Thread: Searing Totem

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Searing Totem

What's the problem with making searing totems range 40 yards or whatever instead of 20? I just don't understand why they haven't changed it yet since it seems really easy to implement a change like that.

And while I am at it. Why not change the range of all totems to 100 yards without having to spec for it? I really don't see the problem with that.

They don't change the range of Searing totem to 40 yards because neither spec uses it, ele still uses Totem of Wrath and Enhance uses Magmastream, but I guess they just don't want to waste time having to change stuff on live?

And I think they don't just increase the range of all totems to 100 yards, because that would be pretty op in bgs?

not sure tho'

The problem is just with Searing Totem as a whole idea. I made a suggestion on PTR to how that should work:

"I would like to suggest and improvement for Searing Flames.

It is a really good idea itself but the implementation is not that great. While running some randoms etc, I hardly got 5 stacks of it on the target I was attacking.

Make it a BUFF on the player from flame shock dots (will solve the issue of changing targets) with the same functionality.

There are few factors that benefit more with flame shock. 1) Flame Shock is empowered by Haste while totems are not (I see this as a really big issue also!!!) . 2) If we are not going to use Flame Shock our Unleash weapon spell is completely wasted on offhand, because there is not any other Fire spell that could be used (since you removed LvB, but I dont mind you did! ). I mean we are used to cast flame shock, and it would only make even more sense with the Unleash Weapon spell. With this, you will make our life a bit easier.

As a fire totem, lets us use Magma again with Fire Nova. I mean the rotation / prio list atm is so empty. I find myself autoattacking for some seconds while waiting on cooldowns. Dont take enha shamans to the state rerti paladins were in WotlK. Some poeple played Enhancement Shaman just because it was slighty harder to master then other classes.

Hope someone reads this ^^"

I dont know if this suggestion ending in trash bin or whatever, but I HAD TO try it. The searing totem mechanic is just wrong.

Deleted
    guessing ur talking PTR/Beta, Enhance specc uses Searing to stack it's effect for large Lava Lashes,
    the reason they don't increase it's range(my guess) is that it'll probably in pve pull lots of other mobs and in pvp it's be too op/long range for a support totem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiruru View Post
    They don't change the range of Searing totem to 40 yards because neither spec uses it, ele still uses Totem of Wrath and Enhance uses Magmastream, but I guess they just don't want to waste time having to change stuff on live?

And I think they don't just increase the range of all totems to 100 yards, because that would be pretty op in bgs?

not sure tho'
    Please do not post if you don't know what are you talking about.

Searing totem would start pulling stuff for you. More mobs = more hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieEater View Post
    Searing totem would start pulling stuff for you. More mobs = more hurt.
    That is pretty dumb, during a boss i'm the only caster that has to be within 20 yards to do some good dps because some retard wasn't paying attention to his totem? that is a pretty weak argument.
    Hi Sephurik

Well we will be using it on the next patch but as it is on the ptr as of the last ptr patch it usless...they broke its AI and it dosnt target anything, and i would assume that they havent increased the range on it for pvp reasons with lavalash hitting for 20k with a full stack of the debuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Well we will be using it on the next patch but as it is on the ptr as of the last ptr patch it usless...they broke its AI and it dosnt target anything, and i would assume that they havent increased the range on it for pvp reasons with lavalash hitting for 20k with a full stack of the debuff.
    Working for me on PTR. Just not on dummies.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    That is pretty dumb, during a boss i'm the only caster that has to be within 20 yards to do some good dps because some retard wasn't paying attention to his totem? that is a pretty weak argument.
    Has nothing to do with retardation, that's just how it works/used to work/whatever. I don't know about the new AI that was implemented, but old Searing Totem was very dumb. It just targeted whatever was in it's range.

Eh, haven't used it in a long time. Either I use Flametongue, or Magma.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post
    Working for me on PTR. Just not on dummies.
    Are dummies not Neutral, rather than Hostile? Because then it's probably intended. Agressive AIs should stay away from those.

