Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

cata destro lock rotation. am i wrong?

Ok let get right to it.
    start off with a immolate
    then conflag
    Then you cast a soul fire. you will now have 15% haste + 30% reduced casting time.
    spam incinerate
    refresh immo with fel flame when needed.
    cast soul fires everytime imp soul fire is off cd and boss is above 80%.
    below 80% use reg rotation with fel flame and new CD's thrown in of course.

If one were to have enough haste, would it just be worth spamming soul fires the first 80% of a boss fight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Combat ratings are getting a monumental nerf in Cataclysm, such levels of haste would probably be unreachable.

maybe and maybe not we cant know that now :P

Well, Soul Fire isn't affected by backdraft so you'll have to soul burn an instant cast SF instead of cast it for the haste buff. Also Fel Flame only extends the duration of Immolate, not refreshes it so it remains to be seen if it's worth casting at all in the normal rotation (probably not). Other than the instant Soul Fire procs it's pretty much the exact same rotation we have now except for a couple cooldowns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think Fel Flame is supposed to be our version of Ice Lance. It's something we throw at Warriors (and DKs) when they have Spell Reflect (and Dark Simulacrum) up.

Also, you're forgetting Chaos Bolt.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Think Fel Flame is supposed to be our version of Ice Lance. It's something we throw at Warriors (and DKs) when they have Spell Reflect (and Dark Simulacrum) up.

Also, you're forgetting Chaos Bolt.
    the cata rotation will be as such (guessing..but it'll be this..)

curse of whatever
    bane of doom
    immolate-->chaos bolt-->conflagrate-->(if imp soulfire actually works/is viable..soulburn soulfire) -->incinerate x3 -->repeat inserting chaos bolt, conflagrate, immolate, bodoom and imp imp soulfires when cds/procs are up. It wont be worth it to use fel flame to refresh immolate as it only adds 6 seconds to it.

I've only tested new spells on the PTR so no access to Fel Flame and such. But the rotation seems pretty much the same as now+casting soulfire everytime improved imp procs. Fel Flame will probably be worth using when you're moving and have conflag on cd (and don't need to life tap). Also soulburn+soulfire at the beginning of a fight might be worth it as there's nothing else you could use Soulburn on (dps wise). It's tough to say now since numbers are not final and as someone above said combat ratings are getting a huge nerf as you level. On the PTR I do ~16k dps now in T10 264 level gear...which is roughly double the amount I do on live

Quote Originally Posted by Dumio View Post
    I've only tested new spells on the PTR so no access to Fel Flame and such. But the rotation seems pretty much the same as now+casting soulfire everytime improved imp procs. Fel Flame will probably be worth using when you're moving and have conflag on cd (and don't need to life tap). Also soulburn+soulfire at the beginning of a fight might be worth it as there's nothing else you could use Soulburn on (dps wise). It's tough to say now since numbers are not final and as someone above said combat ratings are getting a huge nerf as you level. On the PTR I do ~16k dps now in T10 264 level gear...which is roughly double the amount I do on live
    I don't really get the Soulburn + Soulfire thing in the beginning, it doesn't help any more to use them in the very beginning as opposed to at like 95% or whatever. My theory is that we'll be using them on trinket procs. Using them in the very beginning just seems like it'll cause you to over-aggro and die that much easier, or at least, have to throttle DPS and then end up losing DPS because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumio View Post
    Have you recently played on ptr? I was doing 16k on a dummy too. Yesterday I barely did 10k. Burning embers has been toned down quite a bit. Mana regen has also been fixed. Now I can actually run oom.

Is it just my impression or are the soulfire procs VERY rare?
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Have you recently played on ptr? I was doing 16k on a dummy too. Yesterday I barely did 10k. Burning embers has been toned down quite a bit. Mana regen has also been fixed. Now I can actually run oom.

Is it just my impression or are the soulfire procs VERY rare?
    I think thats way it is intended think "nightfall"

Wouldn't it be better to use Instant Soulfire before Immolate, so Immolate benefits from the haste too? (all dots benefits from haste and crit in Cata, or have I misunderstood?) Haven't done any maths whatsoever, so might well be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I don't really get the Soulburn + Soulfire thing in the beginning, it doesn't help any more to use them in the very beginning as opposed to at like 95% or whatever. My theory is that we'll be using them on trinket procs. Using them in the very beginning just seems like it'll cause you to over-aggro and die that much easier, or at least, have to throttle DPS and then end up losing DPS because of it.
    you want to take the most advantage from imp soulfire (if it works)

Perhaps opening with Soul Fire -> Bane of Havoc (if there's another target) / Bane of Doom -> Immolate -> Chaos Bolt -> Conflagrate -> Incinerate as a filler. Then pretty much following the current priority list + using instant Soul Fires and getting Imp. Soul Fire's haste buff up as often as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoiledkid View Post
    Perhaps opening with Soul Fire -> Bane of Havoc (if there's another target) / Bane of Doom -> Immolate -> Chaos Bolt -> Conflagrate -> Incinerate as a filler. Then pretty much following the current priority list + using instant Soul Fires and getting Imp. Soul Fire's haste buff up as often as possible.
    One thing - I think the tooltip states you can only have one bane active at one time though right?

