Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Gold Cap increase

I managed to surpass the 214,xxx gold cap on the PTR by crafting gems and selling them on the AH. Seems like blizzard increased the cap for cata.

screenshot:

img580.imageshack.us/img580/6259/wowscrnshot092510185308.jpg

New gold cap then, there will still be one.

Your prolly one of those asses that puts them for stupid amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacksauce View Post
    because gold on ptr totally matters...right? seriously if u need gold on ptr you just doing it wrong.. if u ever wanted to buy something there, just copy the character with the highest amount of gold you have 4 times..

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord Altiar View Post
    People need to make a livin in wow to. QQ
    Not on the PTR or Beta where characters will be wiped.

Putting gems on the PTR/Beta AH for silly amounts is terrible since your making it harder for everyone else to test.

You are very welcome to spend the time and money raising your jewelcrafting skill and getting all the recipe's

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinzaram View Post

Putting gems on the PTR/Beta AH for silly amounts is terrible since your making it harder for everyone else to test.
    Someone needs to test out the new gold cap. Just because all of your characters only have 500g combined doesn't mean it is wrong for people to list crap for 100x its normal cost especially since everything on the ptr is like playing with monopoly money. If you, or anyone else, has a problem with it, buy the gems on live then copy yourself over. Problem solved.

Interesting to hear they increased the cap. Must have changed their coding.

meh. people need the items more then the gold for testing anyways.

as i recall the old cap was based on the a 32 bit integer. so maybe they changed it into a double. lol idk.

I heard that is was changed from a 32 bit integer to a 64 bit integer, if this is correct, good luck ever getting to that gold cap.

Quote Originally Posted by haglowicz View Post
    I heard that is was changed from a 32 bit integer to a 64 bit integer, if this is correct, good luck ever getting to that gold cap.
    This is 100% correct, it's probably very very very very very very very very very very very very hard to reach it now.

Good luck, indeed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinzaram View Post

I agree. I made 10 of EVERY glyph and transferred 4 copies of that toon over (Yserian) and posted the resulting 10000 glyphs up for 1g each.

People were so happy in trade chat, lol. It was a welcome departure from the standard QQ!

What would the new gold cap be with a 64 bit integer? 44*10^117?

15+ Year Old Account
    It could just be that they let the integer be unsigned, in which case the gold cap is double what it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by saph27 View Post
    as i recall the old cap was based on the a 32 bit integer. so maybe they changed it into a double. lol idk.
    You couldn't change it to a double. Information will be lost on the lowest digits. 64-bit integer sounds right.

FYI:
    32-bit integer: −2,147,483,648 to +2,147,483,647
    -- which translates to 214,748g 36s 47c

64-bit integer: −9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to +9,223,372,036,854,775,807
    -- which translates to 922,337,203,685,477g 58s 07c

---------- Post added 2010-09-26 at 03:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser View Post
    It could just be that they let the integer be unsigned, in which case the gold cap is double what it is now.
    Unsigned 32-bit integer being 0 to +4,294,967,295
    -- which translates to 429,496g 72s 95c

Quote Originally Posted by pokmin100 View Post
    You are very welcome to spend the time and money raising your jewelcrafting skill and getting all the recipe's
    logic fails so many these days...you can't take the gold to live..so whats the point if you have the gold cap on a ptr or beta..bet you think you get to keep it

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    You couldn't change it to a double. Information will be lost on the lowest digits. 64-bit integer sounds right.

FYI:
    32-bit integer: −2,147,483,648 to +2,147,483,647
    -- which translates to 214,748g 36s 47c

64-bit integer: −9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to +9,223,372,036,854,775,807
    -- which translates to 922,337,203,685,477g 58s 07c[COLOR="red"]
    that looks more like it. thats a lot of gold... better get started to confirm this. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Deletion: Deleted math as it was posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by taters25 View Post
    logic fails so many these days...you can't take the gold to live..so whats the point if you have the gold cap on a ptr or beta..bet you think you get to keep it

Without people like him we wouldn't know that the gold cap had been increased. Obviously no one who takes advantage of the ptr system thinks they get the money on live. You are the idiot for even implying that they think that. People do it because it is something they likely will never have the chance to do on live.
    Last edited by conscript; 2010-09-26 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by saph27 View Post
    meh. people need the items more then the gold for testing anyways.

lol..and some of you have high hopes for wows' future

Quote Originally Posted by haglowicz View Post
    If the old cap was based on information storage it may be likely that the new cap is based on information storage, but it's certainly not guarenteed. They could increase to a 64 bit integer and still cap it lower than 900 trillion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw View Post
    If the old cap was based on information storage it may be likely that the new cap is based on information storage, but it's certainly not guarenteed. They could increase to a 64 bit integer and still cap it lower than 900 trillion.
    But why would they? That would certainly require extra effort for roughly the same effect. Unless they had a specific purpose for keeping players from amassing a certain amount of gold on a single character, there'd be no point to capping it lower than the max integer size. By the fact that we reached the 32-bit maximum potential, it's clear that they don't mind letting players earn ridiculous amounts of gold.
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri (Blue Tracker)
    What you're experiencing is world PvP on a PvP realm. I realize that it's not for everyone, but it's not something that we plan to adjust. The harsh reality is that life on a PvP realm can be difficult, and if you aren't prepared for the rigors of playing on such a realm, then it's probably in your best interest to transfer to a normal realm, or, if you cannot afford that, then consider creating a new character on a normal realm.
    Grim Campfire