Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Video games are definitely art. A person took an original idea and concept, designed it, built it, brought it to life... That's art. Anyone with enough common sense knows this. They already have an EMA rating system from E (Everyone) to M (Mature). I remember when I was 16, I got ID'd when I wanted to buy Grand Theft Auto 3 for my shiny new Playstation 2. I wasn't able to buy the game because of my age. Although that didn't stop my 20 year old brother from going in there and buying it for me. I digress, this isn't anything that anyone should really be fretting over. They're talking about murder, guns, blood, gore, dismemberment, etc. I see the same things typically on day-time television. CSI, MTV (Spring Break anyone?), Family Guy, etc. All of those things are classified as art and video games will be no different.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Deleted
    Hope this doesn't go through, else i may just have to do something to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha View Post
    thanks very much for bringing this all to our attention, i figured it was just another nonsense smear campaign like, well the other few hundred like weve already seen.

Not only could this spell serious consequences for our beloved medium, but also it could bode ill for the country.

there are forces out there just searching for some kind of chink in the armor of the constitution---setting a precedence for altering the first amendment to their own ends is only the beginning. If we allow this, Anything could follow. it is our job as gamers, as citizens, and as patriots not to be idle and allow this atrocity to take place.

And the court must be shown that there are more out there then violent games--clearly those wishing these laws passed will cherry-pick the videos shown to the court---those who defend this case must relate the Other games--the times that the medium made us think, and feel. games like Okami. Bioshock. games like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYWLYjOa_0 soon to be born.

how could anyone look at 'child of eden' and read its aim and goal, and message---speak to its soft spoken creator--or at least read his interviews-- and deem that it isnt art? its not possible. it simply isnt possible.

that quote by jefferson about books, reason, and the spark of the artist that dwells within them is majesty--i need to get that printed on a shirt somehow.

This must not happen. Please do something. its in our hands.
    Loving the rainbow unicorn picture with that text.
    People who think they can reason with me are clearly unreasonable.

Practicin' drawing and writing too, might even post a story or two. (no rhyme intended)

Note to beer-fans: Beer's for pussies, mead's for men.

10+ Year Old Account
    When ever the President of the USA try to hinder WoW I'll become a civil enemy.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    they'll most likely just end up taxing them heavily or so, just so the state can have some money of blizzards gain to help some of the economic retardation.

it's most likely just trying to penalize something to be able to squeeze money out of it.
    as why would they change it now, as it was always possible anyway?
    Lokann ogar!
    /brofist
    lotharion: "inserting the Lich King as a scooby doo villain didn't exactly make him scary in the slightest."

Thank god, I don't live in US.
    But what the hell is wrong with US, the hell is this?
    Can thay realy make milions of players stop play there games?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter either way...they don't abide by the constitution here anymore anyway. Stupid fuckin POS country. Seriously, FML, I want out.

Elysia's epic sig skillz

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry Flyingmoney, nothing is going to happen to your precious video games. It's unconstitutional and just won't happen.

It won't happen because the government would lose a shit load of tax dollars, and people might resort to other illegal means of entertainment like drugs and that would end up over populating jails.

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit View Post
    this would effect all games produced in the US.

like the one you play.

it's not about banning gaming it's about the content that can be in games.
    So they move to Canada... Nothing to worry about.

Just another case of parents refusing to take responsibility for their kids. Nothing new here. Move along.

although this could be serious, if the government has any sense they might note that video games are some of the few thing still being purchased at a decent rate since our economy tanked. This also would eventually put more people out of jobs.

But really, you don't know what they'll decide.

Sylvari Necromancer

Nice to see another member of the Escapist here. And yes, I am aware of this. It would be devastating to video games if they were treated as a controlled substance.

How are video games different from any other art medium? Yes, they're interactive, but surely that alone cannot prevent Video Games from being considered an art form.

This is just parents saying: 'Oh, we don't want our kids playing mature games but we don't want to do anything about it. Take care of it Government.'
    If you don't want mature video games in the hands of your children, make sure you know what content is in the game. You'd do that before letting them watch a movie or a TV show; do the same for games.

There is no reason an entire industry should have to suffer because it is a scapegoat for bad parenting. I'm a stupid teenager and I realize this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeina View Post
    Just another case of parents refusing to take responsibility for their kids. Nothing new here. Move along.
    What do you mean I should evaluate my kids psychological maturity/health before letting him/her play games with gratuitous violence? Preposterous!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeina View Post
    basically. especially the way video games are sold now. walmart,gamestop,target and just about any other place ive bought a game always ids.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    It won't happen because the government would lose a shit load of tax dollars
    As if that's stopped them from keeping drugs illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Funny thing is, the US has some of the most relaxed laws about video games over any other country... some countries are downright draconian when it comes to policing games.
    yeah they did that in australia with left 4 dead 2 its banned there cause they think the zombies resemble humans with a rabies type disease

Quote Originally Posted by Failmuffins View Post
    Destroying the Video Game industry would be similar to taking a baseball bat and hitting yourself between the legs.

This will never happen.
    The latter has happened to me....yeah.

kinda proves how im not taking this thread seriously.
    Last edited by arons4; 2010-09-25 at 12:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleveix View Post
    yeah they did that in australia with left 4 dead 2 its banned there cause they think the zombies resemble humans with a rabies type disease
    personally I think zombies resemble fictituous monsters made up for old horror movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    The bill's new name is EMA Vs. Schwarzenegger.
    Thank you, this case went under my radar. Law has always been an interest of mine, so I am looking forward with reviewing the case material in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit View Post
    ok this is important

really important

this coming year video games themselves will be put on trial in the Supreme Court of the United States to decided whether they are art and deserve protection under the 1st amendment to the United States Constitution (like pretty every other media you probably enjoy) or whether they are damaging to minors and thus should be restricted and in all likelihood reduced to "games for children" with no contentious content at all.
    I've just clocked out at work and so will be leaving my office shortly. However I took a quick 2 minute glace at some of the court documents for a quick legislative history, and it seems to me that the case is California wants to restrict violent video game sales to minors under 18, not prohibit the creation of said violent content in and of itself. My source for the documents is as follows.

http://www.mediacoalition.org/VSDA-v.-Schwarzenegger-

Now as I said, I haven't reviewed these documents in detail YET, and I haven't had a chance to watch the video's, but I would like a quick clarification on your assertion that they want to stop the creation of said content altogether. If you could expand on that particular claim, I would greatly appreciate it.

The stars sweep chill currents that make men shiver in the dark...