...haven't used my Warlock and Hunter alts in quite some time either >.>
    Last edited by CookieEater; 2010-09-26 at 04:25 PM.

Are dummies not Neutral, rather than Hostile? Because then it's probably intended. Agressive AIs should stay away from those.
    Still, when I start to attack it it becomes hostile.

not sure tho'

.... You have no clue what you are talking about. Searing totem is a key part of elemental dps currently. It will continue to be in the expansion as well. I have no clue what awful elemental shaman you run with, but I would suggest informing them that they are doing it wrong and to incorporate this damage increase into their to do list when fighting bosses. Although I suppose if you run pugs and don't look for optimized groups and all around are looking to clear 4/12 ICC then by all means have the ele shaman keep down ToW.

Some of you are clueless.

The range buff to searing totem would be for Ele. I hate having to stand 20 yards back and having to redrop searing every time a boss is moved. Its an ease of life buff for Elemental. We can still manage dropping it at 20 years like we do on live, but its just ANNOYING.

As for the 100 year range on buff totems, I see no problem with it. Almost all other buffs have 100 yard range anyways so it makes little difference in a balance standpoint. The only totems it would be different would be mana spring and healing stream. Mp5 buff is also brought by paladins with an unlimited range, but it can be dispelled. And it's not like healing stream is going to save someone in PvP.

As for searing pulling random mobs, I don't buy it. I've never had a problem with it pulling mobs on live or in Alpha/Beta. Even if it did pull the occasional extra mob whats the big deal? You fight off the other mob or die. Dieing isn't the end of the world and I have a feeling a lot of ppl will get familiar with the graveyards in Cata anyways.

If it ended up being such a massive QQ fest, then just make searing totem ONLY attack mobs with flame shock on it. I know the new mechanic prefers targets with flame shock, but make it absolute and it will never pull anything. If your dpsing and don't have flame shock up your not doing it wrong, so you deserve not having optimal dps.

foxnhound,

I don't play ehn (I hate melee), but the philosophy is the same; searing for single target and magma for AoE. Last I checked you can still fire nova off Searing. You get a few extra GCD's by not having to refresh Magma, but in turn you have to monitor you searing stacks.

Running randoms on the PTR isn't Cata. Mobs in Cata have MASSIVE HP pools. I don't think you will have a problem stacking up searing totem buffs.

My QQ for the day
    Searing totem ^^^

Let fire totems benefit from haste

Give Resto a defensive CD

Sadly none of these will happen, but we can always start wishing for the next expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Shampache View Post
    As for searing pulling random mobs, I don't buy it. I've never had a problem with it pulling mobs on live or in Alpha/Beta. Even if it did pull the occasional extra mob whats the big deal? You fight off the other mob or die. Dieing isn't the end of the world and I have a feeling a lot of ppl will get familiar with the graveyards in Cata anyways.
    I'll admit that I have not used Searing Totem in... like, ever. After I got the spell I never used it because that was during BC and Water Shield was still learned at 60/62/something like that and every drop of mana I had went into Earthshock.

Bad AI is what I was told around that time, and I see little reason to not believe it was like that for quite some time. The AI is very simple, though with the new FS-priority script it should be workable. But go ahead and set a Pet to aggressive, and then tell me it doesn't attack every mob in sight.

foxnhound,

I don't play ehn (I hate melee), but the philosophy is the same; searing for single target and magma for AoE. Last I checked you can still fire nova off Searing. You get a few extra GCD's by not having to refresh Magma, but in turn you have to monitor you searing stacks.

Running randoms on the PTR isn't Cata. Mobs in Cata have MASSIVE HP pools. I don't think you will have a problem stacking up searing totem buffs.
    I dont know what PTR you were checking that on or BETA but Fire Nova never worked with Searing totem. Thats not my point, it is still wrong. It should be buff neverthless. Imagine you are having aggro or whatsofuckinever, you just cant attack your current target and all of the 5 searing flames are WASTED!

