Thread: Mastery at 80

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mastery at 80

So, I haven't been able to find any solid math on mastery and how useful and/or useless it will be at lvl 80. In specific, I'm just trying to figure out how to best optimize for the post 4.0.1, pre-Cata period.

Obviously, I have to swap in a few pieces of hit gear to get to 17% due to things like Misery being removed, but after hit-capped, how do the stats break down? Would it be worth it to reforge some crit ---> mastery, or even haste?

Just curious as to whether there's been any work done with it and how the stat weights might break down.

15+ Year Old Account
    You will be reforging spirit to mastery if your gear is anything like mine. Your blue gems will be SP/Hit.

I dont know what the mastery to % ratio is, but it is a valuable stat. Moreso than crit for locks I believe.
    Can you even reforge at 80?

R.I.P. YARG

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    You might wait until the stat balace before do the math, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    You will be reforging spirit to mastery if your gear is anything like mine. Your blue gems will be SP/Hit.

I dont know what the mastery to % ratio is, but it is a valuable stat. Moreso than crit for locks I believe.
    Can you even reforge at 80?
    last i checked on the ptr, no.
    might have added it in another build.

but i believe you can only reforge secondary stats, into a stat the item does not have, i may be wrong though.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    last i checked on the ptr, no.
    might have added it in another build.

but i believe you can only reforge secondary stats, into a stat the item does not have, i may be wrong though.
    You can reforge Spirit, hit, crit, mastery and haste.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buutch View Post
    Yeah, spirit looks like a primary stat, but it's basically just a green "Mana Regen Rating" stat in disguise.

R.I.P. YARG

On the PTR, Reforging is available. You can't reforge the entirety of a stat but some of it. For example, my 277 T10 Shoulders, I can reforge 36 of the 90 crit into Mastery.

Like you Gherkn, my gear is LOADED with spirit (as Demo). But I do have a full crit/haste gearset ready to swap into when 4.0.1 rolls around and spirit, esentially, becomes mp5.

In that gearset on the PTR and as Destro, I have about 33-34% (974 rating). If I reforge any crit piece to mastery, I drop to about 27% crit (636 rating) and gain an extra 10% Fire damage through the Mastery gained.

But, as I mentioned numbers arent my strong point. Is that 6.xx% crit worth dropping to gain the flat 10% increase to Fire damage?

(I'm interested in Mastery as a whole, but used Destro in this example since that's what I've tested out the most on the PTR)

15+ Year Old Account
    My character on PTR can't even use Mastery...I learned it before but it must have unlearned it since the spellbook still tells me to visit the trainer and the trainer doesn't have the skill to teach me it.

But I did convert pretty much all haste/hit to mastery anyway ;P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacelySprocket View Post
    On the PTR, Reforging is available. You can't reforge the entirety of a stat but some of it. For example, my 277 T10 Shoulders, I can reforge 36 of the 90 crit into Mastery.

Like you Gherkn, my gear is LOADED with spirit (as Demo). But I do have a full crit/haste gearset ready to swap into when 4.0.1 rolls around and spirit, esentially, becomes mp5.
    I don't have this luxury, so I'll be swapping spirit to mastery.

Regforging only does 40% of the stat.

In that gearset on the PTR and as Destro, I have about 33-34% (974 rating). If I reforge any crit piece to mastery, I drop to about 27% crit (636 rating) and gain an extra 10% Fire damage through the Mastery gained.

But, as I mentioned numbers arent my strong point. Is that 6.xx% crit worth dropping to gain the flat 10% increase to Fire damage?
    Removed for oops.

Edit: 10% is the base you get from having the Mastery Stat. Getting additional mastery points gives you another 1.25% per point. It lookes like you reforged and got 0 mastery points, thus making it not worth it.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account

I think it is intended that stat priority will depend not just what class you are, but what spec you are as well so loot is even more randomly distributed. It'll probably work out as something like Affliction stacks Haste, Demo stacks Mastery and Destruction Crit or Intellect looking at the Mastery bonuses.

Edit: 10% is the base you get from having the Mastery Stat. Getting additional mastery points gives you another 1.25% per point. It lookes like you reforged and got 0 mastery points, thus making it not worth it.
    I think we have a miscommunication. Yes, the 10% is baseline. That's what the character sheet says without reforging any piece of gear. But, if I do what I said above and reforge as much crit to mastery as possible, I gain an extra 10%. So, now, on my character sheet it says "Increases Fire damage by 20%".

15+ Year Old Account
    Then yes, 10% Fire Damage > 7% Crit, even if you factor in Pyroclasm (does this even exist anymore?)

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    So far on PTR I am loving the mastery stat, basicly reforged items that had spirit on them and turned it into mastery.
    Think I had a 16% increase of the demonology mastery (forgot what it was!), not sure. Been a few days since I where on the PTR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    So far on PTR I am loving the mastery stat, basicly reforged items that had spirit on them and turned it into mastery.
    Think I had a 16% increase of the demonology mastery (forgot what it was!), not sure. Been a few days since I where on the PTR.
    Demon, Demonform, and Guardian Demon damage. Awesomesauce with the new Impending Doom changes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mana Feed + Imp

Does Firebolt count as the Imp's "Basic attack"? I would assume no, but I'm curious. Mana Feed + Soul Siphon = Never life tap again!

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    I presume you mean Soul Leech? If it does count (which I think it actually should) Mana Feed (or at least the mana return component) needs to be deeper down the tree. They want all demons to be viable for Demonology, and even used the Imp as an example, it would be dumb for such a crucial talent to not function with the Imp in that respect.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried reforging all my spirit and crit into mastery on the ptr a couple builds ago... I do about the same dps... I'm not sure what the rating to mastery point conversion is and I'm also not sure if the extra rating is wasted until you get another full point of mastery...

That's what I had done; reforged as much spirit as I could into Mastery. I left Crit as it was.

As destruction on ptr you never have to life tap its kinda ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Buutch View Post
    Expertise?