Thread: CC in HOR

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CC in HOR

Is it just me? Or do the rest of you guys get flamed for using repentance in HoR? It helps out the group in a minor sens. But people seem to get all pissy about it when I CC.

Was in a group that kicked a balance druid for using cyclone once. I voted no because i played the game pre wrath, and back then, if a pull was difficult or you pulled aggro and the tank didn't notice, you used CC.
    Vol'Jin: ...You be no Warchief of mine!
    Garrosh: *deep breath* I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Deleted
    Some people in randoms are idiots, learn to deal with it

As tank (and leader) I usually tell a retri/spriest to shackle/repetance the hunter guy

Unless the tank is very skilled with pickups, I always plan to CC a ranged as a hunter, ret pally, or priest. I almost never get yelled at it for it but on the other hand I almost never get thanked either

I generally run HoR with a guildie tank. Even though we don't really need to nowerdays he still likes our ret pally to repent the hunter and me to turn evil the merc. Suits me, saves me having to dispel the poison. I wouldn't do it in a pug though, unless we were having trouble. Tanks tend to get snarky when the healer is fearing one of the mobs all over the place

While CC makes HOR easier, it is not completely necessary, kill order works just as well in there as CC does.

Unlike most heroics, we still do not truly outgear HHOR. In time it will be just as faceroll as HUK, or any BC heroic with 277 gear.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

15+ Year Old Account
    I stopped using CC preemptively a long time ago. Not because I don't know how, not because I don't know how to play, but because 99.5% of the time, it would be broken within 2 seconds. I stopped wasting the time and effort and the breath trying to explain the dynamics of repentance to groups, I made life easier (and happier) for myself along the way.

I find myself only using it (in my limited play) in situations where there is a straggler out of the group hitting someone they shouldn't be, but even then once repentance is up only then does the tank think to go pick the mob up. However, I've learned trying to use it, and trying to explain it is too muh work and stress to care anymore, I much rather enjoy the game.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

15+ Year Old Account
    CC was last used in early TBC 5 man heroics, I have never seen it to be actually needed in WotLK 5 man heroics, let alone necessary.

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

Deleted
    With a well geared tank and a healer who knows how to do his job CC just isn't necessary.
    Most of the waves can be pulled together and in this case CC just reduces the cleave damage and makes the run longer.

15+ Year Old Account
    thats weird i get a cheer by the tank and healer every time i do repentance and turn evil, its great to hear that
    well at least that was a few month ago.. i dont know now

Deleted
    CC is ur best friend in HoR imo.

When I tank HoR I don't mind if someone uses CC, but generally the only times I see someone do it is when the mob is already in melee range. All that ever does is cause the cooldown to be wasted due to my own AOE. When I run it with friends they'll either CC correctly or make me suffer, depends which group of friends I run with.

TL;DR I thank people when they CC well, but if they're idiots about where they CC mobs then it doesn't matter. Especially if I'm tanking on my DK and I death grip the hunter and strangulate the mage. I can't count the number of times I silence the mage and then watch a priest shackle it as it is running towards me...

Quote Originally Posted by rolecks View Post
    I think I should be able to fly anywhere I want. I mean ffs I'm riding around on the skeleton of a giant fire-breathing dragon and I'm wielding a legendary weapon that destroyed the Lich King, but if I want to take a trip to Thunder Bluff I gotta wait for the public bus while some level 5 /pokes the shit outta me.

Sure if your grp is geared and everyone knows their job you can just pull them together and spam aoe. However a lot of ppl run those dungeons to gear up to raiding level and may not be ready for them. I play a well geared druid and i usually heal for a random if I'm bored enough to run one. I will always use a cyclone if I get agro and the tank doesnt pick it up. It just makes things easier. If the tanks fragile ego can't take it then just tell him that you're sure in a week or so he will be eared enough to faceroll thru them. If dps wants to whine because omg I cant spam my aoe well who cares. I hope cata does bring back CC

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacksauce View Post
    Is it just me? Or do the rest of you guys get flamed for using repentance in HoR? It helps out the group in a minor sens. But people seem to get all pissy about it when I CC.
    I always Repent the Hunters when I'm tanking unless there is a good DK that dg's them in then I just Repent the pesky Rogue that likes to stun me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

I remember CC'ing Runeshapers in H HoL back in '08. ...good times.

In HoR I keep an eye on the mages/riflemen. If I have a class that can CC, and the tank doesn't pull it into his AoE, then I'll use CC. No one has complained yet, though I did have one tank that would go out of his way to break the CC while not bothering to pull the mob into his AoE. That was a head scratcher.

I've never experienced any problems with using repent in HOR, i've not done the instance in awhile. But i never get a good tank, they find it too hard to deal with the instance and leave the random. So it's usually a low geared tank doing their best to get aggro on everything. So i repent things they refuse to come over into melee range if it's given the healer issues. Or i go up and whack it so i get aggro (hand of reckoning) as i can take more damage compared to healers.

But i've never once been told not to use it. I've only once been told not to DPS.... actually i've been told to lower my dps, so my TPS wouldn't be a problem. Even 10seconds of waiting and a start of my cycle ended up over aggroing and killing me.
    Last edited by Kosic; 2010-09-26 at 01:55 AM.

I personally just leave Heroic HOR whenever I get it.
    I also haven't done a heroic in weeks.

But if I was tanking, I wouldn't care, its the healer that matters, if they can't take the damage. I hardly take any whenever I tanked though. I don't see the point of QQ'ing about it at all, other then it would be a little bit faster, AoE>All in heroics!

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's more of a challenge to get a good healer and tank it as Ret mix or pvp/pve gear it's really a lot more fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Deleted
    I try to CC anything the tank fails to pick up before it kills the healer. Only problem is that usually when that becomes necessary, the group has some brainless imbecil who immediately breaks the CC with some kind of dot.

the problem isnt CC really, the problem is people, and more specifically healers, have no idea how threat works. as long as the healer stays around the corner and heals the tank, and as long as everyone leaves the hunter/mage mobs alone, the hunter/mage mobs will come towards the healer as he will have the highest threat. depending on the tank, he can time certain abilities so they land as they run towards the healer. sure it requires a bit of team effort but it's not like this whole process is rocket science or requires endgame heroic mode coordination. the healer alone can make this happen and the tank usually reacts as he is needed. also, everyone should always have nameplates enabled for this instance as it makes it tons easier to recognize what mobs are what and where. Control-V for the uninitiated.

that said, if someone wants to CC mobs, i never have an issue with it. sometimes groups just arent that strong and CC can help. and it can make what seems already easy instance to some, even easier.