Its just bullshit!

Sorry for the bad language.

I'll admit that I have not used Searing Totem in... like, ever. After I got the spell I never used it because that was during BC and Water Shield was still learned at 60/62/something like that and every drop of mana I had went into Earthshock.

Bad AI is what I was told around that time, and I see little reason to not believe it was like that for quite some time. The AI is very simple, though with the new FS-priority script it should be workable. But go ahead and set a Pet to aggressive, and then tell me it doesn't attack every mob in sight.
    A totem is not a pet. You can put it down or remove it whenever you want anyway. If this is a huge problem they can just make searing totem defensive so it only attacks when you attack and targets the target with flame shock first.

For the people who didn't get it yet. As elemental shaman you use searing totem and fire elemental to do good dps (without you are always last on the meters). Especially after 4.0 because all fire totems give 10% extra sp and ToW is gone.
    This means that if you want to do max dps you HAVE TO stand in 20 yards range. This design is not right... it makes no sense.
    I also had searing totem not attacking at all when I put it down before entering combat. Then when you enter combat it doesn't do anything. Or fire elemental not attacking when you drop the totem at max range (LB max range). It needs to be fixed.

And why wouldn't totem buffs get 100 yards range. Every buff has 100 yards range. Healing stream totem only heals your party not the whole raid so who cares? Mana spring is the same as Blessing of Wisdom except mana spring can be killed with 1 hit and then the whole raid loses the buff and BoW is dispellable but it's kinda hard to dispel a whole raid in 1 GCD.

I haven't seen a legit reason why they wouldn't change these things so that's why I am asking why it takes so long to fix these small things.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2010-09-27 at 09:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    This means that if you want to do max dps you HAVE TO stand in 20 yards range. This design is not right... it makes no sense.

This ^^

not sure tho'
    You're definitely not sure. Stay up to date on class changes before you make assumptions based on outdated information. Totem of Wrath will be merged into any Fire Totem come the next patch, therefore making Searing Totem the totem of choice for Elemental. Now that Elemental will use Searing Totem, it needs to have a 40 yard range to equal the Shaman's casting range.

What Blizz needs to do is add a Searing Totem range increase in the Elemental Reach talent. That way only Elemental can get it and they don't have to waste extra talent points to get it. Also, program Searing Totem to always attack the target that has the longest duration of Flame Shock on it. If no targets have Flame Shock on them, the totem does not attack.
    When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.

not sure tho'
    LOL... soo much ignorance.

---------- Post added 2010-09-27 at 05:58 PM ----------

Some of you are clueless.

The range buff to searing totem would be for Ele. I hate having to stand 20 yards back and having to redrop searing every time a boss is moved. Its an ease of life buff for Elemental. We can still manage dropping it at 20 years like we do on live, but its just ANNOYING.

As for the 100 year range on buff totems, I see no problem with it. Almost all other buffs have 100 yard range anyways so it makes little difference in a balance standpoint. The only totems it would be different would be mana spring and healing stream. Mp5 buff is also brought by paladins with an unlimited range, but it can be dispelled. And it's not like healing stream is going to save someone in PvP.

If it ended up being such a massive QQ fest, then just make searing totem ONLY attack mobs with flame shock on it. I know the new mechanic prefers targets with flame shock, but make it absolute and it will never pull anything. If your dpsing and don't have flame shock up your not doing it wrong, so you deserve not having optimal dps.

foxnhound,

My QQ for the day
    Searing totem ^^^

Let fire totems benefit from haste

Give Resto a defensive CD

Sadly none of these will happen, but we can always start wishing for the next expansion
    If only blizzard ever listened to us...

I like the actual design of Searing Totem with Searing Flames, it adds another combo points-like ability that makes our Lava Lash hit like a truck. I think the only problem with it is its range.

They should make it hit target with flame shock or stormstrike effect that are up to 40 yards(or more) away. Would be more useful for both PvP and ele PvE