10+ Year Old Account

Eye 4 an Eye (prot)

Heya guiz!

Soz if this has been brought up somewhere else before, but since I didn't see anything on the topic or even any mention of it really, here it goes:

I noticed the "can't exceed more than x% amount of paladin's health" line is gone from Eye for an Eye talent wording in PTR/beta calculators. Has that cap really been removed? If so, intentionally, accidentally?

If that limitation is indeed gone, prot paladins may have the possibility of serious contribution to damage on encounters with heavy boss magic damage. It's a passive no-brainer mechanic ofc, but I've always been jealous of warr spell reflect =)

Thoughts, comments, beta info?

EDIT TO AVOID CONFUSION WITH THE OLD TALENT. BETA TALENT WORDING:

2/2
    "All magic attacks against you have a 40% chance to cause 30% of the damage taken back to the caster as well"
    Last edited by zealous; 2010-09-21 at 07:55 PM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Doesnt Eye for an Eye proc off being critted and if you're def capped that should never happen to you (and in Cataclysm I think Blizzard is making all tanks def capped)

10+ Year Old Account
    Beta calculator talent:

2/2
    "All magic attacks against you have a 40% chance to cause 30% of the damage taken back to the caster as well"
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmor View Post
    Doesnt Eye for an Eye proc off being critted and if you're def capped that should never happen to you (and in Cataclysm I think Blizzard is making all tanks def capped)
    The current version, yes. New Eye For An Eye is different.

"All magic attacks against you have a 20%/40% chance to cause 30% of the damage taken back to the attacker as well."

I was wondering the same thing myself, this seems like it would contribute a ton of damage. If this damage causes threat as well it seems like it's pretty much a must have talent.

thats a negative the new build says it procs off MAGIC damage, i imagine most prots will pass the talent up depending on how often in cata the talent is useable

*edit* ^ he beat me to it
    Last edited by Tetrad; 2010-09-21 at 07:52 PM. Reason: someone beat me to it

10+ Year Old Account
    They could ofc make it unproccable from boss attacks.

I'm just wondering if it's intended design for prot or they simply put it there for pvp and never though about pve uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrad View Post
    thats a negative the new build says it procs off MAGIC damage, i imagine most prots will pass the talent up depending on how often in cata the talent is useable

*edit* ^ he beat me to it
    And I beat him to it =)

This probably won't be a huge plus in favor of paladins exclusively- warriors already have spell reflect and death knights will have their spell copy ability. So I guess bears are the only ones that won't be able to convert enemy spells into damage.

Edit: In summary, yes, I think it is intended. It specifically says "magic attacks" and I *believe* that stands for targeted attacks only, and random aoe won't be reflected.
    Last edited by Rude Hero; 2010-09-21 at 07:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not in the beta, but i could imagine it only procs from directly at you targeted magic spells.
    most hard hitting boss abilities are AoE (breaths, explosions,fire).
    the only thing would be direct casts at the tank, and those are mostly spells you have to interrupt or the tank dies.
    I can´t imagine E4AE to be a good prot PvE talent.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it doesn't proc of boss damage it goes back to useless but I don't see why it wouldn't.

As far as how useful it would be in raids, I think you'd be hard pressed to find bosses that don't hit you with magic. Of course there are your Gruuls and the first guy from ToC (Forget his name) but for the most part almost every boss utilizes magic damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I would love to finally have a spell relfect mechanic even if it's passive (although come to think of it I am a bit jealous of DK and warr versions too ^^).

And if it contributes to damage done and threat, and why wouldn't it, that's even better. Adds a more offensive edge to a prot pala which I always thought we lacked compared to warrs and DKs.

---------- Post added 2010-09-21 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Torne View Post
    I am not in the beta, but i could imagine it only procs from directly at you targeted magic spells.
    most hard hitting boss abilities are AoE (breaths, explosions,fire).
    the only thing would be direct casts at the tank, and those are mostly spells you have to interrupt or the tank dies.
    I can´t imagine E4AE to be a good prot PvE talent.
    Don't know how valid taking ICC examples is in consideration to Cata, but eating a frostbolt on Lady Deathwisper never was fatal. Same for soul reaper on LK.