Last week I was getting around 13K on the dummy, last night I was down to 9.5K using the following rotation:

CoE -> Immo -> Conflag -> Chaos Bolt -> Spam Incinerate; once Conflag is off CD I hit it and when Emp Imp procs I hit a soul fire. I honestly cannot really find any use for Soulburn in a destro locks rotation other than an instant Soul Fire. Correct me if I'm wrong there lol.

Quote Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
    One thing - I think the tooltip states you can only have one bane active at one time though right?

Last week I was getting around 13K on the dummy, last night I was down to 9.5K using the following rotation:

CoE -> Immo -> Conflag -> Chaos Bolt -> Spam Incinerate; once Conflag is off CD I hit it and when Emp Imp procs I hit a soul fire. I honestly cannot really find any use for Soulburn in a destro locks rotation other than an instant Soul Fire. Correct me if I'm wrong there lol.
    I do the same except that I cast felflame before I cast another Cnflag for the reason the conflag now do damage depending on time left on Immolate ..

I also start any boss fight with summoning a guardian

Quote Originally Posted by HiTmAn47 View Post
    I do the same except that I cast felflame before I cast another Cnflag for the reason the conflag now do damage depending on time left on Immolate ..

I also start any boss fight with summoning a guardian
    I'm sorry, I should have stated that I am on the PTR, not the beta lol. So I haven't tried Fel Flame out yet, but I'm sure I'll add it into my rotation once its available when Cata drops.

I think it will be more like

CoE>BoD>soul burn>soul fire>immolate>conflag>chaos bolt> incinerate

using soul fire with Improved imp proc and hitting shadow burn after 20%. In order for Fel flame to be used it needs to do more damage than the initial damage of immolate. I don't think we know if it does or not yet. My guess would be that it wont. But if it doesn't then I don't see a real use for it yet, at least not for destro .

I wouldn't compare fel flame to ice lance really. It can be used to kill a spell reflect but thats not the intended purpose of ice lance either. Ice lance is meant to provided extra burst, which I don't think fel flame really does. It seems to be an alternative way to refresh a dot but unless it results in a gain in dps rather than simply recasting said dot the I don't think it will. At least not for destro, affliction on the other hand is a different story since UA does not cause initial damage.

Heroism / bloodlust:

if your guild lusts at the start pop infernal right before for max dps benefit. Infernal outperforms the doomguard.
    Otherwise pop infernal whenever your guild lusts.

(above 80%)
    COE,SOULSHATTER--Soulfire (Applies improved soulfire), BOD,CB,CONFLAG,INCINERATE Spam.

(Below 80%)

Refresh Immolate, BOD, keep CB and conflag on CD, keep incinerating and soulfire when imp procs soulfire.

(Below 25%) (No shadowburn glyph = fail)

Refresh immolate and BOD, keep CB and conflag and Shadowburn on CD, keep incinerating and soulburn the soulfires if you havent already used them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hitokirigensai View Post
    I think it will be more like

CoE>BoD>soul burn>soul fire>immolate>conflag>chaos bolt> incinerate

using soul fire with Improved imp proc and hitting shadow burn after 20%. In order for Fel flame to be used it needs to do more damage than the initial damage of immolate. I don't think we know if it does or not yet. My guess would be that it wont. But if it doesn't then I don't see a real use for it yet, at least not for destro .

I wouldn't compare fel flame to ice lance really. It can be used to kill a spell reflect but thats not the intended purpose of ice lance either. Ice lance is meant to provided extra burst, which I don't think fel flame really does. It seems to be an alternative way to refresh a dot but unless it results in a gain in dps rather than simply recasting said dot the I don't think it will. At least not for destro, affliction on the other hand is a different story since UA does not cause initial damage.
    You need to resize your sig, it's too big.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I really don't know if Shadowburn is going to do enough damage to warrant using as part of the regular rotation. It doesn't scale with our mastery, any of our talents, nor the initial benefit from choosing destro. I think it might be good for leveling, or as a way to regain shards in combat on add fights but other than that I really don't see it as something that we'd use as part of our rotation. Or if it does it will be outclassed several tiers later by our basic abilities. It would have to hit REALLY hard to warrant wasting a gcd on.