for a tank spec. I KNOW EVERY SINGLE POINT about the flexibilities of a hybrid spec, I won't even begin to discuss that (we both know how it ends), it's still off topic. Assume the discussion takes for granted that you're going to be Bear 100% of your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

So going from this http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#0ZfMR...ckMc:0zMq0ZMmz at lv80 seem to be the best idea with talents as they are now and after that going:
    1xMaster Shapeshifter (depending on if we need TPS or lower Spelldmg taken during leveling)
    3xPerseverance
    1xFury Swipes for total of 2/3

@Fury Swipes - if they do any change in this id have to be separate for cat and bear.. as its now its still bit odd for bear, we might get it +/- every 2nd melee tho have 12% chance it will be there... imo not that great at all.....

and btw. do we change for agi geming againg in cata, for more dodge and tps? or we do for 150-200k hp?
    cry out

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking icc 10 on the PTR with 3pts in FS and 0 in KotJ threat is easy to keep single target, mobs can be tricky if dps are still aoe spamming though. I have been using 2 builds 1 with KotJ and one without, at this point i am leaning toward the build without mainly for the reason above. Once we loose the T10 4pc, probably around lvl 82 or 83, unless there is a new glyph to remove the damage factor it wont be used much except to pre pull rage build where we will be waiting almost the full 10 secs to get the full effect before pulling.
    Last edited by uzumati; 2010-09-20 at 01:43 AM.

Meh.. hope Fury Swipes somehow gets better.. was trying out some bear stuff on my 80 copy, I only put 1 point into it (4% chance) and over the course of a 3 minute faceroll on a dummy with a lot of autoattacks, I had a grand total of 1 (one!) proc.... ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    In ICC 10 today with 3/3 in FS overall up to the gunship out of 555 melee attacks FS proc'd 48 times being a 11.56% proc rate.

On a side note it was very fun tripling a prot pallys dps as a bear
    Last edited by uzumati; 2010-09-20 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    I dont see why, there are numerous times in current content where its useful to have a tank be able to put of decent dps by switching to cat at some point, such as a tank swap or when their target is killed.

I'd argue that the best spec is the one that contributes most to a raid, and if added dps potential does that, then its viable. If you can hold threat and stay alive, then why not take dps boosts for when you need it.

Of course this depends on the boss and whether its viable anymore, but it should be considered.
    LoL, arel00 is warning you (as will I), this is not a topic you want to bring up with most of us, as it's been hashed out time and again. I'll leave this at you really don't want that flexibility, you just don't realize it yet. I'd recommend searching back for posts concerning this to save us a lot of re-typing.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    I dont see why, there are numerous times in current content where its useful to have a tank be able to put of decent dps by switching to cat at some point, such as a tank swap or when their target is killed.

I'd argue that the best spec is the one that contributes most to a raid, and if added dps potential does that, then its viable. If you can hold threat and stay alive, then why not take dps boosts for when you need it.

Of course this depends on the boss and whether its viable anymore, but it should be considered.

Depends on what you're doin, no progression tank would bother worrying about things that don't pertain to tanking. There is no good enough...if you aren't there then yeah, some hybridization might work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bavarcarus View Post
    Depends on what you're doin, no progression tank would bother worrying about things that don't pertain to tanking. There is no good enough...if you aren't there then yeah, some hybridization might work for you.
    No progression tank would bother worrying about things that dont pertain to benefiting his raid overall the most?

Offtank is still the best use of a druid tank because the other tank classes suck at it.

Particularly early progression when you dont overgear fights I'm assuming there will still be enrage timers pushing the rdps requirements until geared out.

---------- Post added 2010-09-20 at 01:59 AM ----------

Main bonus of Fury Swipes will be that it's an extra rage generating white hit.

3 talents I put in the wait and see, both for end release co-efficents and how they interact with boss mechanics.

I'll actually be interested on how the math works out for Stampede with various boss mechanics in cata, 8seconds of 30% haste if it's only once per fight is a nice gimme for bear innitial threat but not worth it really if don't need the innitial burst(have redirect classes etc). Bosses with knockbacks etc allowing multiple uses per fight may make it much more desirable.

Brutal impact will depend upon boss mechanics, shamblers was the only time i found it especially desirable through WoTLK.

Feral agression will depend on how threat co-efficients pan out for FFF.

Basically boss mechanics will dictate me putting situational bear talents in to get further down the tree vs dps utility talents to get down the tree.
    Last edited by axxey; 2010-09-20 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by axxey View Post
    No progression tank would bother worrying about things that dont pertain to benefiting his raid overall the most?

Offtank is still the best use of a druid tank because the other tank classes suck at it.

Particularly early progression when you dont overgear fights I'm assuming there will still be enrage timers pushing the rdps requirements until geared out.
    Last warning before I go wall-of-text on people! /cackle

The non-wall-of-text version is this: your view of a druid is exactly what Blizz does NOT want and does NOT design around. If a tank needs to go DPS to beat an enrage timer, there's something wrong with your raid, because Blizz does not design raid encounters around tank DPS. You're better off fixing the actual problem with your raid rather than trying to gimp along and trying to do two jobs at once. If you're going to tank, be the best tank you can be and leave the DPS to the actual DPSers.
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Hybrid, hybrid, hybrid, bearcattreeowl. I just want to see Exo go crazy.