DK cower - suggestion

I want to start by saying ,yes, I play a DK main and no, its honestly not a fanboi or " make my class op" post.

I've honestly always wondered why the class that's death incarnate, would not get a fear or fear type mechanic.

I mean, of all classes to get one, warlocks and death knights should be tied for first from a lore/mechanic standpoint.

That said, I do see possibly the whole keeping classes different argument, there's already several classes that fear and ones a plate tank dps class.

But with CC being brought back in dungeons I was thinking a cower mechanic would 1) make sense 2) give us a more obvious cc, and 3) did I mention it just makes sense that the big undead plate class covered in skulls would have a fear mechanic.

Something like " Player roars at Target with the fury of the damned, Target cowers in place for 30 seconds. Any damage causes Target to snap out of it. Only functions on humanoids and beasts." Or something to that extent.

I would even suggest it not be usable on other players or at least a very short duration, so as not to make it PVP breaking.

I am fully ready to use chains of ice to the best of my ability as cc when asked, and I know if you know what you're doing it will be more than fine. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there as it never added up why we didn't get something like this.

Deleted
    It's odd, the cower animation was specifically added for (thought not limited to) D&D in WoTLK beta when it still made people cower without the glyph, I wish we had something to get it back. While we're at it, I really wish Strangulate could be talented/glyphed/whatever to be a stun instead of a silence, just as an excuse to use the Strangulate player animation. It looks fucking awesome. I am in no way asking for these changes for PvP, or implying that these changes are needed, just before the PvPolice come in here and rage all over me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
    It's odd, the cower animation was specifically added for (thought not limited to) D&D in WoTLK beta when it still made people cower without the glyph, I wish we had something to get it back. While we're at it, I really wish Strangulate could be talented/glyphed/whatever to be a stun instead of a silence, just as an excuse to use the Strangulate player animation. It looks fucking awesome. I am in no way asking for these changes for PvP, or implying that these changes are needed, just before the PvPolice come in here and rage all over me.
    I agree with the Strangulate-looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would love a strangulate stun animation ... it would be connected so much to the lore of the Death Knight as a whole !

I thought this was a threat drop thread. I am disappointed.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

We can copy a spell, I'm guessing if used properly, you will be able to copy a fear.

I would support strangulate glyph for CC as well

But I honestly would love to understand if devs just missed what seems like a crazy obvious CC for the class.
    It would be the first thing I would think about when designing a class with he lore dks have.

15+ Year Old Account
    Choking Shadows
    30 Runic Power 1 minute cooldown
    The death knight crushes his/her opponent with unholy force, choking and immobilising them for up to 30 seconds. During this time the target may not move, attack or cast spells. Drains nine runic power per second. If the death knight's runic power is depleted, or the target sustains significant damage, the effect ends.

Standard PvP duration reduction, DR blah blah blah. Pretty much trading damage (less RP to use on Coil/FS) for control. Plus it would be awesome!

The "significant damage" part would mean it wouldn't break after being farted at (since it's not simply a fire-and-forget move) but would break after taking a certain amount, similar to Frost Nova.
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2010-10-02 at 10:34 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

A cc where you choke the target on the spot , like the op said i dont even care if it doesnt work in pvp, i want something so i'm not a pain to bring in heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Choking Shadows
    The death knight crushes his/her opponent with unholy force, choking and immobilising them for up to 30 seconds. During this time the target may not move, attack or cast spells. Drains nine runic power per second. If the death knight's runic power is depleted, or the target sustains significant damage, the effect ends.

Standard PvP duration reduction, DR blah blah blah. Pretty much trading damage (less RP to use on Coil/FS) for control. Plus it would be awesome!

The "significant damage" part would mean it wouldn't break after being farted at (since it's not simply a fire-and-forget move) but would break after taking a certain amount, similar to Frost Nova.
    Impossible to cast before combat.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foibles View Post
    Impossible to cast before combat.
    That's the point, it's not just a DK sheep because that would be boring.

It also wouldn't need to be CC'd well away from everything else due to its resilience to splash damage (ie DnD, Cons, Tclap etc).

Also, you telling me you always enter combat with zero RP? You wait around at the end of every pull for it to go away?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Since Cata isn't about chain pulling, yes it's very possible to be out of RP, or at least sub 30 at the start of a fight.

Choking Shadows
    The death knight crushes his/her opponent with unholy force, choking and immobilising them for up to 30 seconds.
    I would like my DK to be darth vader too

I guess the best role for our class during difficult pulls would be off tank, especially keeping casters occupied and/or silanced, I can't see them giving every class/spec a CC ability.
    Agree with the fear thing and DnD with glyph before they got rid of the fear effect was the most amazing thing I have ever seen, but also way to OP.

Choking Shadows

This with the graphic that saurfang's strangle has on his rp event. Win

I agree with OP, we need something similar to repentance. Just add spell that fear a mob in place for 1 min if not damaged.
    You can make it to work only with npc and not against players for all i care.

Do want! We really need a cc for pve, and people saying chains of ice or ghoul stun make me facepalm...

Quote Originally Posted by Brince View Post
    I agree with OP, we need something similar to repentance. Just add spell that fear a mob in place for 1 min if not damaged.
    You can make it to work only with npc and not against players for all i care.
    While I don't think Cata will require as much CC as hc MGT, it certainly couldn't hurt to get something like repetence. I can't imagine the likelyhood of getting 3 dps Warriors or DKs and a Paladin/Priest healer in a nonundead dungeon happening very often, but there is always the chance.