Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    wow! I just refreshed the page =P I think I started a riot and got a guy banned

There is no possible way this is a bad change for anyone doubting it. You wanted some Math on it, here is some Math. Bear with the formatting there is some good data in here.

Talking just about level 80 numbers that people could test PTR, the OLD mend pet healed about 19% total pet life on a DPS pet (5250 over 10 seconds) my wolf in this case, and a lot less for a tank pet (tank pets are used in the Cata example but not in the PTR math).

***** PTR Math first
    (commenting on what is going on in the math above each line)
    old static mend pet healing divided by wolf's life (dps pet) = total % life healed
    5250 / 27153 = 19.3%
    amount healed divided by number of ticks = amount healed per tick
    5250 / 5 = 1050 healing per 2 second tick (10 seconds total)
    (Side note: The tick rate is a buff from live also. On live Mend Pet is a 15 second duration and 3 second ticks for Mend Pet, now we get healing faster and at zero focus cost with 2 second ticks)

new mend pet math
    6788 / 27153 = 25%
    6788 / 5 = 1357 healing per tick (a gain of 307 per tick isn't bad, plus 153.5 Healing per second showing that this change will never be a healing loss for you)

new healing amount divided by old healing amount = % increase in healing from new vs old
    6788 / 5250 = 1.29295 (29.3% increase in healing)

Time 'til full (the time is takes to heal yours pet from magically having 1 hit point to full life)
    Pets total health divided by healing done during one Mend Pet cast = number of casts until full life, take that number, times the duration of mend pet = seconds until full approximately
    Old Static Mend Pet on PTR health value wolf
    27153 / 5250 = 5.172 * 10 = 51.72 seconds
    New Scaling Mend Pet on PTR wolf
    27153 / 6788 = 4.0001 * 10 = 40 seconds (pro tip this is always going to be the new "max" time to heal a pet unless otherwise improved, like combined with First Aid or talents or Glyphs. Also notice you save a whole cast and a bit more under the new system)

--------------------------

Cata example (level 85 template character, avg item level 336, pre-heroic blues)
    The current Cata static value Mend Pet heals for 5845 over 10 seconds at level 85. 1169 healing per 2 second tick, 119 more healing per tick then level 80, so really the 25% change is already going to be better then the level 85 version from the start. Here is the math on two Cata example of the new 25% mend pet, without talents or glyphs showing just how amazing this change is going to be.

level 82 wolf (nothing talent or glyphs wise)
    63354 total life
    (level 82 because when you tame a pet is auto levels to 3 levels below you now in Cata, rather then 5 below like live, so these are freshly tamed pets and not level 85 ones which would have even better results)

old mend pet (static Cata version) divided by wolf's life (dps pet) = total % life healed
    5845 / 63354 = 9.2%
    (note the 10% drop in effectiveness on an 82 pet with the 85 version of the spell, this is why we needed the change)
    5845 / 5 = 1169 healing per 2 second tick (10 seconds total)

new mend pet math
    15838.5 / 63354 = 25%
    15838.5 / 5 = 3167.6 healing per tick (a gain of 1998.6 per tick , or plus 999.3 Healing per second)

new healing amount divided by old healing amount = % increase
    15838.5 / 5845 = 2.7097 (171% increase in healing, uh yeah I think that math is right )

Time 'til full (the time is takes to heal yours pet from magically having 1 hit point to full life)
    Pets total health divided by healing done during one Mend Pet cast = number of casts until full life, take that number, times the duration of mend pet = seconds until full approximately
    63354 / 5845 = 10.839 * 10 = 108.39 seconds, 1.8 minutes to get to full life
    63354 / 15838.5 = 4 * 10 = 40 seconds (Still holds true at 40 seconds and now is 2.7 times faster)

level 82 bear (plus health talents only,no blood of the rhino, no spirit bond or glyph)
    75907 total life

old mend pet divided by wolf's life (dps pet) = total % life healed
    5845 / 75907 = 7.7%
    5845 / 5 = 1169 healing per 2 second tick (10 seconds total)

new mend pet math
    18976.75 / 75907 = 25%
    18976.75 / 5 = 3795.35 healing per tick (a gain of 2626.35 per tick, or plus 1313 Healing per second)

new healing amount divided by old healing amount = % increase
    18976.75 / 5845 = 3.246 (224.6% increase in healing)

