Thread: Gilnean

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Almatari View Post
    Yes, but there's no reason why they can't have founded a "lupine" language. I'd imagine it being very bestial sounding. It makes as much sense as Gutterspeak being developed during the 4 years the Forsaken existed as an organization.
    That would be silly, given the amount of time they've been afflicted with the curse. Gutterspeak antedated the Forsaken—it was the "low" vulgar speech of criminals, possibly a linguistic substrate or vernacular. Might have been influenced by the tongues of the savage races (Gnolls, Kobolds, etc). The Forsaken adopted Gutterspeak as their official language as a measure of forging a new, distinct, and separate culture vis-a-vis the Humans with whom they no longer felt any great camaraderie. One might compare it to the real-world revival of Irish.

For what it's worth, It is noted in RPG supplements that feral Worgen do have their own language. Maybe the curse imparts knowledge of this language—it wouldn't be too far outside the realm of fantasy cliché and would possibly explain how Crowley and Ivar Bloodfang communicate. But the fact that it's called "Gilnean" and not "Worgen" or "Wolfspeak" or somesuch seems to imply that the language is particular to the Humans of Gilneas, both before and after their transformation.
    Last edited by Direpanda; 2010-09-28 at 11:37 PM.
    Still waiting on the skillscore addon ...

Quote Originally Posted by Direpanda View Post
    For what it's worth, It is noted in RPG supplements that feral Worgen do have their own language. Maybe the curse imparts knowledge of this language—it wouldn't be too far outside the realm of fantasy cliché and would possibly explain how Crowley and Ivar Bloodfang communicate. But the fact that it's called "Gilnean" and not "Worgen" or "Wolfspeak" or somesuch seems to imply that the language is particular to the Humans of Gilneas, both before and after their transformation.
    I understand that Gilnean has already been determined to be the secondary language but I was simply suggesting what I feel is a logical alternative to that. I am referring to a kind of animal speak that we do sometimes see in fantasy situations where someone has been changed into some kind of animal and suddenly is able to communicate with other animals.
    That's mostly the concept that I thought might work with the current condition of the Gilneans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garush View Post
    Gilnean = Common common (aka English englsih).
    Are you telling pork pies and a bag of trout?
    Anyone else notice the Pokémon breeding center is on Route 34? Just sayin'.

"I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world, and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come!" - Hakumen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    Well it's the whole "Why don't Blood Elves know Common?" issue all over again

Lore-wise all races speak some kind of common as their second/third language. I like to think of it as the characters in-game can undertstand common, it is just that we cannot so when we see it we think "lolwut?"
    Last edited by mmocb423f40a80; 2010-09-29 at 03:41 PM.

Deleted
    Horray! Latest BETA build they only speak common. I can only assume that a blizzard employee read my thread*

*sarcasm included