Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Phasing Isn't New

Title says all, sorry if there is another thread on this topic but w/e. Phasing isnt really a new mechanic considering there was TONS of phasing in wotlk. e.x. DK starting zone, phased a LOT, wrathgate phased,etc. It isn't really new but i'm guessing it's going to be used more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfeller View Post
    Hey, wow. You're right! I never thought of it that way before.

Thank you, heatersgonnaheat. Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who said it was new?
    It's been used a little before wrath, also.
    Experience has shown, and a true philosophy will always show, that a vast, perhaps the larger portion of the truth arises from the seemingly irrelevant. -Edgar Allan Poe

Who said it was new lol? Pretty sure this is obvious information.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I've seen anyone call the Cata phasing new...I think it's just the most expansive.

I think I read somewhere Hyjal is using like, 13 different phases?

Didn't blizz confirm it was new? Not 100% sure but i've been hearing a TON about phasing in cata

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by heatersgonnaheat View Post
    Didn't blizz confirm it was new? Not 100% sure but i've been hearing a TON about phasing in cata
    Yeah because Blizzard is going to use it A LOT more in Cata. They never said it was new tough.
    Forget everything you know about everything.

Deleted
    Err no, they said they liked the feature from WLK and would continue with it and even use it a lot more, nothing new about it.

I doubt they confirm something beeing new when they've been using it for years. There is alot of phasing in Cata and its beeing used alot more then in previous expansions.

The only new, concerning phasing, Blizzard announced during Blizzcon last year, was that they now also could phase terrain.
    As seen in the Worgen/Goblin starters area

WOOOOOSSHHHHH!!!!!

No, it's not new, and they never said it was. It was formally introduced in Wrath, but if you want to get technical, it was even here in VANILLA. See the Benediction quest chain if you don't believe me.

10+ Year Old Account
    They never said it was new.. they said they used it A LOT more in Cataclysm to give the feeling the world is progression as you quest. They also perfected it, they can now change the texture of the ground in phasing, something they couldn't do with Wrath Gate.

(The ground was already burned before the Wrath Gate event happened or something..)
    "When there is an evil justice cannot defeat, what would you do? Would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you carry out your own justice and succumb to that evil?". - Code Geass

Also, here is a link to my Döppelganger ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfeller View Post
    Hey, wow. You're right! I never thought of it that way before.

Thank you, heatersgonnaheat. Thank you.

Couldn't have been said better. I liked the pic freoz posted too

---------- Post added 2010-09-29 at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rammellaar View Post
    They never said it was new.. they said they used it A LOT more in Cataclysm to give the feeling the world is progression as you quest. They also perfected it, they can now change the texture of the ground in phasing, something they couldn't do with Wrath Gate.

(The ground was already burned before the Wrath Gate event happened or something..)
    I can't wait to see the phasing in Cat, good stuff
    Over-thinking, Over-analyzing, separates the body from the mind.

I never did the Benediction chain in Vanilla, but I can definitely confirm phasing being around at least since BC. The ethereal area in Blade's Edge, as well as in Skettis.

So... "phasing isn't new" DUH.

Maybe someone said it is a new type of phasing, where it isn't messed up like the phasing in Ice Crown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    I never did the Benediction chain in Vanilla, but I can definitely confirm phasing being around at least since BC. The ethereal area in Blade's Edge, as well as in Skettis.

So... "phasing isn't new" DUH.
    That wasn't phasing.. that was you gaining an item or buff to let you show mobs.. nothing major like standard NPC's changed.
    "When there is an evil justice cannot defeat, what would you do? Would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you carry out your own justice and succumb to that evil?". - Code Geass

Also, here is a link to my Döppelganger ^_^

That wasn't phasing.. that was you gaining an item or buff to let you show mobs.. nothing major like standard NPC's changed.
    As a matter of fact, that's exactly what phasing is: showing / hiding NPCs or players from others. IIRC this specific example has even been used by Blizzard itself to explain phasing at the start or WotLK.

Edit: found a source: Gamasutra:
    For example, one of Blizzard's most crucial storytelling tools, phasing -- a system by which a particular player's perception of the game world differs from that of other players based on his or her accomplishments in the game -- was the inadvertent result of a simple bug fix.
    Patch 2.4.3 Notes:
    # For the quests, Intercepting the Mana Cells and Maintaining the Sunwell Portal, phased characters will not be able to see non-phased character AoE effects and vice-versa.
    # For the quests, Intercepting the Mana Cells and Maintaining the Sunwell Portal, pets gaining/losing phase status will now properly break off combat from unphased/phased opponents.
    Last edited by Aley; 2010-09-29 at 08:26 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Phasing wasn't used as greatly in WOTLK as it is used in Cataclysm.

Actually that was one of Blizzards 1st attempts at phasing. They just perfected it from there on.