Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What are the Hobgoblins and Ettin?

Has anyone in beta done any quests explaining who they are, where they came from, etc? It seems like they pretty much came out of nowhere. I know in previous lore Ettin were supposed to be failed attempts at abominations, but their in game models don't really support this.

If I recall correctly, ettin's are the bastard children of Ogres and Giants.

As for Hobgoblins, no clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
    Every class is evenly balanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ettin are native to Gilneas. That's why we've never seen them before.

Hobgoblins were created by the goblins of Kezan. Again, they're native to Kezan, which is why we've never seen them before.

I think Hobgoblins are basically mutated Goblins. "Hobgoblins came into existence during the Second War when alchemists did experimentation on their own race. The hobgoblin was the product." According to WoWwiki anyways.

Ettin look like freakishly mutated Giants or Ogres, or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought I had read somewhere that ettins were half-breeds of mountain giants and something else? Half-breeds of something, at least.

We may not have seen hobgoblins before because it's possible they were previously indigenous to Kezan and other goblin territories.

Edit: And apparently I am slow. Ha.

Ettins = bastard child of giant + orge

Hobgoblin juiced up goblins from potions etc, short life span. Usually slaves/guards in Undermine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Finalwish View Post
    Ettins = bastard child of giant + orge
    Actually no. Ettins lived on the top of the mountains, hidden. The Cataclysm forced them to move down.

I like how it's obvious which hand the Ettin picks his nose with.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I want to know what the deal is with the "dire orcs" we've been seeing. Like the one on the gunship in Gilneas.

Is there a singles bar out there somewhere in Azeroth for misc creatures? Because, i really don't see how these creature shack up to product these kinda of children.

I bet if there is one, it's ran by a goblin...

"Ladies' Night! Lady Ogres drink free!!"
    Is the answer to the Question...

If I recall correctly, Hobgoblins were originally(lorewise) modified Goblins that became a great deal stronger, were purple and act as Guards of Kezan or had taken over Kezan. They also have very short life spans, I think 3 years

I imagined them to be Short, but muscular purple Goblins who were deranged.

Ettin, cool concept, but i think it looks to goofy. They should have made more variations, cause seeing 2 of those standing next to each other is gonna look lame. They just made so much detail on it that, idk. Seeing 2 ogres standing next to each other doesnt give me the same feeling as seeing 2 of these.

I do know that the Ettin are in Twilight Highlands and Grimm Batol.

female ettin

imagine.

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ettin come from the archaic english word Eoten, wich is the translation from Jötunn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6tunn

Anyways by the looks of it, Gruul and Maulgar were on a cave for a reason

If somebody knows how in the world Gronn and Ogres reproduce, please explain. I dont remember to have seen an Ogre female ever

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post

If somebody knows how in the world Gronn and Ogres reproduce, please explain. I dont remember to have seen an Ogre female ever
    I've always assumed Gruul was a Demi-God, so he could create sons and daughters(if they exist) the same way Cenarius and other Demi-Gods do. By that I have no clue, I think being creatures capable of Raw power, they can create them from some ritual or by giving up some of their power.

However, The Burning Crusade lacked female Models on a grand scale, and lore has reflected it so. Even the Mangas haven't shown a female Broken, yet they have to exist.

I dont remember to have seen an Ogre female ever
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Ogre

Scroll down, you'll know it when you see it. And once you see it it can't be unseen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Interracial breeds are so hawt....

Interesting tho... seems like all humanoid races - no matter from what planet or region - are compatible with each other genetically.
    Last edited by Firen; 2010-09-29 at 07:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    female ettin

imagine.
    dude, thats just sick man, sick

female ogres/broken/etc. are just to plain ugly so the designers to avoid to make them unless it is really necassary for lore (like theranzane and theradras)

Ettin come from the archaic english word Eoten, wich is the translation from Jötunn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6tunn

Anyways by the looks of it, Gruul and Maulgar were on a cave for a reason

Tharg in Dustwallow mentions having a wife at one time. As to why we see none in game; you've seen the male ogres do you really want to see a female version of that?
    Last edited by Xeraxis; 2010-09-29 at 07:14 AM.

Somewhere, somewhen.. a ogre saw a mountain giant and thought "Yeah, I'd tap that.."
    *insert old man grunts and groans from Frost Giants*
    Also, again, Blizzard doesn't make gender diverse models if it doesn't serve a purpose beyond aesthetics, or boss models. Female Vrykul seem to be the exception, otherwise the presence of Valkyr couldn't be explained. <.<
    Ogre females do/should exist, and I can just imagine an ogre woman.. largely identical to the males, but with a large chest, hair on their heads, and a big rollingpin in their hand to club their men with.
    Last edited by Dalehan; 2010-09-29 at 07:18 AM.