75907 / 5845 = 12.9866 * 10 = 129.86 seconds, 2.16 minutes to get to full life
    75907 / 18976.75 = 4.0001 * 10 = 40 seconds (Still good old 40 seconds, that is why we needed mend pet scaling... so we could save 90 seconds or more when healing our pet up)

--------------------------------

All of this is without Spirit Bond, or Blood of the Rhino, or The Glyph for 3% more, or First Aiding or Outside Healing. For anyone that doesn't think this change is AMAZING can keep your old mend pet LOL. People this is the best thing to happen to the spell since it was turned into a HoT rather then a channel. Three cheers for finally having the ability that scales!

Thanks for reading my post!

Deleted
    Thanks Highwind! Thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by Highwind View Post
    /snip tons of math
    A very nice post, though it's a rather elaborate way of just saying 'if mend pet heals 25% every 10 seconds, it takes 40 seconds to get to full' :P I'd rather see some detailed math on how much it can potentially heal with the buffs such as glyph, spirit bond, and/or Blood of the Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwind View Post
    MATH
    you are a scholar sir!

tyvm for the math! but there was no need to be rude there at the end. I also don't think either is enough. My complaint through this whole thing is that 25% isn't enough, its much less than locks get... had a whole post ready to put up about it but I decided against it >.< should have posted it anyways. Health Funnel is more powerful than Mend pet AND they get Fel Synergy. IMO they should lower Mend pet a tad or even keep it at 25% but maybe change the glyph to be a 10 second Fel Synergy effect if they wont give it to us through a talent. I would really prefer to see it as part of Imp Mend Pet or even add it to something else deep in the BM tree.

Ya that is a nice simple way to put it Herecius, but really it should always be less then 40 seconds too because that it was calculated from an unrealistic 1 health point starting place. Really it just shows the degree of improvement the new system will have a on down time.

The math with Talent/Glyph etc modifiers will take a little more work, and maybe some testing to get right. I don't know how they will interact for sure atm. Everything I did was just basic number crunching that I wanted to see for myself even, so I just made the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    You're a better soloer than I, in that case. :P

Don't dig your grave too deep, now.
    On that T5 related note, I think giving hunters a sort of Fel Synergy talent as default might be a liiiittle bit too powerful.
    Compare your solo set/spec to mine, and see if you try as hard as I do =p

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    If you count the glyph of mending, Spirit Bond, Blood of the Rhino, Silverback, assume that Growl is on autocast and Mend Pet is always active, the three heals (Spirit Bond, Mend Pet, Silverback) consolidate to 6,314% health per second for a properly spec'd tenacity pet.
    I'm going to assume you mean 6.314%.

Because 6,314% would be...uh....erm.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningStick View Post
    Does Maiev have a pet?
    Yes, she calls it Akama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

at Voodoou, Clearly Fel Synergy is amazing, and health funnel is very good after the % change as well but what I always thought gave Warlocks the edge was:

Improved Health Funnel
    Rank 1-2 Increases the amount of Health transferred by your Health Funnel spell by [10%/20%] and reduces the health cost by [10%/20%]. In addition, your summoned Demon takes [15%/30%] less damage while under the effect of your Health Funnel.

Important part Bolded, it is my opinion that Glyph of Mend pet should have that effect. It would give pets all the survivability they deserve from having glyphs invested in their well-being. You won't ever be able to out heal dps classes trying to 100% kill your pet, nor should you be able to, but if your pet had 30% less damage taken while also being healed 25% of its total life it would slow it down. By slowing down the Damage taken while under the effect of Mend Pet you would have time to setup a peel, call out to your healer and have them have enough time to react, and/or pull your pet back to give it time for the base heal to take effect rather then just dieing to burst while you are attempting to heal it with Mend Pet.

Glyphing should provide that extra protection to your pet to keep it alive, not just heal for a small amount more imo.

They have to channel health funnel, we can use mend pet at NO COST permanently, all it costs us is one GCD every 6.

Anyway, my 85 hunter's pet has 80k hp unbuffed, getting about 12.5k hp over 10 seconds with mend pet, all glyphs, and tenacity talents. I'm not sure the PTR changes are reflected in the beta though, because this is NOT 25% health over 10 seconds, even with the healing buffs. In this case, this is going to be a massive buff to what is currently a very bad mend pet on the beta. Also, since we're in greens and blues right now, it will only get better and better as my pet gets closer to 200k hp.

I see your point Lysah, about Health Funnel being channeled, two counter points:

1) Fundamentally Warlocks are a DoT class meaning that the majority of their DPS can be ticking on the target while they are channeling Health Funnel preventing their enemy from killing their pet. We also shouldn't ignore Fel Synergy healing until the pet healing dynamic changes, don't let it overpower the Health Funnel focus, it just shouldn't be ignored in the big picture.

2) Health Funnel is also more powerful then Mend Pet at base amounts, and is easier to improve in my eyes. Looking at the base spells Health Funnel is 60% pet health during a 10 second channel (6% per second, like the patch note says), vs Mend Pets 25% pet health over 10 seconds (2.5% per second, only ticks every 2 seconds so really 5% every 2 seconds). Health Funnel gets improved with an easy to pick up 2 point talent in the demonology tree (for the Pet Focused spec only notably), Mend Pet has a few ways to improve. Similar to Improved Health Funnel the hunter's pet tree, BM, has Spirit Bond for 2 points that improves healing received for the pet. Additionally the hunter can sacrifice with-in the pet talent tree for more healing on Tank Pets, Stam on all pets, at the cost of the pet's DPS talents.

Finally there is the Glyph of Mending, I just think that having the option to sacrifice a Major (utility) Glyph should better allow us to protect our pets if we want to, because our pets are our utility in their own right (Their Cata Buffs they give, Master's Call, Intervene, or Roar of Sacrifice etc). I stand by my suggestion for the time being to make the Mend Pet Glyph reduce incoming pet damage by 30%, but I am willing to hear other opinions.
    Last edited by Highwind; 2010-09-30 at 05:16 AM.

I simply think adding a damage reduction to a buff that costs us nothing to keep up would make pets TOO good at surviving. Blizzard probably won't support the idea because of PvP reasons and pets being unkillable, etc. Same PvP talk we've heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Compare your solo set/spec to mine, and see if you try as hard as I do =p
    Upon doing exactly this, I must say, no, I definitely don't try as hard as you do. XD Ok, so it'll make us slightly lazier types totally able to kick Kara's ass.

Also, I still don't think that the health funnel abilities really need to be added; it's been proven pretty clearly that Mend Pet is super powered now. In any case, it's so powerful that a lvl 85 hunter would have little trouble farming themselves their very own 2pT5 to make healing the pet even MORE powerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    thats so sweet im lvling my hunter right now

guess this means no more using shaman healing gear to boost mend pet. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    Hurrah, awesome I just hope they give us a reasonable pet rez, compared to the instant summons that most specs with pets get.
    *whispers* Pssst, you are that instant summon spec with pet in the game. Also rez =/= summon

I'm sure a blue post mentions that it's designed so that hunters have instant summons but long rez as opposed to warlocks that have long summons but no rez. Don't expect a short rez unless you want a cast summon.
    Last edited by Nasser; 2010-09-30 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascherzon
    He doesn't read topics before he posts - he just takes a dump, smears it all over his face, rolls his face across the keyboard and presses post.

I'm pretty sure most hunters would take a short rez over a cast summon any day.

at Nasser, you are right they laid out some guidelines that looked something like this:

Warlocks = Casted Summons, and Instant Dismiss
    Hunters = Instant Summon, and Casted Dismiss

See how they are nice opposites? But it doesn't talk about reviving/rezing pets, because warlock pets don't "die".

Warlocks always just summon new ones if for any reason they need a pet, if you see what I mean. Hunters have a 3rd piece to the puzzle which I think is what the other poster was talking about.

10 second rez is very painful. It KILLS raid dps if you have to revive mid-fight to where you often have to go without the loss is too great. I think an 6 or 8 second rez would be ideal, because it would still be boosted by haste. Warlocks have 2 instant pet rezs on not long cooldowns plus 6 second base summoning for a new pets, and that gets talented down to 5 seconds and then add haste. You are looking at about 4.5 second pet summons or less after locks use their TWO instant rezs.